The Land of Aus - Australia E7 Trip Report

Willman

What a great ending Kurt! Thanks for taking the time to post this great trip up from your eyes.

:drool:

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Great write up and I have seen some of the highlight videos :) I am planning a trip to Cape York next year from Darwin to the Tip via the Savannah Highway. I think it will be a great adventure and one of many that I will take in my new DualCab landcruiser.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Great write up and I have seen some of the highlight videos :) I am planning a trip to Cape York next year from Darwin to the Tip via the Savannah Highway. I think it will be a great adventure and one of many that I will take in my new DualCab landcruiser.

Glad you enjoyed it. Cape York is still on my hit list... one day.

Be sure to post a trip report when you do it, I'd love to see it!

cruiseroutfit

Nice, well done. That is one whirl wind tour, but glad you enjoyed the back yard.

When we play, we play hard. Both of my Australia trips have been a bit on the whirl wind side but that is how I like to roll in my personal travels so it jives. We just finished a one week, 3700 mile round trip jaunt to the bottom of Mexico's Baja peninsula and back... oh with a 1275 mile desert race in between. I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

cruiseroutfit

Do you all have records of what your average liters per 100km was on the Canning?

Yes, we kept fuel logs for each truck the entire duration of E7 per the wish of Greg M. It turned out to be a really neat exercise to see the variance in fuel costs, location and economy.

For the Canning specifically I only have the log book data from the Sherpa II in which I was driving. I'd expect its economy to be slightly below that of the other two VDJ78's as we were carrying the fuel supply and much of the teams food and gear as well.

Full tank (190L capacity) @ Wiluna (6877 kms on ODO). ~40 liters out of drums @ Durbin Springs. ~50 liters out of drums along route. 128.68 liters @ Kunawarratji (7832 kms on ODO). So from Wiluna to Kuna we took 218.68 liters for 955 kms or 4.36 kms/liter :eek: From Kuna to Halls Creek we used 156.78 liters for 833 kms or 5.31 kms.liter. We had less load and better road condintions on the back half of the Canning.

BTW, fuel at Kuna... $3.40(AUD) per liter.

Let me know if that is what you're looking for.

cruiseroutfit

I would in a heart beat. There are quite a few epic tracks that i never crossed off the "4WD to do" list. Tell me when...

2016? I've got some big plans in the works for this next year but perhaps late 2015 or 2016? I'd like to get up to Cape York, Darwin or Perth this go around.

Outback

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I'm looking to take my wife and (2) kids with me to the land of Oz in 2 years. Originally I was planning Land Rovers but the Troopy has caught my eye. They would be 1992 or older so I wont have the v8 Diesel. The Inline 6 Diesel will do just fine for me though. I can mount tanks that will be from 180 combined to 260 ltrs combined. That's if I plan to do the Canning. For the initial Cape York Track the stock 180 tanks will be fine. Thanks for your input. I'm assuming the Sherpa II was at max load for a great part of the run. That's about 10.5 mpg or so off hand. Plus the engine was not broke in yet. Sand tracks will also make a huge difference. How did she handle all the weight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles