The Lost ZR2 Build

BioBum

I love your setup! its very similar to how I am getting my white duramax ZR2 set up as well! Only difference is that I went with a fiberglass shell over the bed instead of a rack. I have a weird question for ya, I am curious as to how you like the fit kit on your tent? I noticed that you ended up not putting bars on the top, (probably because of the solar) but was wondering if you liked it? I am considering adding them to my Autohome Columbus for my skis in the winter, but cant decided if its worth it. Any feedback you have would be awesome!

Lost Roadie

Thanks!

I did have a 70 pound fishing kayak on top of the tent for a minute while on the road last summer.
I think the rack setup for ski's would be a great use of space. My issue was I could lift the kayak up without breaking anything when rested but after a day of paddling I seriously struggled to get it up there so went another route with it on the side. Now with solar I probably won't ever use the Yakima rack I have.

Last edited:

Lost Roadie

Another update, getting closer to perfect for me!

Up first was some BFG KM3 265/70/17 tires, then Timbren Off Road bump stops, Eibach level springs and Deaver stage II overland leaf springs, made for a 400 pound load. Also removed the sway bar.
I killed the OEM springs as they weren't up to the task of many off road miles with a small load, I got the first set of off the shelf Deaver springs for the ZR2.
The Timbren's really do work, making it feel like I'm on pillows unless I do something real stupid.
So far I'm really liking this setup, finally my truck feels confident when the going gets rough, no more banging on the overload spring or harsh engagement of the stops.
The KM3's are nothing short of amazing when off tarmac, excellent traction and tough sidewalls. Not too shabby on wet and dry pavement too.

i-h4WWHFX.jpg

i-6vqzXMq.jpg

Timbrens on old springs
i-7CBbLfq.jpg

i-8cLMHqT-X5.jpg

Old springs

i-J9N4hqR-X5.jpg

At Deavers doing some minor adjustments, quite a bit beefier than OEM.

i-Lt6RtfN-X5.jpg

i-M8pMZRX-X5.jpg

How they make u-bolts at Deaver

i-fLMMnp7-X5.jpg

A.R.E. CX series HD topper... I've been wanting a cap since I bought the truck, seems it would suit me well.
With the internal frame on the HD it's rated for 500 pounds and seems very stout. I ordered commercial side doors and asked for wider roof bars, in Cement Grey to not have white and white on white with more white. Also waiting on some pop up vents to arrive so I can have them open facing forward when it's not raining to create positive air pressure and keep my bed more dust free.

First thing I did, as I like to do is drill some holes in it! Added this port for cable with Anderson connectors, one set for solar one for 12v power going back into the RTT.

i-Lpn5QLg-X5.jpg

Moved the Baja Designs red rock light to the cap.

i-jQPTzGp-X5.jpg

i-3RhMF2t-X5.jpg

Added some light strips for work light and moved the fire extinguisher to the bed. I really like the options having this frame gives, I plan to add some shelves to the top for traction mats.

i-XJdsGS5-X5.jpg

Using some wire rope and crimps I made these to restrict the window from raising all the way so it doesn't hit my awning when it's deployed.They are only permanent on one end, when I want them I hook them around the bottom of the gas strut.

i-hr6PVBQ-X5.jpg

i-hDx63F2-X5.jpg

With my awning blocking the 3rd brake light I added a small but very bright LED strip, seen below.

i-W5prWMC-X5.jpg

i-X34rd4j-X5.jpg

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I just stumbled on your build and appreciate the detail. We just added a ZR2 to the fleet for my wife’s daily driver, and so far it’s an impressive little vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior