The Grand Terrainer: 2017+ Ford F-250 and SpaceKap Diablo 8'

erstwild

Also a plug for the folks at hiatus campers and their very clever pop-up hardtop truck campers:

I would definitely go with that design over a new retail SpaceKap for the money.

erstwild

I just upgraded the tires to handle driving in mud conditions without airing down constantly like with the mild AT stock Michelins. Cooper Discoverer STT Pros in 265/70/R17. These are about as aggressive I dared to not be too loud or otherwise irritating for a daily driver. First impressions are great. Very quiet with only lightest of hum even at highway speeds (hopefully regular rotation will keep them that way), negligible MPG hit (lol), and have WAY better off-road traction.

erstwild

Another update/upgrade now. I decided to pick up a portable induction cooktop for the rig. Unfortunately, my little Tripp Lite 1500 watt modified sine inverter is not going to cut it. Upgrading to a AIMS 3000 watt pure sine inverter. I really like my little Cobb grill, but this will be way more convenient for my regular daily use.

erstwild

A few additional upgrades. I built an 80/20 framed bunk bed in the same current footprint as the original bed. Plenty large for someone under 5’ 10” up top. I am also getting an LOD rear bumper installed since the stock plastic one has cracked from all the regular heavy usage.

erstwild

I took the rig to a weigh station for the first time to figure out what the final build weighs. Fully loaded with two passengers, it weighs 8,500 pounds. With the GVWR of 10,000 pounds, it is well under which explains why it runs and handles so well.

erstwild

Andreas at Total Composites has finally put together his DIY truck camper kits. If I was starting from scratch today, I would buy one of these kits flat packed and shipped to my door for easy assembly and even better insulation for around the same price and brand new.

erstwild

I recently decided to upgrade my mattresses to custom cut Tochta 4” thick foam mattresses with special ordered firm/high density foam. I really enjoy a mattress that fits in my double sleeping bag sleeve and have the whole assembly sit on my Froli Nemo marine innerspring.

Exped Megamats are fantastic for temporary use, but I have had a couple fail in under a year of full-timing it. They said the only warranty failures they regularly receive are from full-timers. Inflatables are really not suitable for full-timing in my book due to their obvious failure mode. My last one leaked flat on this past Christmas Eve which was entertaining to say the least, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles