The Ghost Truck

Loubaru

Adventurer
Wow. From my very amateur welding perspective it looks like there is zero penetration on the factory weld. Hopefully it was just a frame made on a Friday :).

Reactions: Kya

Kya

Adventurer
The fix: grinding, plating, welding, grinding, and gusseting the steering rack mount. Here are some pics, but keep in mind it's plastered in undercoating.....
MC-Tundra-05.jpgMC-Tundra-15.jpgMC-Tundra-06.jpg

Attachments

• MC-Tundra-15.jpg
    MC-Tundra-15.jpg
    860.6 KB · Views: 28

Kya

Adventurer
that weld looks - and I'm no where near an expert - cold...

I’m even less of an expert. What do you mean? Are you talking about the original welds or the fix? I’m always looking to learn more. Thanks!

bkg

Explorer
I’m even less of an expert. What do you mean? Are you talking about the original welds or the fix? I’m always looking to learn more. Thanks!

There's very little color change in the metal, especially frame side, on the base patch. It implies lack of penetration. And looking at the bead itself, it seems like it's, on the side of the patch plate rather filling between both metal planes. I suspect that it may just be an optical illusion from the angle of the pic, though.

Reactions: Kya

Kya

Adventurer
Just had new 4.88 gears installed along with the Harrop e-locker. Following the break in process but the front end seized after only 160 miles. My 4x4 shop is helping with the fix but here is where we are at.....

”The problem is the outer pinion bearing was not receiving oil from the ring gear. There are oil passages in the housing (3rd member) to allow oil to flow, but for some reason, it was not getting there. The passages are 100% clear (no obstructions). The E-locker is good, no damage (luckily). However, the ring & pinion, and 3rd member are damaged and need to be replaced. Along with all of the bearings/seals.”

Any ideas why there appears to be a lack of oil flow through the 3rd member?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
There's very little color change in the metal, especially frame side, on the base patch. It implies lack of penetration. And looking at the bead itself, it seems like it's, on the side of the patch plate rather filling between both metal planes. I suspect that it may just be an optical illusion from the angle of the pic, though.

I tend to agree 100%, but the gusset plate was probably ground after the welds were done. It does <appear> to have little penetration on to the frame though.

tplane2

Not sure who your 4x4 shop is, but if they don't cover the carnage, then I'd send it to Ken Francisco "ZUK" in Chandler, AZ.

Legend in the Gear/Locker install world. He just finished up my ARBs/4.88s. Crazy attention do detail.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles