The Hurt Locker - 2003 E350 v7.3 Crestline Ambulance Build Thread

Todsleeman

Ask and you shall receive... Was looking for a RV ladder to add for roof access and found a perfect one waiting for me at the dump.

Does anyone do any anti rust/corrosion measures for any holes they add into the box for mounting points? Or if cutting in a window?

PXL_20210509_224115888.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
For mountings holes... glob of silicon in the hole, bolt it together. Should be layer of silicone through the hole and a layer sandwiched between the mounts and the box. Should be sealed air & water tight.

iggi

Ian
"I wired directly to the aux batteries as you said and now understand the "switch" aspect since it has an output on the charge controller for a component. I don't think I'm going to take advantage of this and keep my switches all managed from the batteries/relays."

Great progress! I've found running the load side through the solar charge controller useful in keeping track of how much power I'm using but there are other ways to measure that.

iggi

Ian
I'm not a metallurgist nor do I pretend to be one on TV but.. I do deal with the long term use of fasteners in outdoor environments. As I understand the biggest problem with aluminum is galvanic corrosion between it and other metals. There is a reason Crestline uses so much stainless steel hardware.

Ask and you shall receive... Was looking for a RV ladder to add for roof access and found a perfect one waiting for me at the dump.

Does anyone do any anti rust/corrosion measures for any holes they add into the box for mounting points? Or if cutting in a window?

View attachment 659555

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm not a metallurgist nor do I pretend to be one on TV but.. I do deal with the long term use of fasteners in outdoor environments. As I understand the biggest problem with aluminum is galvanic corrosion between it and other metals. There is a reason Crestline uses so much stainless steel hardware.
The door stops on my Crestline were originally mounted with Aluminum 1/4-20 Allen head bolts. After 20 years they almost all snapped when I was tidying up. I replaced them with high grade SS.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
Yes, be careful of the reaction between aluminum and other metals like steel. Always try to use stainless hardware when in contact with aluminum as it seems to react the least.

Todsleeman

Thanks for the info... Stainless steel hardware it is!

Been working hard on the interior and it's all coming together. Installed the ceiling and remounted the lights. I built up the bedframe and since I have a spare queen size mattress, that's my dimensions. Decided to cut up the shelving unit before taking most of it to the dump but kept a set of two with a locking compartment for one of the side of the frame and a bit of extra storage. Benches and walls next.

Oh and it rained today and nothing leaked so I'm pretty happy with my siliconed mounting holes.

Attachments

• PXL_20210507_235902474.jpg
    PXL_20210507_235902474.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20210514_002731179.jpg
    PXL_20210514_002731179.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20210517_021531644.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210517_021531644.MP.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20210518_013305016.PANO.jpg
    PXL_20210518_013305016.PANO.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 45

Garybizzo

Hey David, just bought a 2013 e350 super duty ambo, In overwhelm like I am sure you all have been there. Think I need one one to look at the current interior and maybe offer suggestion plus some shop t odo the electrical. I’m in Burnaby ceo@garybizzo.com
appreciate a little help for a newbie

Welcome in the group! All I can say is you're going in the right direction by stripping it and getting rid of all the electrical that aren't needed. Save all your relays and wires, they'll come handy! A few of us with the same or similar ambos have done it all so don't be afraid to go look at our old posts or ask for specifics.

If you're nearby Vancouver stop by to say hi!

Cheers
David

Abitibi

Explorer
Hey David, just bought a 2013 e350 super duty ambo, In overwhelm like I am sure you all have been there. Think I need one one to look at the current interior and maybe offer suggestion plus some shop t odo the electrical. I’m in Burnaby ceo@garybizzo.com
appreciate a little help for a newbie
Hi Gary

I sent you an email, feel free to come over for a chat.

Cheers
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior