The General Fishing Thread

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Looked around and noticed there aren't really any general fishing threads that are up to date, more popularity in fly fishing it seems. Well here's a place to introduce yourself, present your fishing habits (saltwater, freshwater, fly, spear, etc.), and of coarse show your catches. Just make sure to keep it updated.

I'll go first:

Well I go by "G", been fishing all my life. Although I've taken up various types of fishing from fly fishing in Yellowstone, salmon fishing off California, to hunting down rooster fish in Costa Rica, I personally believe you can't beat just some good old bass fishing. There is something about a bass busting a topwater popper that just can't be beat! I have about as much knowledge on the subject as some pros and have an absolute passion for it. I'm currently still in the process of hunting down a trophy bass (10+ lbs) but have landed numerous fish north of 5 pounds. Look forward to March when the Bass Master Classic comes to Houston and seeing the newest bass fishing tech. I'll keep the thread updated with my recent catches as they come, currently don't have any recents :D

Cheers

IMG_0077.jpg

(Only interesting photo I have on my computer currently) Rooster fish Summer 2015, Costa Rica

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Looks like some sunburned legs! I've fished offshore, fished for Striper on Beaver Lake, but usually most Saturdays I'm on Grand Lake, OK fishing for sandbass/white bass, with the occasional hybrid if we are lucky. I've got 4 or 5 normal spots I fish and its a rarity that we don't catch something. Yeah I know pics or it didn't happen, but I rarely take pictures of anything.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Looks like some sunburned legs! I've fished offshore, fished for Striper on Beaver Lake, but usually most Saturdays I'm on Grand Lake, OK fishing for sandbass/white bass, with the occasional hybrid if we are lucky. I've got 4 or 5 normal spots I fish and its a rarity that we don't catch something. Yeah I know pics or it didn't happen, but I rarely take pictures of anything.

I will confirm that my legs were indeed burnt but well worth it.

I fished Beaver Lake this spring from the bank and had pretty decent success, made my first bass from Arkansas around 4.5 lbs. I don't go to Beaver anymore do to the difficulty of navigating the my kayak with all the bass boats speeding by. I was actually at Grand Lake in early March this year and also previously in 2013 for the Bassmaster Classic. Really pretty lake, tempted to find a campsite down there for my Fall Break and kayak fish one of the forks.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
We love to fish from our kayaks more and more. My poor little bass boat has been feeling a little neglected lately. We fish mostly smaller lakes around central TX for bass and hybrid stripers We also get down to the coast a few times a year to fish in the bays and the surf, and if the waves are flat enough will try to go off shore to the oil rigs in our kayaks. My wife and I are headed down to the gulf coast this weekend with the kayaks to try to get into some red fish and flounder. Hope to have some pics to share next week.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Where do I even start, being originally from Maine I had a fishing pole in my hand as far back as I can remember, now living in Utah I had to adapt a bit. Utah actually has some of the best warm and cold water fisheries in the region, ranging from smallmouth bass to 55lb lake trout, so of course I "had to" go out and buy a boat. I will post up a few more details and pictures after work.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Any of you clearwater bass fishermen have some tips to pass down? I'm been fishing a smaller lake recently and the water is pretty darn clear, 5ft-10ft visibility. Being from outside Houston, I'm normally tossing around a 1oz football jig or using some sort of soft plastic with a 20lb braid pulling them through snags and muddy/stained water so I'm fairly unfamiliar with the aquarium look. I've downsized to 10lb mono, and usually fish with no heavier than a 3/16oz weight and a small soft plastic but have had fair success. Most of the bass I've been catching are around .5lb or less and I can't seem to get some of the lunkers to bite, and I mean some huge lunkers. Saw some females this spring that were well in the ballpark of 8lbs+ and one in particular that was no less than 10lbs. Last time out I saw numerous fish in the 3-5lb range but they always seemed spooked and took no interest in my bait. Maybe it's my approach but I'm not sure. I'm considering bumping down to 6lb mono and throwing out a small finesse worm weightless to see if I can get a more natural look and maybe with a little luck get some bigger bites. Thinking about heading out Saturday morning before Arkansas's big game

Triplesnake

Adventurer
I think you'd be on the right track trying the finesse worm. For soft plastics, you might also try Carolina rig a creature bait like a crawfish. The Zoom Speed craw in watermelon red is my go-to, usually Texas rigged. Or, try a weightless or wacky-rigged stick bait like a Senko. Also you might try top water, like a Zara puppy, and buzz baits early and late. For new water I'm unfamiliar with, I'll frequently throw an inline spinner like a Mepps #2 just to feel the place out. Those are some of the things I've had success with in the more clear water lakes around Austin. You'll have to experiment and find the right color and bait size, but that's half the fun!

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Any of you clearwater bass fishermen have some tips to pass down? I'm been fishing a smaller lake recently and the water is pretty darn clear, 5ft-10ft visibility. Being from outside Houston, I'm normally tossing around a 1oz football jig or using some sort of soft plastic with a 20lb braid pulling them through snags and muddy/stained water so I'm fairly unfamiliar with the aquarium look. I've downsized to 10lb mono, and usually fish with no heavier than a 3/16oz weight and a small soft plastic but have had fair success. Most of the bass I've been catching are around .5lb or less and I can't seem to get some of the lunkers to bite, and I mean some huge lunkers. Saw some females this spring that were well in the ballpark of 8lbs+ and one in particular that was no less than 10lbs. Last time out I saw numerous fish in the 3-5lb range but they always seemed spooked and took no interest in my bait. Maybe it's my approach but I'm not sure. I'm considering bumping down to 6lb mono and throwing out a small finesse worm weightless to see if I can get a more natural look and maybe with a little luck get some bigger bites. Thinking about heading out Saturday morning before Arkansas's big game

I fish the clear waters of SoCal. You're not even getting bites out here unless you're throwing 6lbs flouro. Downsize

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I think you'd be on the right track trying the finesse worm. For soft plastics, you might also try Carolina rig a creature bait like a crawfish. The Zoom Speed craw in watermelon red is my go-to, usually Texas rigged. Or, try a weightless or wacky-rigged stick bait like a Senko. Also you might try top water, like a Zara puppy, and buzz baits early and late. For new water I'm unfamiliar with, I'll frequently throw an inline spinner like a Mepps #2 just to feel the place out. Those are some of the things I've had success with in the more clear water lakes around Austin. You'll have to experiment and find the right color and bait size, but that's half the fun!
20161005_160741-768x891.jpg
The bottom finesse worm (Zoom Swamp Crawler texas rigged) is what I normally use with fair success. The top grub is what I plan tossing on Staurday with hopes that it'll look a little more natural. If that doesn't work, I'll try cutting some of my smaller finesse worms in half and fishing them weightless. I would try a Zara Puppy but my baitcaster is currently spooled with 20lb braid and won't cast very well with a light lure like that. Also tempted to whip out a Rapala Original or Husky Jerk. I have some smaller ones that tend to work well when downsizing is needed.

I think I have a few Senko bags laying around, remember grabbing a few limited edition colors last spring at the Classic. They are a love/hate relationship, work great but empty your wallet at $7 a bag.
I fish the clear waters of SoCal. You're not even getting bites out here unless you're throwing 6lbs flouro. Downsize

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I plan to grab some 6lb mono next time I'm in Walmart or Cabela's and respool one of my spinning reels. Regret not bringing my UL combo that's set up with 6lb line and a 7' rod

No name

Lotta fishin' over the decades, off the San Juans, halibut & salmon in AK, large-mouth down south mostly FL & OK, walleye & crappie in WI & MN, etc. Back home in CO since 09' though and all I do these days is ultra-light spin-cast for trout....enjoy it a lot. Reservoirs, rivers & streams, beaver ponds...like it all. Half the fun is stealing away from work, throwin' my ol' mountain dog in the 4Runner and heading-up high for a day.

Have a nice custom Loomis I've had for years and I picked-up a little St Croix Premier [PC56MF] that I really like this year. I run lite Penn, Shimano or Zebco spin-cast reels, 2-4 lb test, Kastmasters almost exclusively and an occasional Blue Fox and go at it. The purists game is fly out here and I enjoy that too but...at the end of the day I go cheap & easy and nail em'.

Hit some bigger fish here and there but the absolute best is a few 7"- 10" natives outta some little stream buried back in-the-hills. I almost always catch-n-release unless my older father comes along...always have to send dad home with a bag-o-fish.

Some from this year and the last pic is my old fishin' partner Zoe taking a break at a reservoir earlier this year, she's ~14 and hates to miss out on a good day of fishing.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Lotta fishin' over the decades, off the San Juans, halibut & salmon in AK, large-mouth down south mostly FL & OK, walleye & crappie in WI & MN, etc. Back home in CO since 09' though and all I do these days is ultra-light spin-cast for trout....enjoy it a lot. Reservoirs, rivers & streams, beaver ponds...like it all. Half the fun is stealing away from work, throwin' my ol' mountain dog in the 4Runner and heading-up high for a day.

Have a nice custom Loomis I've had for years and I picked-up a little St Croix Premier [PC56MF] that I really like this year. I run lite Penn, Shimano or Zebco spin-cast reels, 2-4 lb test, Kastmasters almost exclusively and an occasional Blue Fox and go at it. The purists game is fly out here and I enjoy that too but...at the end of the day I go cheap & easy and nail em'.

Hit some bigger fish here and there but the absolute best is a few 7"- 10" natives outta some little stream buried back in-the-hills. I almost always catch-n-release unless my older father comes along...always have to send dad home with a bag-o-fish.

Some from this year and the last pic is my old fishin' partner Zoe taking a break at a reservoir earlier this year, she's ~14 and hates to miss out on a good day of fishing.

Really want to trout fish, partially because trout is so darn delicious. Attempted it once with a fly in Yellowstone but had no luck, currently learning fly fishing again with a Remington rod and reel but definitely favor the typical spincast/baitcast gear.

Was planning to fish last weekend but figured studying would be a more responsible decision. Officially on my Fall Break so I plan on rolling out tomorrow hopefully for better. Luckily we've had some rain meaning the water will likely be murkier than normal, good for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles