The Lost ZR2 Build

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
It certainly looks like you have a fine rig there Mr Roadie. I am glad to see that you are not scared of getting that new rig dirty. You certainly have a lot of high tech solutions and upgrades going on. Thanks for posting up and I look forward to seeing what you do with your truck. Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader

Ramjet

Explorer
Man that ZR2 is really sweet. One question though. How do you like your dometic fridge. Thought about getting one and want to know about performance. Thanks.

Lost Roadie

Very nice! Still ride your 1200r?

Indeed I am, the Husaberg too - just opened my horizons to another form of overland travels.

One question though. How do you like your dometic fridge. Thought about getting one and want to know about performance. Thanks.

I'm quite happy with the dometic, it's efficient yet powerful enough to keep things frozen/cold even when in my closed up bed in 100º+ temperatures. Pulls 3.5 amps when on, runs a lot in high temperatures, doesn't run much in lower temps. Also doesn't seem to mind getting quite dusty and bounced around a lot. Good stuff.

It certainly looks like you have a fine rig there Mr Roadie. I am glad to see that you are not scared of getting that new rig dirty. You certainly have a lot of high tech solutions and upgrades going on. Thanks for posting up and I look forward to seeing what you do with your truck. Cheers, Chilli...

Thanks!
It's a tool not a jewel and this ZR2 is doing exactly what it's capable of.

Only a few more things that need attention in the build - full coverage steel skid plates and springs appropriate for my load.
Also want to lose the front hitch carrier for the winch and install it inside the bumper instead. Not real happy with the 589fab mount and all the slop it has in the hitch plus it effects my approach angle too much.

Here’s a few more shots with the new solar system in place - running just as it should with no more worries about having enough house power.

i-nx8K2dH-X3.jpg

i-zmFDmFS-X3.jpg

i-SqRPvpX-X3.jpg

i-wKkJDpC-X3.jpg

i-RxtP7Nr.jpg

i-2xQJjBZ-X3.jpg

i-crHHHkQ-X3.jpg

i-FZBmxs3-X3.jpg

Last edited:

justbecause

perpetually lost
Not real happy with the 589fab mount and all the slop it has in the hitch plus it effects my approach angle too much.

I believe if there wasnt a good bit of play in the hitch you would be knocking the mount in with a hammer.

My understanding is that the colorado relies heavily on aerodynamics to get its MPG #s, did you notice a drop when running the winch up front?

Lost Roadie

I believe if there wasnt a good bit of play in the hitch you would be knocking the mount in with a hammer.

My understanding is that the colorado relies heavily on aerodynamics to get its MPG #s, did you notice a drop when running the winch up front?

I didn't see a drop in MPG with the winch but I do lose about 3-4 MPG with the RTT on and 5-6 when I have the kayak and RTT on. I get around 22mpg @ 75mph and average 18 on trails and dirt roads with the winch and RTT. Granted if I'm on two lane paved or straight graded gravel roads traveling under 55mph I get 25-26mpg still.

travisn000

There are various pre-made devices to stop hitch rattles.. the easiest DIY fix is to make a shim out of a soda / beer can or two, or a piece of metal strap (thicker).

Lost Roadie

Great truck! How do you like your Truxedo Titanium cover so far? It looks similar to Bak Revolver X2 tonneau cover.

Thanks!
It's working out OK, I get a lot of dust in my bed from the high speed gravel runs even though I've sealed the tailgate as best I could. The cover is the likely suspect as of now. Holding up pretty well after a lot of off tarmac travels though.

There are various pre-made devices to stop hitch rattles.. the easiest DIY fix is to make a shim out of a soda / beer can or two, or a piece of metal strap (thicker).

There's no room with where the receiver lands in between the bumper and grill to install any hitch rattle product, I tried. As for putting in shims, tried that also but the receiver has a lip around the front that has a smaller diameter (and is larger than 2") with the square tubing even bigger. It's impossible to get shims in there to any effect. You can shim the front but with all the slop inside the receiver it still flops around.

Run a bead down the shaft with a mig and problem solved.

Yup, did that too. ran a bead around the winch mount male part that goes in the receiver - same issue since the lip at the entrance to the receiver prevents enough of a bead to get inside to make a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it's all a moot point - pulling a full size truck out of quick sand the mount bent - 589fab did not run a bead all the way down the mount where there's perpendicular pieces. See photo earlier in this thread of the mount before I installed it.
Guess where it bent? Where there was no weld.

Seems like a rushed to market product and I will be replacing it with a behind the bumper permanent winch mount.

Last edited:

Lost Roadie

Update!

To help deal with the extremely dusty conditions I find myself in regularly I installed a AEV snorkel and Sy-Klone pre filter. https://www.sy-klone.com/series9000.html

I found the install straightforward with the good directions, a AEV video and with the other info that has been posted.
About 3 hours total, including painting the exposed metal. The first two hours wasn't really difficult but quite stressful especially after the first centerpunch until I got it in and could see everything lined up.

i-BFhw67j-X5.jpg

i-VFM2kfc-X5.jpg

i-QpjLLrs.jpg

i-QnSFQCG.jpg

Next up is a modification to the solar setup, instead of having 250 watts (100, 100, 50) going into the house battery I separated the 50w panel on the cab and installed a separate PWM controller to charge the starter battery.

While parked and using the wifi hotspot (gasp!) or stereo the 50w will just about keep up with what the truck uses. I measured a 3.2amp load when the ignition is on and can get 2.9amps from the solar. It will also be a set and forget battery tender while I'm gone for months working.

Two weeks ago I had to run my engine on and off to keep the starter battery charged when needing the wifi all day for a remote work site (truck wifi worked, limited cell phones), last week I was able to test the reconfigured system.
Having the fridge/freezer run almost constantly in 100º+ weather and charging multiple laptops (group work trip) the 200w on the RTT and house battery can keep up 24/7. Having the ignition on all day for us to use the wifi hotspot the 50w solar kept my battery above 12.5v.
Also installed a 50amp Anderson plug to disconnect the RTT solar when I want to take it off.

i-V26Hwv6-X5.jpg

Basecamp at Coachella, required for work wifi plus cold beer and popsicles for the crew - priceless.

i-MwtBq8W-X5.jpg

B

BPD53

Nice looking Colorado.

If you ever get to WV I’d like to get a photo of yours and mine together. :sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne