The First Gen Pickup/Hilux (79-83) Thread

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
this is my 81 Trekker,
56dba831023039d9797a270173a026a7.jpg

4c75d9e626f9314c20c3b92aa3771ac8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

I've wanted to be able to participate in this thread for a long time. Finally picked up a 1980 a couple months ago for my son. It needs some work but overall isn't bad.
Here it is when we brought it home.

Pretty sure it has an old 4" Skyjacker lift on it. It rides like a shopping cart on a cobblestone road. We're collecting parts for make things better. We've got some 63" chevies for the rear, and I'm debating what springs to use in the front. I might try to keep the Skyjacker leafs but remove one of the leafs and see how it does. We want to get the ride height a couple inches shorter for sure.
We're working on gathering parts for hysteer power steering so that should help a bunch.
Watching the classifieds for a FJ80 high pinion front diff. We will be rebuilding the front axle since it's having some issues. Probably just rebuild the rear axle for now but also watching for a V6 or Tacoma rear axle, an elocked one would be awesome.
We've been working on prepping the body for paint (I'll spray in myself). Overall the body isn't aweful but I think the truck was either leaned against a rock or tipped on it's side at some point. the cab behind the passenger door has a mediocre bondo repair. We've cleaned it up as best we can and straightened it a little but it still took some bondo. It's never intended to be a full resto, or show truck so a little bondo isn't the end of the world for this thing. We'll be building sliders and bumpers along with a bedrack for a RTT this spring too. Should be a fun little daily driver/wheeler for my son.
Here's the latest photo.

new windshield!

I just got new tires for my FZJ80 so the 35" MTR's from the cruiser will be going onto this with the factory 80 wheels.
We modded the stock grill to work with the later '83 style grill. Turned out pretty good.

toy_tek

Adventurer
Resurrecting this thread. Anyone know of a 79-83 hilux meet & greet ever happening? Would there be any interest?

Box Rocket

Congrats Carl Montoya on the sweet new acquisition! I really dig the blue color.

This post brings this thread back up in my notifications and I realize I haven't shared any update of the 1980 pickup I shared a couple posts ago (even though that was 3 years ago). Here's a more recent pic of the truck after quite a bit more work and a rattlecan respray. We have a '96 Tacoma donor that we'll be swapping the 3RZ and 5-speed from soon.
IMG_1874 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Rear bumper by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

KSWU5176 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Bhill_teq

Saved an 83' a few weeks ago from the Idaho weather! Going to go tinker on it some more this weekend, before I haul it down to Utah where she'll get used well. Love these little trucks.IMG-0018.JPGIMG-0019.JPG

Smileyshaun

Observer
Man so much fist gen love , I keep telling myself I’m going to get another one some day I traveled all over the pnw in mine when I was younger . Still by far my favorite vehicle I ever owned even with its horrible rattle can yellow paint job ... should have never sold it . DFE73E67-C3D7-4C97-9FC6-464D609ECBD0.jpeg

Trod0

I picked up this little thing up about a year ago on a killer deal I couldn’t pass ($600). It’s had been sitting at this same spot at my work for over 5 years without moving. I remember drooling over it everyday at work when I would see it. A little elbow grease and love goes a long way. It’s a 79 SB with a Buick 3.8L with a TH350 trans. The first picture is where it was when I picked it up, the second picture is it’s current state.
31A86005-B22C-4B21-8AFE-61E4CA130387.jpeg
458544A4-0DDF-4EA9-BF6D-95EC779735E1.jpeg

borison

Adventurer
I picked up this little thing up about a year ago on a killer deal I couldn’t pass ($600). It’s had been sitting at this same spot at my work for over 5 years without moving. I remember drooling over it everyday at work when I would see it. A little elbow grease and love goes a long way. It’s a 79 SB with a Buick 3.8L with a TH350 trans. The first picture is where it was when I picked it up, the second picture is it’s current state.
View attachment 562827
View attachment 562826
Like where this headed, good looking truck. Keep us posted.

Bhill_teq

View attachment 562827
View attachment 562826
That thing is rad! We took our 83 out for a rip last weekend. I love these little trucks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online