The LR4 — Crossing America Offroad with Tom Collins at the helm!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
You mean the one where the range rovers repeatedly broke down, broke diffs, overheated etc. and they had to buy a previously rolled over SIIa "feeble" land rover to scout and help drag them through?

All true, but at least they had the guts back then to try an almost impossible route and they did indeed complete the trip after overcoming all those obstacles. That's the point. They weren't afraid to take Rovers into places like that in view of the world and they got the job done. To me that's what Land Rover's all about and that's why it's a famous marque.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Their audience has changed. They don't make money off of us lot anymore. They make money off of the guy who's wife is complaining because she isn't picking the kids up in an LR4. Oh and you gotta have the HSE package and the little video player in the back so the kids can watch a Pixar movie for the hour drive back from wherever.

Or the rapper who just signed their first deal and needs 24" rims and enough stereo to drive everyone in a 30ft radius deaf.

When you consider those people, all of a sudden this little "trip" of theirs looks pretty hardcore.

I mean, I don't blame them. Look at the Evoque and the new RRS. Both don't have low range and are pretty much road cars. I'm just happy that they said, "Hey, lets not totally ruin the LR4 and make it off road capable".

To be fare, this new audience is for LRNA, not LR overall. I have been in enough places in this world to know that Defenders, RR's and Disco's are being used the way they were meant to (or at least alot more challenging environments than this trip) in personal and commercial applications.

I think a much better example that LRNA should aspire to is the story of that almost stock MkIII that drove from Europe to Africa. Now that was a great story.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
You mean the one where the range rovers repeatedly broke down, broke diffs, overheated etc. and they had to buy a previously rolled over SIIa "feeble" land rover to scout and help drag them through?
Haha, yeah, the one I posted a photo of in the feeble thread. But, to be fair to the Range Rovers, they were very overloaded for most of the trip.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Sounds like the biggest challenge is trying to find a route that stays on dirt....not the actural process of driving on it. Seems to be a little over dramatized. Probably better if you're actually on the trip...which we aren't....

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Sounds like the biggest challenge is trying to find a route that stays on dirt....not the actural process of driving on it. Seems to be a little over dramatized. Probably better if you're actually on the trip...which we aren't....

Maybe they could improve the challenge by routing the trip through all the off-road parks they find along the way. In my area they could hit the Wilds in Ohio, Badlands in Indiana and the Cliffs in Illinois, etc. on down the line. Wheel for a day in each of them. Kind of the off-road version of bar-crawling. . . :ylsmoke:

LR Max

Local Oaf
To be fare, this new audience is for LRNA, not LR overall.

True. I apologize as I typically only think about the impact here in North America. I doubt this is publicized anywhere else in the world.

I think they need to save all the hype for when they hit the hard stuff. If they said right now the biggest challenge was trying to cover as much ground as possible, then I would understand.

umbertob

Adventurer
It's a nice photo opportunity to make some cool posters to hang in the dealerships and for most people who don't take their Land Rovers off the beaten path will generate a feeling of adventure they can aspire to, but if they are doing this on stock tires, the route is not that hard. Tom and Jim are cool guys, but this will be a nice publicity venture with some great backgrounds.

Hey Paul, they ran Black Bear Pass a couple of days ago. Can't wait to see more photos, that trail is as great a background as it gets. Here is one off Instagram they posted yesterday:
df9a17ae038711e3a9ff22000aaa0374_7.jpg

Remember this? Different angle, nicer weather, same place... Ah, memories. :)
79cfdec4.jpg

chris snell

Adventurer
LOL. Broken CV on Black Bear? How is that even possible?

I'm sure he could call for help with that 10' Firestik antenna. Breaker breaker.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Axle wind up? Only time I've heard that being an issue is with buggies running spools in their axles and Red label tires aired to 2 psi out in Moab (AKA, too much traction!).

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Axle wind up? Only time I've heard that being an issue is with buggies running spools in their axles and Red label tires aired to 2 psi out in Moab (AKA, too much traction!).

All I can think is that the LR3's suspension was extended too far and the CV got into a bind? Not exactly axle wind-up. . .

frank84

Observer
Forgive my ignorance on the new rovers, but if you break a CV can you not continue on the other axle? At least on pavement where there is sufficient traction? Even my little IFS geo tracker could be field repaired to continue on the the other axle (ignoring that I could just put it in 2WD and unlock the hubs).

As for the adventure that LR is doing across the US, I agree that it is being overhyped a little but I enjoy reading up on the adventure. At least LR is trying on some level to continue promoting their outdoors/adventure image.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier