The Great Camp Chair Debate

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The problem with those low chairs is getting up out of them after a long day or several beers. Have tried a few like that and got tired of asking for help getting up.

2008 FJ Cruiser expedition ready and off-road trailer with RTT.

Lol guess I still got a few years to go before I can't get out of them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
We've been camping for over 20 years with these style beach chairs. They are a pain to pack which is why they usually end up on the roof rack, but at camp they are great. They lay flat for a quick afternoon nap and they also are low so the fire smoke is never a problem. I've been very tempted to add Kermit chairs to the pack since the beach chairs only last about 5-8 years.

Yea they do suck when it comes to packing them but I can't go without one.
$30 for 5-8 years. I can live with that. Which reminds me. I need to go buy a few spares.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cactusjk

Explorer
They are great chairs!
Picked up a StrongBack chair a few weeks ago and I've got too say it's really comfortable. I didn't think the lumbar thing would be that big a deal, boy was I wrong. Helps a lot and feels great. They aren't cheap, but are very well made and I only need one ��

Uncle Billy ����

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

Really really comfy ---- not sure if I want it as my only chair. Too hard to belly-up to the table to eat.
I just like the overall simplicity, strength, & comfort.

AML

Adventurer
image.jpg

Just added a few feet to the bottom of the Helinox chair. Now I won't be so worried in soft ground.

image.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
does it still fit in the stock bag with those on ?
sure ya saw the golf ball thing I did they stay on super well so never have to take on or off etc...
work well on rock or in rocky soil or soft :)

keep us posted how they hold up and work :)

saw some other things folks did but wanted something permanent :)

AML

Adventurer
image.jpg
does it still fit in the stock bag with those on ?
sure ya saw the golf ball thing I did they stay on super well so never have to take on or off etc...
work well on rock or in rocky soil or soft :)

keep us posted how they hold up and work :)
image.jpg
All zipped up in the bag with the feet still attached to the legs.

image.jpg

saw some other things folks did but wanted something permanent :)

Sorry for the jumbled up picture posting. It is a little hard to post photos for me on my phone.

I had read someone else who suggested these feet on another forum I believe but didn't see any pictures. Helinox sells some now but they are $30 for a set of 4 feet. Too steep for me. Got the ones I used on Amazon for $10 or so.

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah saw the helinox ones over priced should have been the stock ones !

well if those don't work out the golf balls are working awesome had them in a few conditions no issues at all

I am going to try to raise the chair a bit for fun with some longer bottom poles ? get the same 1/2 inch shafts online or easton versions which should be the same as DAC in strength :) love the chairs though very nice but the stock feet are not so good :)

AML

Adventurer
I would definitely like to see pictures of the raised chair. It is just a tad too short. I think this is a great chair but it isn't a long term comfort chair if you know what I mean. There are many other chairs that are more comfortable but none that pack this small or this light.

Looking forward to your increased height pictures and feedback.

Thanks

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
That simple headrest thing I did works awesome at more comfort since you can lean back
Can post up some better instructions and pics if ya need but well worth playing with the idea

Legs I am going to try 2 inches I think might be a month :)

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I bought a Strongback chair after the comments in this thread. Hate it. It folds up a lot bigger than an El cheapo. It is built the same as the El cheapo and it does not fold up very easy. Quite a few at camp sat in it and liked it but after they saw me try to wrestle it closed it was written off as another cheap crap camp chair. That's basically what it is. It will not fold without a long fight and had it not been for women and children at camp I would have put it in the fire.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Stump, while I agree the Strongback does not fold up compactly, mine at least does fold up quite easily, and fits back in the bag without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles