The Frankenstein Build: 1996 Tacoma Long Travel/Expo/Trail Rig

ITTOG

Wow, thread resurrection. I still miss my '95 Tacoma; needing some of the stupid $180/each plastic Toyota headlights right now really makes me miss it more.

Incidentally, you'd be Dr. Frankenstein and the truck would simply be the monster (he had no name in the book). ;)
A very common oversight due to pop culture.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ITTOG

And with that. Im up to The Epic trip. My first two week trip and first trip i organized, though not extremely isolated. Was killer fun though.

I literally have 1200 photos of this and with my buddies on it there is upwards of 3k photos.

Thought about doing a trip report on it...I wrote one a while ago for TCT magazine but didn't like the constraints. They wanted me to do it in under 1500 words. Well, wasn't even 3 days in and had 3000 words down. haha

Thoughts? Would you all want a full report? Or just photos? For now, here are some teasers. This is also the monumental point where i got my DSLR :) a Canon 60D. so photo quality from this point on only gets better and better. I didn't totally know ****** i was doing with it and editing so the first go around was interesting haha

Epic Day One-17.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day One-30.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_0661.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day One-114.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day Two-46.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day Two-54.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day Two-80.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day Three-23.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day Three-25.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day 4-34.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day 4-56.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day 5-34.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day 5.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
Epic Day 5-23.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_1197.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_2699.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_2163.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Basically it was a trip that started in Northern Wy, went to central Wy, then to the San Juan Mountains in CO. I blew a tire and my LBJ bolts fell out and i had a leaking front diff seal i repaired mid trip too. Was an interesting trip for sure as i ran it a bit different then most meets. We had people join us and leave us half way through. So the people where in constant flux. Was a fun trip!

Wow, those views are amazing. I would love to know more about the route of this trip if you don't mind sharing them.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
This thread is partly to blame for me buying a 4Runner.

I am only partly sorry then :D haha

Wow, those views are amazing. I would love to know more about the route of this trip if you don't mind sharing them.

Its a great place.

Most of the areas are well documented in my reports. That report wasn't posted on here directly though. But most of that trip other than the Alpine loop section is in this report: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/the-sos-report-the-full-story.133063/

Most is in Wyoming though there.

I have links in that thread to all my other reports as well so if you have time..check them all out! Be a fun day or two or reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke