The full sized mid-size, my 2014 F150 "Fiddy"

Grassland

If I did the math right the fuel economy is only slightly worse than my 2500 gasser does unloaded. Not bad.
What do you drive again?

That's like 11.5-12.5 Miles per US gallon roughly.
I've seen gasser 6.2 (2017+)super duties haul bigger trailers and get more or less same economy so it isn't stellar.
Keep in mind this is Southern Manitoba. There isn't any elevation change 😆.
Literally if there are any hills on the trip we just took higher than 20 meters I'd be surprised.

Todd n Natalie

Observer
Did I get enough product placement in one photograph to count as overland?
You forgot to work your trailer into the shot, lol

I'd certainly not want any larger of a trailer with this truck.
Yep, it sounds nuts what with the tow rating these trucks have.

But, I feel close to maxed out with our 23' - 3,900 lb trailer. We do travel heavy.... Box and cab usually full of people and cargo. Plus firewood in the box.

Loaded down the trailer is around 5,500 I'm guessing.

I'm wondering if a newer Ecoboost with the 10 speed transmission and 3:55's would make a huge difference vs my 5.0, 6 speed and 3:73's.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Lurker
What do you drive again?

That's like 11.5-12.5 Miles per US gallon roughly.
I've seen gasser 6.2 (2017+)super duties haul bigger trailers and get more or less same economy so it isn't stellar.
Keep in mind this is Southern Manitoba. There isn't any elevation change 😆.
Literally if there are any hills on the trip we just took higher than 20 meters I'd be surprised.
It’s a 2011 Chevy 2500 gas engine 360hp 380tq 4.10 gears factory 32.5” tires.
Best fuel economy I’ve ever seen is in the 14’s average is more like 13.0

Thinking about getting an alumaduty next, 6.2 or 7.3.

Todd n Natalie

Observer
We tend to also have stuff in and on the truck. Keep in mind the tow ratings at maximum assume your truck is empty save for the 150# driver...
True. But even loaded up I think I'm still a little ways away from my 1,800 lb payload capacity.

Just for the sake of it, say I'm maxed and loaded to 1,800 lbs. 1,800 (payload) + 5,500 lbs (towing) = 7,300 lbs.

I'm rated to tow 10,900. So still have some room. But...... I don't think I'd want to tow/ haul too much more....

Grassland

It’s a 2011 Chevy 2500 gas engine 360hp 380tq 4.10 gears factory 32.5” tires.
Best fuel economy I’ve ever seen is in the 14’s average is more like 13.0

Thinking about getting an alumaduty next, 6.2 or 7.3.
Yeah those are thirsty, but reliable. I almost bought a reg cab Long box six liter Chevy six years ago I think was a 2014 but got out bid. Even had a space cap on it already.

Jnich77

Director of Adventure Management Operations
I'm wondering if a newer Ecoboost with the 10 speed transmission and 3:55's would make a huge difference vs my 5.0, 6 speed and 3:73's.

Yep... It would make a noticable difference. The 3.5 has a crap ton of low end TQ and the 10 speed can almost always keeps it in the "sweet spot." The nice thing about the 3.5 is it doesn't care about altitude changes.

Even a 5.0 with the 10 speed would do better.

You can also get a "tow tune" for your truck and that might wake it up enough to be worth the 500.00 investment.