The Land of Aus - Australia E7 Trip Report

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
2016? I've got some big plans in the works for this next year but perhaps late 2015 or 2016? I'd like to get up to Cape York, Darwin or Perth this go around.

Missed this earlier but heck yeah! I've done Cape York but it's a beautiful part of Oz. Went close to Darwin but kept driving West due to time but lots to see in that area. There is one spot up there that would be cool to get in, limited permits per year, remote, beautiful and deadly due to crocks mostly...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Missed this earlier but heck yeah! I've done Cape York but it's a beautiful part of Oz. Went close to Darwin but kept driving West due to time but lots to see in that area. There is one spot up there that would be cool to get in, limited permits per year, remote, beautiful and deadly due to crocks mostly...

And now that you've defected from Aus, what are we going to do for wheels? :D

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Good question. I do know of a couple LandCruisers that are set up and ready for adventure only catch is their owners would be coming along for the ride!

cruiseroutfit

Good question. I do know of a couple LandCruisers that are set up and ready for adventure only catch is their owners would be coming along for the ride!

Well if you need an Aussie who hasn't been to Cape York to tag along......

Sounds like we have an adventure in the making. Perhaps we can get Matt Scott and his new troopy along for the ride?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Great pics and write up Kurt!

I had a hell of a good time over there in 2008. All over the West Coast. Spent my birthday on Fraser Island in a rented DC diesel Hilux. Just me, the Hilux, the beach, dingo's and warm Guiness. Fraser is pretty touristy but I didn't have any issues finding secluded spots. I certainly saw lot's of people but didn't see many on the tracks or where I was camping. Had a really fun day and overnight out at Stockton Beach too. Memories to last a lifetime.

Really want to go back and do bigger adventures. It is just soooo expensive and since I started driving south I am finding I can easily spend a lifetime in Latin America and never see it all. I recall a case of Tooheys Old running between $60-80. A bottle of Bundy rum the same price. When my friends filled up their trucks, it was outrageous! I had a really good time over there, the Aussie's are such fun and awesome people. You just need a chunk of change for a trip over there, that is the only downfall I see in any of it.

Cheers

unkamonkey

Explorer
About 30 years ago a friend went to Perth as an engineer. He thought about retireing there. 4 more trips over the years, the last about 1year ago. It was less expensive to buy a house on the coast of OR. and pay for the Country Club membership.

cruiseroutfit

Great pics and write up Kurt!

Thanks. And happy birthday!

I had a hell of a good time over there in 2008. All over the West Coast. Spent my birthday on Fraser Island in a rented DC diesel Hilux. Just me, the Hilux, the beach, dingo's and warm Guiness. Fraser is pretty touristy but I didn't have any issues finding secluded spots. I certainly saw lot's of people but didn't see many on the tracks or where I was camping. Had a really fun day and overnight out at Stockton Beach too. Memories to last a lifetime.

Fraser rocks! I'd love to spend some more time there. We found a pretty neat ghost town on Fraser along a super overgrown "not suitable for tourist traffic" track in the thick growth. I'd love to get back there and spend more time exploring the island and hanging with my toes in the sand.

want to go back and do bigger adventures. It is just soooo expensive and since I started driving south I am finding I can easily spend a lifetime in Latin America and never see it all. I recall a case of Tooheys Old running between $60-80. A bottle of Bundy rum the same price. When my friends filled up their trucks, it was outrageous! I had a really good time over there, the Aussie's are such fun and awesome people. You just need a chunk of change for a trip over there, that is the only downfall I see in any of it.

Cheers

Agreed, the US Dollar value isn't helping over there either. I use the "Can of Coke" comparison when people ask how prices were in the placed I've traveled. CenAm is like a $.50 can of Coke (bottle, but you get the comparison) and Aussie is like a $3 can :D

You should join us for a return trip!

bernald

Welcome

Hi cruiseroutfit's..Really so amazing after read the Australia E7 trip report..I am so get enjoyed...Thanks for your sharing in this forum...keep in touch with us..When the next trip started ???Thank you..:drool::)

cruiseroutfit

Hi cruiseroutfit's..Really so amazing after read the Australia E7 trip report..I am so get enjoyed...Thanks for your sharing in this forum...keep in touch with us..When the next trip started ???Thank you..:drool::)

Well at least the spammers enjoy my trip reports :D

Next trip... starts next week ;)

grimbo

Explorer

Fraser rocks! I'd love to spend some more time there. We found a pretty neat ghost town on Fraser along a super overgrown "not suitable for tourist traffic" track in the thick growth. I'd love to get back there and spend more time exploring the island and hanging with my toes in the sand.

Agreed, the US Dollar value isn't helping over there either. I use the "Can of Coke" comparison when people ask how prices were in the placed I've traveled. CenAm is like a $.50 can of Coke (bottle, but you get the comparison) and Aussie is like a $3 can :D

Price of coke has come down, you can get them for $2.20

cruiseroutfit

Price of coke has come down, you can get them for $2.20

Alright, that seals the deal... I'm headed back. Let's make this a reality for 2016!

Now if I could find Mountain Dew on fountain in Alice Springs I'd move :)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader

Thanks and always up for a trip if I can afford it and have the time. So hit me up anytime! Got some friends there I wouldn't mind seeing again. Would love to do the Cape. ;)

I really liked Fraser, such a diversity of flora and fauna. Like I said I didn't see many people except at the hot spots.

I was really impressed with Royal National Park too. Just outside Sydney. Stunning and beautiful! I was also very surprised at how easy it was there to get away from people and have a whole beach or trail or whatever to myself. Sydney is not a small city and the park is right next to it. Never seen anything like it here in the states.

I think it would be easy to spend a lifetime in Oz and not see it all. Really fantastic country. Sky diving over the Whit Sundays was also a highlight of my trip. That and getting to hang out with Yuri in Toowoomba and drive is rock buggy was pretty fantastic. Really the whole trip was excellent, not a single bad moment I can remember.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles