The Grizzly Torque - coming to the Overland Rally

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
In 1957 a couple of unknown young Canadians decided to drive around the world doing field research. They bought a 1957 Pilcher Ambulance bodied Series 1, called it the Grizzly Torque, and set out.

Now no longer young or unknown, Bristol Foster is a famous naturalist and ecologist, and Robert Bateman is arguably Canada's most famous artist.

Bateman painted murals on the side of the truck of every country they passed through.

The amazing truck eventually was discarded and forgotten, and then many years later it was accidentally found, restored, and Bateman re-did the murals. Now it may be the most valuable Land Rover in the world, since a Bateman original is worth about as much as my mortgage.

Here is a fun article that tells the whole story: https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/04/19/1957-land-rover-the-grizzly-torque

I have invited the current owner Stuart to bring the truck to the upcoming BC Overland Rally at Whistler where he will have it on display and give a talk about it. I am so stoked to have this truck at one of our events. As a rabid LR collector, this one makes me drool. If you are already coming to the rally make sure you pop in and visit with Stuart, he's a really nice guy and the truck is perfect.

:)

Ray

nickw

Adventurer
In 1957 a couple of unknown young Canadians decided to drive around the world doing field research. They bought a 1957 Pilcher Ambulance bodied Series 1, called it the Grizzly Torque, and set out.

Now no longer young or unknown, Bristol Foster is a famous naturalist and ecologist, and Robert Bateman is arguably Canada's most famous artist.

Bateman painted murals on the side of the truck of every country they passed through.

The amazing truck eventually was discarded and forgotten, and then many years later it was accidentally found, restored, and Bateman re-did the murals. Now it may be the most valuable Land Rover in the world, since a Bateman original is worth about as much as my mortgage.

Here is a fun article that tells the whole story: https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/04/19/1957-land-rover-the-grizzly-torque

I have invited the current owner Stuart to bring the truck to the upcoming BC Overland Rally at Whistler where he will have it on display and give a talk about it. I am so stoked to have this truck at one of our events. As a rabid LR collector, this one makes me drool. If you are already coming to the rally make sure you pop in and visit with Stuart, he's a really nice guy and the truck is perfect.

Ray

Thanks for sharing - that is so cool. Love the "Gin &....Tonic".

Fullkontact

Ray

View attachment 519277

View attachment 519278
Wow that’s a really neat vehicle! I’ve never seen or heard of one of these! Looks like it would make an excellent expedition vehicle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles