The ExPo: BMW F650 GS Dakar Project Bike

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
It's with a great deal of excitement that I announce the arrival of the Expedition Portal BMW F650 GS Dakar Project Bike. Within the "light and fast" category, few motorbikes are as proven and storied as the F650 Dakar. In just a few days of searching, I came across this beautiful bike. A 2003 with just under 5,000 miles, this motorcycle was just begging to be ridden.

On Wednesday, I flew to Denver to pick it up and have spent the past few days riding it back to ExPo HQ in Prescott. It's been an absolute pleasure to ride this bike. I wont' lie, I was a little apprehensive, and even dubious that it would be road worthy and comfortable. How wrong I was

desert_2_zpsb1835bcd.jpg

Dakar_1_zps37d141c4.jpg
As a buy and fly project, I needed a convenient luggage solution. The Giant Loop Coyote bag, Fandango Tank bag, and Rogue Dry Bag served as a perfect solution. I simply checked the Coyote bag for my air travel leg to Denver. It was super easy to carry and worked great as my checked bag. To ensure waterproofness, the Coyote bag was fitted with three internal form fitted dry bags.

Dakar_3_zps47fa309c.jpg
Dakar_4_zps5c3bd80a.jpg

Dakar_5_zps4e8aac55.jpg

Initial Ride Impressions:

Ergonimics on this bike are surprisingly well defined. The factory bars and seat are at comfortable levels for my very average frame. I needed to make some minor adjustments to the rear brake lever to put it in reach of my toe, but that was easy. The previous owner had installed a tall windscreen and that has been a most critical addition, especially at speeds tipping the mile per minute range. This particular bike was fitted with heated grips, and I won't lie, that's been a great feature on a trip with 500 miles of rain.

The Engine is pretty incredible. I'm thumper-phobic as my hands and feet tend to go numb with relative ease. If not for the distinctive thumper exhaust note, it would be difficult to pin this as a single cylinder power plant. Power transfer is smooth and torquey through the range, and at the upper revs is remarkably smooth. Even at 80-85 mph, the engine seems at ease. Other singles need a solid flogging to maintain those speeds. Not this bike.

Off Road the Dakar really shines. I rolled over Weston Pass near Buena Vista with just two hours in the seat and felt perfectly at peace. The predictable manners and relative low weight were confidence inspiring. I played with the ABS to assess the limits, and that too gave ample confidence. The fork may not be the stiffest thing out there, but it's a far bit better than most in this genre. I look forward to more time in the dirt on this bike.

The Highway Proficiency of this motorcycle is really a stunner to me. I'm knocking down miles at high speeds with maximum comfort. Having logged 500 miles recently on the new 1200 GSW, I dare say it's a darn close replica to that rider experience....sorta. At one fourth the price of a GSW, it's pretty close in many ways, once up to steaming speed, anyway.

So far, I'm unbelievably impressed. I really expected a degree of disappointment with the overall riding experience, but I've been proven wholly wrong. It's an impressive machine. I knocked down 500 miles in what I would say is truly awful weather and it's been great.

Stay tuned for more. Tomorrow is another true test. 400 miles of slab. Lots, and lots of slab.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
While I won't argue with most of what you wrote, I would hesitate to bill this as "light and fast" - it is neither.

What it is, is an incredibly comfortable traveling bike, if your "travel" revolves around mild to moderate terrain, and speeds greater than ~10mph & less than ~80mph. Get much slower & the bike becomes heavy, get much faster, and it really starts lacking power. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that it's a "big dirt bike with a plate". If you're looking to drift through corners and jump off of stuff - this isn't it. If you're looking for a bike to live off of while you explore the great unknown for a few weeks or months - it's a fantastic choice.

I actually prefer traveling on the old F650GS (now called the G650GS) than my F800GS. The 800 is a bit high strung (IMO), where the 650GS would fall into a comfortable pace that let you enjoy your surroundings while still covering plenty of ground, & wouldn't wear you out in a typical day of riding (as long as you stayed on the mild to moderate terrain - a single track bike it isn't . . .).

Regardless - enjoy the ride!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
After 1000 miles in 2.5 days, I'm very impressed and fully understand everything Brian added to my initial impressions. Given our few pigeon holes here, I did file this in the "light and fast" category understanding it's neither of those things. It's not even very quick, but it sure doesn't mind going 70-75 all day long. I did 500 miles today at that tempo and it did great. It really is a comfortable bike although the seat isn't ideal for my boney butt.

Even with high crosswinds at times, it was manageable.

I wanted a bike with maximum versatility. For my needs and available terrain, this is it.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
All that matters is how the bike feels to you and if it works for you. These bikes look great and have a rabid following. A proven platform for sure. Nice write up and observations.

Oh and the subforum names are a little baffling to me. My KLR is neither Light or Fast but it's not a big ADV bike either.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It really is a comfortable bike although the seat isn't ideal for my boney butt.

BMW made a single seat (with a storage compartment built into the pillion area) that I found to be far more comfortable that the original seat. As a bonus, I was able to fit my basic tool kit along with spare tubes in it, eliminating the need to carry any extra luggage for day to day use.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
BMW made a single seat (with a storage compartment built into the pillion area) that I found to be far more comfortable that the original seat. As a bonus, I was able to fit my basic tool kit along with spare tubes in it, eliminating the need to carry any extra luggage for day to day use.
Hmmm....I shall commence the search for such a throne. This one has got to go.

gromit

Bad Buddhist
Check out a Rick Mayer or Russell Day Long seat. You give up a bit of ability to move fore/aft off road but the comfort of the semi-tractor seat can't be beat.

Gren_T

Adventurer
A sheepskin works wonders, without it I still get a numb bum after 14K miles & its not like I have a bony ********.
natural colour is best as the dye in the black can bleed in the rain.

look forward to seeing what's done to it, as it looks like it's already ridden through a touratech shop.:bike_rider:

regards all
Gren

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Sargent Seat

It's been a fun few weeks as the Dakar project takes shape. I finally got around to addressing the seat issue. I looked at a lot of seat options and once I looked into Sargent's new Performance Plus seat designed specifically for adventure riding, I knew that was the way to go. It's a really impressive system. I sent in my old seat so they could build the new one on the original seat pan. Once they received it, they had it in a box headed my way within 24 hours. Impressive.

The main issue I had with the factory seat was the really lame foam and the terrible shape. It was prone to slide me forward and the pressure on my tail bone was wicked. This new seat has a very defined sitting area which helps keep my hips rotated properly for better posture on the bike. I did lose some ability to slide fore/aft when offroad, but who the hell cares!! I'm comfy now!

The cover on the seat is awesome. The top aspects of the seat are a little grippy, but nothing which would prohibit me from finding the optimal position. The sides of the seat however, are covered in Sargent's Gripzone fabric. It has the grip of rubber, but again, not so grippy it feels odd. The whole thing is beautifully made and really added to the looks of the bike. I'm not wild about the aesthetics of the Dakar, but the seat made a huge improvement.

dakar_sargent_zps42a6b946.jpg
Here's the whole write up on the front page.

SARGENT PERFORMANCE PLUS SEAT

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
What ever happened to this? I just got offered a Dakar and am seriously tempted as I ride a DRZ400SM every day.

Black09JK

What ever happened to this? I just got offered a Dakar and am seriously tempted as I ride a DRZ400SM every day.

I would totally do it if I were you. Actually I did. :) I had a drz400sm and sold it to get the dakars replacement. The Sertao.

I haven't looked back. It was an excellent decision. For the type of riding I do the drz just wasn't fitting the bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior