The Fake Jeep Not a Real Cruiser Thread

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Man, in recent years has any vehicle stirred such extreme reactions?? Some people LOVE them, some people loathe them..... so whats the deal? Being a Land Cruiser purist (with a brief, yet happy experience with Rovers), I admit, I made snide comments about the FJ Cruiser for its styling, its ergonomics, its lack of reaching what it could have been, that it is NOT a real Land Cruiser. I mean, look at the model codes, the engine codes.. blah blah blah... Ok, point taken. Funny though, as the things do have Land Cruiser DNA, sharing the platform with the Prado, and the domestic 4Runner (though shortened). I am coming from my 80 series, and my more recent 60 series, f engines, cavernous space, legendary reputation.... Can an FJ Cruiser meet my needs for my overland type travels along with a daily driver? Will it hold up? Can you actually see anything out of one??

Oh man, so my intent with this thread is to document a bit, my experiences with one of these vehicles, coming from the background of a Land Cruiser guy, a person who travels a bunch and tends to beat the hell out of vehicles. So, here is a bit of backstory to set the stage.....

My fiance and I were expecting our first born shortly. We got a great deal on an FJ60 from my good bud KC in Lander for $2,500. We were looking for something inexpensive to use while we were living in Wyoming. I have an FJ80 thats been my adventure mobile since 2001 that is at our place in Michigan's UP. The 60 was going to be our back country rig, the vehicle to help us move to Colorado, and family mobile, but not daily driver. The 60 did alot of stuff great, and for $2,500 I couldn't complain. Travelled the Red Desert, Colorado, the Oregon Coast, Idaho, and a bunch of other Wyoming stuff with it. But with a kiddo coming and some big repairs in the 60's future, we decided we wanted a vehicle that was the following.... safe, reliable, durable, comfortable, capable, versatile, and more fuel efficient than a Land Cruiser. The 60 was getting me 18-21mpg pretty reliably but my FJ80 struggles to get 12. I have been considering 100 series for awhile, but for the price and age, I felt that an FJC was a better value.

The 4 liter is brauny and has a good reputation, no timing belt service, and with the automatic, is rated for 21. My first tank with our FJC, fully loaded from Jackson driving to CO returned 23mpg! The FJC is much smaller. My concern is packing, and making stuff fit. I tend to base camp and use my rigs to get to remote places for other activities so having a big Land Cruiser offers alot of versatility for hauling stuff, sleeping inside, etc.... Yes, it is a compromise...

The fact is, the FJC stock for stock is more capable than an 80 series, a 60 series, or a 100 series. Seemingly, outside of a Wrangler Rubicon, there isn't much out there that can keep up or surpass one offroad. Now, I am not a rock crawler, it holds no interest to me. Nor really the idea of running trails for the sake of running trails. That said I like having the capability to get into tougher places or get to awesome views so I do need something with more capability than a Subaru. I have done a lot of "overlanding" with Subaru's and found them to do alot of things well, don't get me wrong. We were loooking for something to handle most anything. With an OME 3" lift and 33's, an FJC can handle 98% of the stuff out there. The drivetrains seemed robust, think Tacoma, 4Runner, and Prado running gear and with a 105" wheelbase (versus 111" for an 80 series) the thing turns well, and is nimble. I like this recipe.

Now if I can get around the ergonomics..... More on that later but for now let me just say, after the test drive, I didn't find them bad at all. And the C pillar blind spot?? Come on, how terrible of a driver do you have to be to use that as an excuse? The mirrors work great, and if you are incompetent enough to have to look over your shoulder... you can see anyway. Yes the C pillar is big but not nearly big enough to hide a car. My biggest gripes really are the distance of the windshield from the driver and the visibility up. Visibility out and down is good.

After many vehicle considerations like 4Runners, Tacomas, Land Cruisers, Wrangler JKUR's, Xterras and a few other randoms, the FJC was my pick for the best all arounder. Not the prettiest, not the most capable, not the most comfortable, not the roomiest, probably not best at anything... but what it was is pretty good at everything. Justification set.....

Our 80

So we went from this...

To this.....

It is a 2007 with front and rear Warn bumpers and a Warn Powerplant HP setup. The FJC has A Track and the rear locker. Other than that it was stock. We picked it up at a local dealership in Jackson, and since have moved to Colorado with it. My fiance actually went into labor while we were test driving it, and on the way back from the hospital with our little one, picked it up and brought it home too.

One of my hallmarks for a rig being good is how FEW things you need to do to it to make it durable and capable. My past rigs all were fairly minimalist in my approach. Especially with Toyotas, keep them as stock as you can, use OEM parts is the Mantra. So for this, my approach remains the same.

Long term plans include an OME 3" heavy lift, a Baja Rack utility rack, mount my roof top tent on it (since sleeping inside is not an option, and we have a 2 week old baby now with us), 33's, and finally a storage solution that will work for our needs. Since the thing has $3,600 in bumpers and winch, and already has the Toyota sliders which will be good enough for my means, the only other thing I can think of doing might be some additional armor underneath.

I am going to use this thing for a daily driver, for exploring Colorado and Utah backcountry as well as for some upcoming trips we have planned including Alaska and Mexico. So there you go, thats my plan. We have had the FJC for two weeks now and have taken it out a bit in CO. First upgrade was tires. It had stock size 265/70/17 studded snow tires that were about as fun as they sound to drive on in the summer.

Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17 which works out to basically being a 33x11. I won't go into the well discussed merits of these tires but will just say, I think they might be the best all around tire for an overland rig, especially one that will see snow.

I will keep this thread updated with my trials and tribulations and my honest feedback regarding this platform. In the meantime, here are some pics of our outings thus far with it....

The night before the big move to Colorado, the Tetons gave us one last great sunset. Packing a 60 series worth of stuff into the FJC was not going to happen.

Evening on Shrine Pass

Descending from Leadking Basin to Crystal

Schofield Pass Rd

The old Mill in Crystal

Last edited:

Sempertoy

Explorer
Nice new rig man. A lot of people dislike the FJC, but they sure can take a beating! When I lived in Cali my wheeling buddy was in an '11 FJC and he beat the snot out of that thing. Very capable right out of the box.

skrillah

Adventurer
Very interested in following your thoughts on the FJC. I recently just picked one up as well, and pretty much stole it from the dealer with only 70k miles on the clock. With a boy coming any day now, the FJ fit the bill and the wallet. Though, I will admit its a bit tight for a family vehicle, especially with 2 dogs. A Baja rack will be a must as the stock rack isnt going to cut it. The biggest pro with these newer rigs is the engine. Great power and MPGs out of them, and it really makes these capable rigs with the locker and atrac.

Having debated between the FJ and a 80/100 series, I'm especially curious on your thoughts comparing the platforms. Had I not stumbled across the FJ deal, no doubt the 80/100 would have been the purchase. I'm rambling a bit here, so in a nutshell, congrats on the new rig and keep the updates coming!

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
How well does the baby car seat fit in the rear? I think wee ones have to ride facing backwards in the car seat, which often means the front seat has to be pushed far forward to make room.

mph

Expedition Leader
Nothing like the Crystal Mill! Or, the Marble area for that matter...Congrats on your purchase. Congrats on your newborn! Enjoy the ride...both as a parent and motorist!

skrillah

Adventurer
Ours fits fine, actually the high ceilings are great for getting it in and out. The access doors will take some getting use to, and I wish the front seat had quick release so it would slide/fold forward at the same time. Otherwise, definitely doable.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice new rig man. A lot of people dislike the FJC, but they sure can take a beating! When I lived in Cali my wheeling buddy was in an '11 FJC and he beat the snot out of that thing. Very capable right out of the box.

Thats what I am hoping. It seems from what I have gathered that they tend to hold up pretty well. Time will tell!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Congrats man, nice rig!

So, are you justifying your purchase to the world or yourself? ;)

Ha ha, a bit of both yah know. :p I did a ton of reading online about FJC's and on the dedicated forums it seemed there were a ton of guys who either were more of the "wheeler" types or those that were totally newbs to offroading in any capacity. Here on Expo I couldn't really find much discussion on the merits of them on Expo. I figured as the prices are coming down on them used more people like myself might be considering them and if my longwinded thoughts are of any value maybe, someone else could find some use for them. On top of that, coming from the background of a skeptic and just the general negativity I see posted on the internets, my perspective as someone going in eyes open might have some value. Otherwise, I am just going to post pretty pictures of my travels. haha

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Very interested in following your thoughts on the FJC. I recently just picked one up as well, and pretty much stole it from the dealer with only 70k miles on the clock. With a boy coming any day now, the FJ fit the bill and the wallet. Though, I will admit its a bit tight for a family vehicle, especially with 2 dogs. A Baja rack will be a must as the stock rack isnt going to cut it. The biggest pro with these newer rigs is the engine. Great power and MPGs out of them, and it really makes these capable rigs with the locker and atrac.

Having debated between the FJ and a 80/100 series, I'm especially curious on your thoughts comparing the platforms. Had I not stumbled across the FJ deal, no doubt the 80/100 would have been the purchase. I'm rambling a bit here, so in a nutshell, congrats on the new rig and keep the updates coming!

So, we have a newborn 2 week old, and a small dog. For the three of us and the dog, I can make this work, if it was any more, well, I think the 100 series would have been the go to. I really wanted a 100 series, and looked at some pre 2004 models but I really wanted the 5 speed and wanted something newer. Yes, a 100 series is one of the most reliable vehicles built but any truck as it gets on in years will sooner or later need upkeep. Belts, hoses, all the little things vehicles need. Also side curtain airbags and good crash testing were part of my consideration. It will be interesting once we start doing multiple day trips again and I need to fine tune our kit and packing. With a Land Cruiser space is seldom a concern.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
How well does the baby car seat fit in the rear? I think wee ones have to ride facing backwards in the car seat, which often means the front seat has to be pushed far forward to make room.

This is an interesting question. From what I read on the internet, this was supposedly a deal breaker for people. From what I have found with our car seat, it actually is pretty easy. Yes, newborn car seats face backwards. I simply lean the front seat forward (not moving it on the track) and the seat goes in easily with the handle in the up position even. Chalk it up to a high roof. When parked next to another car I thought it would be harder but I can shut the back door and the front door easily and don't feel stranded like I did in my old access cab Tundra. My fiance drives a Subaru Outback and I find it easier to put the kiddo and car seat into the FJ than I do her car. I am 6' with long legs. I don't have to move my seat forward at all from my normal driving position to make room for the car seat.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nothing like the Crystal Mill! Or, the Marble area for that matter...Congrats on your purchase. Congrats on your newborn! Enjoy the ride...both as a parent and motorist!

Thanks! Its been a great adventure. ha ha. Now that we are a bit more settled we are hoping to get down to do some canyoneering starting this fall. Our new location is going to be sweet for sneaking over to southern Utah. Hopefully we can connect still.

Clutch

<---Pass
Ha ha, a bit of both yah know. :p I did a ton of reading online about FJC's and on the dedicated forums it seemed there were a ton of guys who either were more of the "wheeler" types or those that were totally newbs to offroading in any capacity. Here on Expo I couldn't really find much discussion on the merits of them on Expo. I figured as the prices are coming down on them used more people like myself might be considering them and if my longwinded thoughts are of any value maybe, someone else could find some use for them. On top of that, coming from the background of a skeptic and just the general negativity I see posted on the internets, my perspective as someone going in eyes open might have some value. Otherwise, I am just going to post pretty pictures of my travels. haha

We can drive ourselves nuts reading the pros and cons of platform, plus some of us get hung-up on how things look (myself included!). Which if you think
about it, the way a vehicle looks doesn't really matter, they have almost become costumes to the way we want to see ourselves or how others see us.

In the end the only true way to find out if a piece of equipment will work for your needs and desires is to use it.

I consider the FJC a real Land Cruiser, and a great platform. Might have a face only a mother can love....the homely anvil is no Ming vase...but a hell of
a lot more useful than a fragile piece of pedestal adornment . ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz