The Land Yacht 2006 dodge megacab cummins

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Friday night we drove up to Grand Coulee for my sons rodeo, rolled into contestant parking at 11PM, took about 5 minutes to setup camp and another 10-15 to get bedding situated lol. We are going to be selling this tent though, after owning it for 5 years, our kid is bigger now and theres just not enough room to be comfortable in it.

wCRZMoZ.jpg

7EBLKCa.jpg

and the reason for all of it
yPcqoVV.jpg

35Quyry.jpg

calf comes out of the chute about 10 feet and hit the park brake and stopped on a dime.... the kid did not stop
xEnlRup.jpg

andytruck

Observer
Those roof-top tents are cool for sure and luxury for tent camping, but for those that own them what are you really getting?
It is a tent. All I see is that it is on the roof, off the ground, and very stable and securely attached to the vehicle.
I dont get it.
Have a flat platform on the roof, air up a mattress, put a tent and anchor it up there and you have the same. AND you save a huge huge big wad of roof luggage and space by not having that huge giant albatross of a tent on the roof all the time.
I cant tell that these tents save time. They do not save space. They are expensive. They are all fabric same as a walmart tent.
I have one of those tents you toss in the air and it sets itself up which would be faster. I could anchor that to the roof, or most of the time the ground would be fine and it takes up nearly no space.
What's the attraction to these roof tents?

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Those roof-top tents are cool for sure and luxury for tent camping, but for those that own them what are you really getting?
It is a tent. All I see is that it is on the roof, off the ground, and very stable and securely attached to the vehicle.
I dont get it.
Have a flat platform on the roof, air up a mattress, put a tent and anchor it up there and you have the same. AND you save a huge huge big wad of roof luggage and space by not having that huge giant albatross of a tent on the roof all the time.
I cant tell that these tents save time. They do not save space. They are expensive. They are all fabric same as a walmart tent.
I have one of those tents you toss in the air and it sets itself up which would be faster. I could anchor that to the roof, or most of the time the ground would be fine and it takes up nearly no space.

They are not for everyone but they are definitely not the same material as a walmart tent. I have not seen a "throw in the air tent" that is big enough for more than 1 person, but if its just you and thats what you wanna use then be my guest.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
After getting rained out the other weekend at the toyotirestrailpass I was really missing our RTT (that sold the same day listed). I just ordered a new one today but this one is bigger and will fit all of us better. its supposed to be here Wednesday, I will get it mounted up Friday, and we are planning on camping Saturday. also looking at a foxwing awning with annex, but that will not be available for next weekend.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
That was quick! I ordered the tent yesterday, I just got a call "ya i'm here with your tent, where do you want it?"

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
My last roof top tent was a CVT brand and while the tent itself was awesome and we had no complaints, it was small and we outgrew it. So we sold it and I started looking at bigger tents, I ended up ordering a Smittybilt Overlander XL roof top tent basically due to price. We ended up getting the biggest one with a king size bed for about 1/3 the price of the comparable CVT. I know it is usually you get what you pay for, and that me end up biting me in the ass later, but the Smittybilt tent has pretty good reviews except for bedding thickness (same complaint as CVT) and shipping damage (which I really wouldn't put on Smittybilt). Initial out of the box review... if it wasn't for small things like the cover is different and the logo, I wouldn't be able to tell you who made the tent.

Remember I mentioned shipping damage was a big complaint, not with where mine came from. I still cant believe i got it next day also with free shipping.

W4u4iCZ.jpg

It took me an afternoon of running to town for material, coming home and welding up a third brace for my rack, getting the rails mounted to the tent and mounting the tent to the truck. Next summer I am planning on adding one of the wing style awnings and building a new rack, this one has been modified 3 times for 2 different trucks and 2 different tents.

KGWiZVU.jpg

Frogprince

Observer
I dont get it.

I went from a ground tent, to a RTT and then back to a ground tent.

RTTs are nice when it comes to ease of use. You can basically pull up and within a few minutes have a camp setup and be enjoying a beer. Though that is where I think the benefits end.

At first we had a smaller one attached to the top of our vehicle. Since we are not in to overlanding as much as find a nice spot then explore it meant having to fold up ever morning and set up every night. Now if you are into overlanding this is a big plus since they can be unfolded and setup quickly.

So we moved to a M416 trailer and a larger tent. The tent was great, warm and kept us dry. The mattress wasn't comfortable even after modifications. Then being tall I couldn't stand up in it. So that meant getting down into the annex to get dressed or find basically anything. So we sold the trailer and tent and went back to a cabin tent.

So I agree with you they are expensive, they are small and but do save time when it comes to setup and a good brand is tough as nails.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
little bit of snow this weekend in the PNW, this wasnt much compared to other places

KNdwP16.jpg

0G2QZvs.jpg

Stopped at the Tucannon Campground for lunch

waAIFFp.jpg

Theres more pics in the adventure section.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
Did an over-nighter this weekend up the Yakima River Canyon.

Much more space sleeping in the new tent, still need a thicker mattress though
jCJx8EH.jpg

Had the kid hammering tent stakes
9t8mH4o.jpg

then once camp was setup it was fishing time
jANqKpM.jpg

Then it was time to relax by the fire
YLORmBc.jpg

ckupq

Observer
Nice looking truck. I bought me a 2005 quad cab cummins, I love the gobs of power it has, but I wish it had an extra gear at top end. Cruising in 80mph at 2250 gets a bit loud in the cab.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
sometimes its the small things. The plug end for the block heater flops around on the bumper and has scratched it up pretty good, I will try and buff it out but I dont have to worry about anymore damage.

Odvk60w.jpg

I had one of these on my old stepside, they are great and for less than $20.

8nIrbEl.jpg

Kx28kmo.jpg

ckupq

Observer
Got a link for that plug? I need to do something like that on my father's powerstroke. That is a great idea!

ckupq

Observer
Thinking the dual link one so I could hardwire in a battery tender. Last year I had a hell of a time keeping the batteries up enough to start dad's diesel while I had it. thinking a BT may be handy to wire in.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
As some of you may have seen in my thread for my Jimmy, the mega cab ate the fan clutch wiring harness. Pretty common for these, also pretty common was the fiasco of trying to remove the fan clutch and rounding it off with the parts stores rental tool. After looking things over for a bit I dont think the wiring was ever hooked up when we bought the truck. Its never really over heated, the fan still moves, it has warmed up a bit pulling a load up hill but has always cooled off once cresting the grade.

While doing some research on the fan clutch it seems there are a couple different ways to get around the electric fan clutch. I ordered a dodge V10 fan clutch (bi-metal spring) and a 2001 Powerstroke fan from rockauto shipped for just over $100. The parts stores want $225 for a stock electric replacement. I also ordered a 36MM wrench (which I couldnt find in town) to hopefully still have enough of the fan clutch to grab and remove. Everything should be here this week so Saturday I will be at it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles