The far too easy 'Hi-Lift Jack' stowage solution

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Looking at my Tacoma with topper and the uber roof rack and being completely flummoxed by 'where to put the 60" hi-lift' had me feeling a bit foolish today. I did not want to mount it to the front bumper. Typically, when I get stuck, the front goes first. Having the jack out there means wading through whatever stuck me. Having it high on the rack means man handling a heavy lump in who-knows-what conditions. Either place exposes it to muck, dirt and potential problems. Leaving it in the bed is no good as that is where Max, the mighty German shepherd, hangs out - sometimes entertaining guests. Nothing goes in with the pups for safety sake!

IMG_0479.jpg

So, I took it apart. It took less than a minute, and goes back together as quickly. I put the foot and top clamp in my Hi-Lift accessory bag, the I beam is under the RTT, and the mechanism and handle are behind my seat, with the bag on top. Alway clean, always accessible, and easy to assemble.

IMG_0480.jpg

If I ever get a tire rack / rear bumper, then it will live there. But for now, this solution is going to work swimmingly.

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

:elkgrin:

Nadir_E

Adventurer
Makes a lot of sense (one rarely needs a high lift in a -hurry-, so you'll have time to assemble). It will indeed stay cleaner/more-rust-free that way, too. Only comment I'd make is that whatever is in the cab with you (the stuff behind the seat) should be strapped down just in case of a roll-over...

angusdevil

Adventurer
Tis clean but to each their own. Ya can never be too safe.

Location seems questionable as its not stowed down. May not be an issue on the trail but getting there, that's a lot of weight "floating" around in the cab.

Here is how I mounted mine, works for me but not necessarily everyone else. It's quick and easy to get to.

DSCN0277.JPG

ExpoMike

Since it looks like the lift/handle are just laying behind the seat, don't ever roll your rig. You'll most likely not be around to tell us about it.

My feeling is ANYTHING in the cab needs to be secured for an acident/roll over.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
There is gear that will be stowed on top of the jack mechanism, securing it in the event of a rollover. I am no less safety conscience regarding myself than I am my pup. I am going to call Hi-Lift to see if there is an issue with taking out the pin that holds the handle in place and drilling a hold through both sides and using a retention pin ala the foot of the jack. IF there is no problem, then the jack will go in the large pelican case.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Anchoring it is a simple matter of adding some footman loops and buying some straps with Fastex buckles on them. I'm fond of those sold for securing lowered main sails to the boom of sailboats.

t0mills

Adventurer
Back when I had my S10 (similar in size to your truck), I had the Hi-Lift 60" mounted here:

Keep012.jpg

Was safe and secure, but I would recommend a cover for it, because it got pretty dirty right there. But still works great to this day!

Incusus

Adventurer
Back when I had my S10 (similar in size to your truck), I had the Hi-Lift 60" mounted here:

Keep012.jpg

Was safe and secure, but I would recommend a cover for it, because it got pretty dirty right there. But still works great to this day!

The Ohio cops would have a field day with that. They have a thing for visible license plates, front and rear. I found out the hard way :p

Good lookin' install though!

toy_tek

Adventurer
I'm surprised more people don't store their hi-lift inside. I've got a nifty jack mount on my spare tire carrier and it looks really cool there - but it just gets nasty dirty to the point that it is operationally compromised without first cleaning it up. I found it is actually quicker to keep it inside even though I might have to dig a few items out first. Mine fits perfectly on the floor behind the driver seat.

I think anyone who has used their hi-lift would agree having the mechanism absolutely clean and the ability to operate as intended is of utmost importance.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
WOW !!! New member!!! Welcome to ExPo Engel!!!
:wings:

Called Hi-Lift - no problem drilling the handle to accommodate a retention pin. So now the handle and the jack will fit in my Pelican 1620.

I will post some pics when I finish the project - showing how I am storing the I beam etc. I am putting together a cleaning kit so if I use it in the field, I can spiff it up before putting it away.

Michael Slade

Untitled
I store my hi-lift jacks in other people's trucks. Usually they are hundreds of miles away, which cuts down on the time it takes to unpack it.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:I've always stored it inside, never failed, or let me down

Stays clean and dry, got the Hi-Lift boot to hold in/out the dirt/mud

:victory::smiley_drive::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior