The Frankenstein Build: 1996 Tacoma Long Travel/Expo/Trail Rig

Cletus26

Adventurer
For your sliding tubes on your tent rack what have you used for corrosion protection/ lubricant. I will soon be building something similar for my 02 tundra. I'm thinking dry graphite but open to ideas. Love your build

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
For your sliding tubes on your tent rack what have you used for corrosion protection/ lubricant. I will soon be building something similar for my 02 tundra. I'm thinking dry graphite but open to ideas. Love your build

Thanks man.

I didn't do anything. I live in a dry enough climate i don't have to worry about it.

I'd like to redo it with round tubing. I think you could make a gasket for them and id do a big tube on top over a smaller tube at the base so water won't pool.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
So I finally got all the way through this thread. Hot damn Monte, now I'm all jacked for wheeling this summer! I've got a trip planned to take on Morrison and Goose with a bunch of Nissan guys and a couple local buddies. Also doing Independence again, and hopefully I can make a couple runs down into the Bighorns. I saw some stuff in here that I'd love to check out. Hopefully we can hook up again for another run somewhere. Can't wait to take a spin in Frank and see what I'm missing. And I'm interested to see how you feel about Lola. Should be an interesting comparison. :D

Sucks to hear you're still having trouble with the blower. Hopefully you can suss out what's malfunctioning, though it would be pretty cool on Igor. I can see you having way too much fun with a boosted LT truck over the smooth stuff. Baja status ******!

I read the part about our Goose trip tonight. Blast from the past! Haha Lola looks so freakin' low on the 32s and 2" lift. I'm up to 33s and 3.25"!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
So I finally got all the way through this thread. Hot damn Monte, now I'm all jacked for wheeling this summer! I've got a trip planned to take on Morrison and Goose with a bunch of Nissan guys and a couple local buddies. Also doing Independence again, and hopefully I can make a couple runs down into the Bighorns. I saw some stuff in here that I'd love to check out. Hopefully we can hook up again for another run somewhere. Can't wait to take a spin in Frank and see what I'm missing. And I'm interested to see how you feel about Lola. Should be an interesting comparison. :D

Sucks to hear you're still having trouble with the blower. Hopefully you can suss out what's malfunctioning, though it would be pretty cool on Igor. I can see you having way too much fun with a boosted LT truck over the smooth stuff. Baja status ******!

I read the part about our Goose trip tonight. Blast from the past! Haha Lola looks so freakin' low on the 32s and 2" lift. I'm up to 33s and 3.25"!

Well first of all..congrats on making it through it all! There is a ton. haha

Sounds like a great summer of wheeling! Im trying to figure out a way i can stay here this summer. Seem probable..see how my girlfriend feels about it.

There should be the 4th of july trip report in here....i think...of the big horns. I hope its in here. If its not i'll post it. Also a nice one in Igor's thread that is similar. I have a route planned that is 130 miles or so through the big horns on 95% dirt. Hoping to do that soon.

They don't call it the $10,000 ride for nothing :p haha You'll get to drive Frank...but then you have to ride shotgun with me driving to really understand it :D Then you may seriously consider some different suspension...

Id be down to drive a frontier...never driven a nissan. Doubt it'll change my mind on the toyotas :p It'll be fun. Hopefully make it happen!

Goose was fun. I really need to run that trail again before leave the area for a while. One of my all time favorites. This time you'll make it to the end at least :cool: I still laugh about that. The next week you had bigger tires haha good times.

Dmski

Adventurer
Just found your rig and have to say this is one of the coolest Yota's I've seen in a while! Good on you for keeping it going! Can hardly believe you rolled it and its still trucking along!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Just found your rig and have to say this is one of the coolest Yota's I've seen in a while! Good on you for keeping it going! Can hardly believe you rolled it and its still trucking along!

I'll never let him die!! :D

Always find a way to piece him back together haha Have had plenty of major explosions. A true Frankenstein. :)

Thanks for the compliments!

Welderdude74

Boulder Basin ,Adelaide Lake and Shell reservoir are supper cool spots to visit. I grew up in Shell and spent many summers up there

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Boulder Basin ,Adelaide Lake and Shell reservoir are supper cool spots to visit. I grew up in Shell and spent many summers up there

Ah awesome!

I grew up hunting that area. Love it back there. The Big Horns are great. Very different mountains..in a good way.

Dmski

Adventurer
Haha glad to hear it! Also, when you blew your front diff, was that due to a wheelspin issue or could it have been the DIY gear swap? I'm just wondering because I'd potentially like to move up to 4.10's myself, but am hesitant on doing them myself. I'm not one to be affraid of trying and failing, but obviously I'd like to get it the first time around. Many have said don't even bother if you haven't done it yourself, but then how do we learn?

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Haha glad to hear it! Also, when you blew your front diff, was that due to a wheelspin issue or could it have been the DIY gear swap? I'm just wondering because I'd potentially like to move up to 4.10's myself, but am hesitant on doing them myself. I'm not one to be affraid of trying and failing, but obviously I'd like to get it the first time around. Many have said don't even bother if you haven't done it yourself, but then how do we learn?

I think it was the gear install honestly.

And truthfully. I NEVER EVER recommend people try doing their own gears. It is a MAJOR install and a super PITA. I hated it. And it requires lots of space and specialty tools.

The warranty from ECGS is worth it man haha It's an expensive fix when you fail :p haha And you won't wanna pull the diffs all the time. Once is plenty!

Also, why only go to 4.10s? That ratio sucks with anything taller then a 32'' tire.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I think it was the gear install honestly.

And truthfully. I NEVER EVER recommend people try doing their own gears. It is a MAJOR install and a super PITA. I hated it. And it requires lots of space and specialty tools.

The warranty from ECGS is worth it man haha It's an expensive fix when you fail :p haha And you won't wanna pull the diffs all the time. Once is plenty!

Also, why only go to 4.10s? That ratio sucks with anything taller then a 32'' tire.

He's got an Xterra Monte. Silly Nissan gear ratios haha.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I haven't seen your thread in a while... Man, you guys get to some amazing places! I just picked up a cheap but super tight 96 4Runner on monday. Doing suspension and tires tomorrow. I must say pages 24 and 25 of your thread have me a bit paranoid of the LBJs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier