The ExPo Mountain Bike Photo Thread

jayspies

Adventurer
I like your style. It's rare on an internet forum these days to find people who don't automatically dismiss things they might not be comfortable or familiar with. MTBR has a lot of good posters (Mikesee and MendonCycleSmith come to mind), but also a lot of bro-centric frat-boy knee-jerk trash-talkers that lend nothing helpful or valuable to the conversation. Takes quite a bit to weed through the morass of crap. This is why I like Expo. On topic, though, I'd also be interested to hear what you think of the Lauf. I ride a Lefty-equipped Mukluk, so I'm not switching forks anytime soon, but this product looks very interesting for what it does, and for adventure riders for whom reliability and simplicity is paramount, looks fabulous. Like fatbikes in general, I'll bet that most people who disdain or poo-poo the Lauf have not and will not ever ride one. Looking forward to the writeup. BTW, here's the Honey Badger on a recent ride through Lake Redman park in PA.

IMG_0293.jpg

Jason911

Adventurer
I concur on hearing Christophe's take on the Lauf, and I echo jayspies sentiment about MTBR. I have had a opportunity to ride-test the Lauf, albeit briefly, over some varying terrain here in Wisconsin - and my feelings were mixed. The tester I rode was a skinny 29er, so it will be great to hear some input on a fat bike. The theory behind it is sound, and I would like to think that it would be a better performer on a Fatbike as opposed to a MTB(to say nothing of the fact that it is extremely light-weight AND works in all temperatures).

jayspies

Adventurer
I have had a opportunity to ride-test the Lauf, albeit briefly, over some varying terrain here in Wisconsin - and my feelings were mixed. The tester I rode was a skinny 29er, so it will be great to hear some input on a fat bike. The theory behind it is sound, and I would like to think that it would be a better performer on a Fatbike as opposed to a MTB(to say nothing of the fact that it is extremely light-weight AND works in all temperatures).

I'd love to see how the skinnier Lauf version (I think it's called the Trail Racer) performs on a gravel bike like the Cutthroat. I think that fork would be bomber with the sort of high-frequency, low-amplitude chatter that gravel riding transmits. Pair that with the flexy seat stays of the Cutthroat and you have a mile-eating machine.

Butch, awesome photos. Great to see another Muk out in its native habitat. Are you running Marge Lites under those Nates?

Jason911

Adventurer
I'd love to see how the skinnier Lauf version (I think it's called the Trail Racer) performs on a gravel bike like the Cutthroat. I think that fork would be bomber with the sort of high-frequency, low-amplitude chatter that gravel riding transmits. Pair that with the flexy seat stays of the Cutthroat and you have a mile-eating machine.

I am really curious to see what Christophe Noel has to say about the Lauf. His input seems to be decidedly less biased and offers some real world input, much more so than some of the other bike magazines/forums out there on the inter-webs(that ride on something for 15mins and then rant or rave about it).

Ideally, I think we all would like to see a real-world comparison of a Lauf v/s a Bluto, on two identical bikes, on the same terrain. And with input from 3 types of riders based on respective skill level. Sounds like a great Overland Journal magazine article right there. As a IMBA-National Mountain Bike Patrol Instructor I'd even volunteer my time if needed.

Last edited:

jayspies

Adventurer
Agree. If I was out there I'd volunteer the Lefty Muk for the comparo, but alas, I'm an east-coaster. Comparing the Bluto to the Lefty in terms of stiffness, plushness, stiction and chatter absorption is laughable, IMO. I have ridden both pretty extensively and it's night and day (which is why I went Lefty). Never ridden a Lauf so I don't have any input there.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Turnsies. :) Testing out the new Rocky Mountain Instinct BC Edition. She...rips. I think I had a meaner lean on this section yesterday, but this was pretty tight.

shred2_zps0nqwf5my.jpg

Last edited:

jayspies

Adventurer
Sedona/Prescott has to be one of my favorite places on the planet. So much good riding there. Not too hot like Phoenix, not too cold like Flag. Just right.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Prescott's trail network has become so vast, and grows so rapidly, I have not ridden all of it. Which is insane considering I have logged more than 80,000 miles here.

Bedrock

Here is a shot from a recent ride out in Utah. We were using the fat bikes to access tributaries that had no road/trail access. Basically ride up the canyon until a side canyon intersects the drainage then ditch the bikes and explore by foot. We found interesting slot canyons, ruins, rock art and plenty of cat tracks (Bobcat and Mountain Lion). It was a great day of cruising.
25831394313_748d9e061a_c.jpg

fortel

Adventurer
Here is a shot from a recent ride out in Utah. We were using the fat bikes to access tributaries that had no road/trail access. Basically ride up the canyon until a side canyon intersects the drainage then ditch the bikes and explore by foot. We found interesting slot canyons, ruins, rock art and plenty of cat tracks (Bobcat and Mountain Lion). It was a great day of cruising.
25831394313_748d9e061a_c.jpg

That looks like a blast. Nice photo.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I have been out of riding for better than 15 years now and my waistline shows. With a mind to correct that, last month I bought a Vaya. It's the perfect fat guy road bike and a light duty bikepacker. What an awesome bike. It loves to eat up miles. Now I have to start saving up for some Porcelain Rocket goodies.

DSC_0014-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior