The JATAC: A self-contained, solar-powered expedition vehicle

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I found out about this researching solar options. Is there a build thread here on expo?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Did they get the camper for free since FWC is a sponsor?

No, we didn't.

I've posted a number of articles on our Overland Tech and Travel site, here. If you search for JATAC you'll find them all.

ETA8VR, our solar power system comprises two 100-watt semi-rigid panels from Global Solar. They attach directly to the roof via an adhesive backing, thus the total wind profile is about one inch:

8267748122_c5e8e29091_z.jpg

A single panel would have been enough to handle our basic needs (fridge, lights, etc.), but we wanted plenty of extra input for powering computers and recharging camera batteries on the road. They've been working perfectly; we're usually at 13.5 volts within 30 minutes of sunrise. We could probably sell power at group campsites . . .

Southpier, the shower is the factory unit that comes in the Fleet model with the forward dinette option. It works extremely well and isn't a pain to set up. There's also an external jack for the shower wand when the weather is good and you're not in the middle of a big group of people. You can see the shower grate under the dinette in this photo, and the white cover for the controls on the side of the galley cabinet:

8408125493_cef78cbef7_z.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Jonathan,

I'm guessing you took a minute to check out the new FWC flatbed camper, which made its debut at OX13. If you were starting the JATAC project today, would you consider the flatbed, or stick with the slide-in camper?

Comparing the flatbed with the slide-in, the weight is pretty close. The flatbed camper is wider and taller, so it's heavier. The flatbed is lighter than the Toyota composite truck bed. The flatbed might offer more utility than the truck bed. You can order bed sides from Ute, Ltd. for use when the camper is removed. That nifty Ute Ltd slide-out drawer that fits under the flatbed would be a provide storage for long items, like Maasai shields.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Yeah, what he said!

That was a beaut of a ute... and that brake-over angle and side entrance. Pretty sweet.

AFSOC

Explorer
Jonathan,

I'm guessing you took a minute to check out the new FWC flatbed camper, which made its debut at OX13. If you were starting the JATAC project today, would you consider the flatbed, or stick with the slide-in camper?

x4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles