The Great Truck Camper Advertising Thread (Formerly Some Lame Title)

TripLeader

Explorer
It seems to me everyone loves to talk about GVWR and Baja.

Here's an article related to both. This Dodge 3500 had its payload problem on a trip to Baja.

This broken Ram 3500 with an Eagle Cap camper in the bed went viral as photos showed it snapped on the side of the road in Baja California. Its owners say "the frame just cracked in half," adding in the original Facebook post that it was "not overloaded." Mopar, the factory warranty provider, disagrees and has declined to cover the quoted $17,000 in repairs.

Broken Ram 3500 Dually Shows a Camper Can Still Overload a Big Truck
Broken Ram 3500 Dually Shows a Camper Can Still Overload a Big Truck© Mike Pavel

I spoke with owner Mike Pavel on the phone after he'd returned home from the ill-fated road trip. He explained to me that the Ram 3500 had hauled the Eagle Cap 1165 since new, carrying it 25,000 miles across the Rocky Mountains, Pacific Northwest, and then, Baja. It had always performed great up until the incident, with the diesel engine pulling strong despite carrying such a hefty slide-in.

"I did a lot of research before buying the truck and the camper, and both the Ram dealer and the camper company where we bought it said it was the perfect truck," Pavel explained. "They said it should handle the load no problem. I knew the payload capacity on the truck was about 7,800 pounds and the camper dry weight was close to 5,000 pounds, but fully loaded, probably about 6,500 pounds."

If you Google the max payload capacity for a 2020 Ram 3500, you'll see a figure close to what Pavel quoted there: 7,680 pounds. However, that's only the case for a regular-cab, long-bed model with two-wheel drive and the 6.4-liter Hemi V8. The truck in question here is a crew-cab, short-bed with four-wheel drive and the 6.7-liter Cummins diesel, meaning its payload capacity is significantly lower. It's impossible to know the exact rating of Pavel's truck without having all the details regarding the trim and options, but Ram's spec sheet shows the payload capacity for a similar dually as maxing out at 4,190 pounds.

Broken Ram 3500 Dually Shows a Camper Can Still Overload a Big Truck© Provided by The Drive

That's a problem when you're dealing with a camper that weighs 4,900 pounds empty, according to the manufacturer; however, it's far from uncommon. Pickup owners are often in the dark about their truck's true capabilities, whether it be because they read a spec sheet incorrectly or a dealer feeds them false information. In turn, improper operation is almost always the reason failures like this occur.

"Of course, Mexican roads—I don't know if you're familiar with Baja—they are very bumpy," Pavel told me. "They're definitely kind of back and forth, and there's dips and stuff. We averaged 55-60 mph on the two-lane roads, which are very narrow, and there's no shoulders at all on the Baja roads, for the most part. So we were very cautious."

At one point, Pavel says he noticed a creeking sound coming from underneath the truck. He inspected the shocks and springs but couldn't find an issue, so he and his wife continued to their designated camping spot. It was days later, on a two-and-a-half-day drive north, that the frame split. They were roughly 100 miles from the United States border.

Pavel describes the truck "surging" forward, like it had a flat tire. He stopped to check everything again but still didn't spot any issues. From there, they traveled at slow speeds of "5-10 mph max," but the problem soon revealed itself as full-on cracks on both sides.

They happened to break down next to an auto shop, so a mechanic came to inspect the damage. Using the camper's jacks, Pavel was able to level the rig, and the mechanic welded it roadside the best he could so they could at least drive it again. He even offered to store their camper until the truck was fixed in earnest, so that's where they left it, approximately 800 miles from their home near Lake Tahoe.

Broken Ram 3500 Dually Shows a Camper Can Still Overload a Big Truck© Mike Pavel

Pavel then spoke with his local Ram dealer, which has allegedly seen this happen before. He was told that if the warranty claim was accepted by Mopar that they would then place the truck atop a brand new frame. Pavel was confident that Mopar would see his conundrum and cover the fixes, but as of Dec. 29, that's not the case.

"Mopar denied the claim stating that the truck was overloaded, which is incorrect," Pavel tells me over text. "I now have a claim with my insurance company [and] they’re sending an adjuster today. Reno Dodge set an invoice for repairs over $17,000."

When I asked Pavel if Mopar cited any specific data in denying his claim, he stated, "No, they just went by the load capacity of my truck."

The next steps are currently unclear as Pavel's insurance is yet to make a decision. He told me he's debating on keeping the 3500 once it's finally fixed as a friend suggested stepping up to a Ram 5500, which would be better equipped to handle his camper. Unfortunately, that decision probably should have been made in the first place.

Edit: New thread title upon request.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Everything else aside, I don't understand this (emphasis mine):
"Mopar denied the claim stating that the truck was overloaded, which is incorrect," Pavel tells me over text.

The truck is 100% overloaded. Now, I would still argue that the trucks frame should have had no issue here. That truck is probably a good 20% over payload before the camper is loaded or anything else is added to the truck. With that truck loaded for a long trip, he's prob close to 50% over payload.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Maybe there should be a disclaimer in expo vehicle for sale section.
Don't know if there would be any liability for allowing grossly overloaded/ dangerous products to be advertised for sale.
Ultimately, the buyer is responsible for his own safety.

Overdrive

Adventurer
Another thing that added to the problem is the moto hanging way off the back. The inertia (I think it's called a "moment") of that weight over bumps is incredible.

It's a shame that camper manufacturers build monstrosities like this and then, thru dealers, say "no problem on a 3500".

RoyJ

Adventurer
While it's technically overloaded, the frame should've held up better based on section modulus and steel tensile calculations. Other forums mentioned the front camper tie-down being welded to the frame caused loss of heat treatment.

Think of tow truck duty: a wheel lift picking up the front end of say, an F150, puts 3000 lbs, plus weight of the lift, 6 - 7 feet behind the rear axle. They do it day in day out.

My guess is he hit a BIG bump bottoming out the suspension.

Reactions: mog

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Another thing i literally NEVER seen mentioned or discussed on here...

5000lb payload rating is calculated for common and ideal road conditions...

Your 5000lb payload is putting EXPONENTIALLY more stress on the vehicles frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc... When traveling offroad or on crappy roads and your huge camper is bouncing all over the places stressing out every single aspect of your chassis.

Think about it, its common sense, which seems to be in very short supply with a lot of these folks

NOTE: For the particular photo above, i think weight distribution also plays a HUGE factor that a lot of folks with these crazy campers completely ignore

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Maybe there should be a disclaimer in expo vehicle for sale section.
Don't know if there would be any liability for allowing grossly overloaded/ dangerous products to be advertised for sale.
Ultimately, the buyer is responsible for his own safety.

Then the classifieds section here would be almost empty!

I find it amusing and sad the amount of excuses sellers come up with when a potential buyer on here asks what the rig weighs, and the seller dances around why he has never weighed it

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Commonsense..
Another thing i literally NEVER seen mentioned or discussed on here...

5000lb payload rating it calculated for common and ideal road conditions...

Your 5000lb payload is putting EXPONENTIALLY more stress on the vehicles frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc... When traveling offroad or on crappy roads and your huge camper is bouncing all over the places stressing out every single aspect of your chassis.

Think about it, its common sense, which seems to be in very short supply with a lot of these folks

NOTE: For the particular photo above, i think weight distribution also plays a HUGE factor that a lot of folks with these crazy campers completely ignore
Common sense.. what's that ?

When we were getting ready to buy a Jeep Gladiator, it was only the second model year and payload info was scarce. We were given a big payload number for the Sport S with Max Tow Package, 1,700 pounds. But after some sleuthing, we found out that number is for manual transmission only. The automatic version of the Sport S with Max Tow Package was second highest, 1,565 pounds. In comparison, the Rubicon had a measly rating of 1,200 pounds.

But none of this was obvious or easy to find. As we were building the vehicle on the Jeep website, Jeep said to check with the dealership for the payload number. When we called dealerships, they said they didn't have that information and we had to check directly with Jeep.

No surprise that manufacturers want to publicize their highest ratings, and not release numbers for trims with lower ratings. It's up to the buyer to do the hard work here. It's sad that sales people may give false numbers instead of honestly saying they don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles