The full sized mid-size, my 2014 F150 "Fiddy"

Grassland

If I did the math right the fuel economy is only slightly worse than my 2500 gasser does unloaded. Not bad.

What do you drive again?

That's like 11.5-12.5 Miles per US gallon roughly.
I've seen gasser 6.2 (2017+)super duties haul bigger trailers and get more or less same economy so it isn't stellar.
Keep in mind this is Southern Manitoba. There isn't any elevation change ?.
Literally if there are any hills on the trip we just took higher than 20 meters I'd be surprised.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Did I get enough product placement in one photograph to count as overland?
You forgot to work your trailer into the shot, lol

I'd certainly not want any larger of a trailer with this truck.
Yep, it sounds nuts what with the tow rating these trucks have.

But, I feel close to maxed out with our 23' - 3,900 lb trailer. We do travel heavy.... Box and cab usually full of people and cargo. Plus firewood in the box.

Loaded down the trailer is around 5,500 I'm guessing.

I'm wondering if a newer Ecoboost with the 10 speed transmission and 3:55's would make a huge difference vs my 5.0, 6 speed and 3:73's.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
What do you drive again?

That's like 11.5-12.5 Miles per US gallon roughly.
I've seen gasser 6.2 (2017+)super duties haul bigger trailers and get more or less same economy so it isn't stellar.
Keep in mind this is Southern Manitoba. There isn't any elevation change ?.
Literally if there are any hills on the trip we just took higher than 20 meters I'd be surprised.
It’s a 2011 Chevy 2500 gas engine 360hp 380tq 4.10 gears factory 32.5” tires.
Best fuel economy I’ve ever seen is in the 14’s average is more like 13.0

Thinking about getting an alumaduty next, 6.2 or 7.3.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We tend to also have stuff in and on the truck. Keep in mind the tow ratings at maximum assume your truck is empty save for the 150# driver...
True. But even loaded up I think I'm still a little ways away from my 1,800 lb payload capacity.

Just for the sake of it, say I'm maxed and loaded to 1,800 lbs. 1,800 (payload) + 5,500 lbs (towing) = 7,300 lbs.

I'm rated to tow 10,900. So still have some room. But...... I don't think I'd want to tow/ haul too much more....

Grassland

It’s a 2011 Chevy 2500 gas engine 360hp 380tq 4.10 gears factory 32.5” tires.
Best fuel economy I’ve ever seen is in the 14’s average is more like 13.0

Thinking about getting an alumaduty next, 6.2 or 7.3.

Yeah those are thirsty, but reliable. I almost bought a reg cab Long box six liter Chevy six years ago I think was a 2014 but got out bid. Even had a space cap on it already.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm wondering if a newer Ecoboost with the 10 speed transmission and 3:55's would make a huge difference vs my 5.0, 6 speed and 3:73's.

Yep... It would make a noticable difference. The 3.5 has a crap ton of low end TQ and the 10 speed can almost always keeps it in the "sweet spot." The nice thing about the 3.5 is it doesn't care about altitude changes.

Even a 5.0 with the 10 speed would do better.

You can also get a "tow tune" for your truck and that might wake it up enough to be worth the 500.00 investment.

Grassland

Just towed our Escape 19 from Loserpeg to Tulabi Falls and back.
19.8 liters per 100km.
Estimating trailer at 4600# with full fresh tank and gear.

Mini non scientific review of the Woods rotomold cooler that was half the price of a Yeti:
Brought cooler from garage into basement Tuesday night. Put three large ice packs in it Wednesday morning.
Filled with 32 canned beverages at fridge temperature and two six lb bags of ice at 3pm Wednesday and removed the ice packs. Went into the truck which was probably 40° C by 4pm.
Weather was 17-33° C and cooler was kept in the shade during the day and in the truck overnight. All ice was gone by Saturday at 10am. Drinks where no longer cold by Sunday morning. It didn't get any cooler than 23° C overnight Saturday.
24 beverages were consumed, so there was a significant number of openings.

Attachments

• 201379685_10165766861985497_2878958142970767396_n.jpg
    201379685_10165766861985497_2878958142970767396_n.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210703_104418.jpg
    IMG_20210703_104418.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30

mekcanix

Camper
this will be our third camping season with our woods 55l cooler we use it for meats and stuff so its only opened once a day or 3 and it holds ice well we have had ice last for a few days even in heat like this. we picked up a stanley cooler at cabelas for drinks and its ok beats the colemans we had

Grassland

this will be our third camping season with our woods 55l cooler we use it for meats and stuff so its only opened once a day or 3 and it holds ice well we have had ice last for a few days even in heat like this. we picked up a stanley cooler at cabelas for drinks and its ok beats the colemans we had
3-4 days of ice and cold is superior to either of my prior Coleman's.
We're happy for what it is, but unless your ice to item ratio favors the ice, you can't really get more than 4-5 days out of even the rotomolds when you need to access it frequently.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
3-4 days of ice and cold is superior to either of my prior Coleman's.
We're happy for what it is, but unless your ice to item ratio favors the ice, you can't really get more than 4-5 days out of even the rotomolds when you need to access it frequently.
Do you have a fridge in your trailer? I can't recall.

Grassland

Do you have a fridge in your trailer? I can't recall.
We do. A 5 cu ft absorption fridge. It's a game changer! That's one less 55# cooler to lift on 4-5 day trips. All of the food fits in the fridge and all the drinks go in the cooler.
We have a week long trip and my close friend and his wife and his two girls, my "nieces" are tent camping with us so we will bring the second cooler for increased capacity to help them, and probably my old Coleman just for breads if it's going to be high 30s again for a week lol.

These rotomolds are like 25# empty. Throw 24 drinks and 12# of ice and they get real heavy

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We do. A 5 cu ft absorption fridge. It's a game changer! That's one less 55# cooler to lift on 4-5 day trips. All of the food fits in the fridge and all the drinks go in the cooler.
We have a week long trip and my close friend and his wife and his two girls, my "nieces" are tent camping with us so we will bring the second cooler for increased capacity to help them, and probably my old Coleman just for breads if it's going to be high 30s again for a week lol.

These rotomolds are like 25# empty. Throw 24 drinks and 12# of ice and they get real heavy
Total game changer!

We do the same, Food in the fridge and drinks in the cooler. We keep the cooler in the box under the tonneau cover. Seems to help a bit.

I think ideally, I want a powered cooler for the drinks... And an ice maker for the drinks.... :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier