The "Expedition hat" thread

Awkragt

Adventurer
I've enjoyed the Mesh Cabana from American Hat Makers. Very breathable and after a quick dip in water and it feels like you lowered the temperature 10 degrees.

1661969922552.png

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Not the same I tried that hat. Lasted three weeks. Definitely not the same
We’ll I guess, as they say, YMMV.

I’ve had mine for over 2 years now. I’ve worn it a lot while hiking in unexpected snow squalls, rain and mostly in the desert heat (soaking it with sweat) an it still’s in great shape, even after often packing it squished flat in my travel luggage.

67909B38-A365-4700-AE10-3AECCC667AC6.jpeg

What the heck did you do to destroy your’s so quickly?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We’ll I guess, as they say, YMMV.

I’ve had mine for over 2 years now. I’ve worn it a lot while hiking in unexpected snow squalls, rain and mostly in the desert heat (soaking it with sweat) an it still’s in great shape, even after often packing it squished flat in my travel luggage.

View attachment 740164

What the heck did you do to destroy your’s so quickly?
Wearing it to the swim practice. Stitching wasn’t UV stable or something snd just fell apart. Plus it was way hotter than the Stetson.

pluton

Adventurer
I got a Filson hat once. Nice big brim 'outback' style hat. Made of waxed cotton, oilcloth or some such. Took it on a desert trip. When I put it on on an 80ºF day, within 5 minutes it started to stink with a kind of machine oil smell. Back to the $19.95 washable cloth boonie. that hasn't worn out in 20 years.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Had Barmah hats for over 10 years (2 of) and they were abused - first one was worn every day working as an Outdoor Activity instructor, rain hail or shine. Would be clipped in my canoe on whitewater if I had a helmet on, was worn swimming quite often, just abused. Eventually even the 2nd one got too feral, so replaced with an Akubra a few years ago - which doesn't get abused in the same way.

Winter hat is generally an old Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap (proper old one that was made with Triplepoint Ceramic) - I think that's nudging 20 years old and is still waterproof.

Walking hat is either my Akubra or a light weight cap from Dusty.

For those getting an Akubra (or Akubra type), I was recommended by the place I bought it at (proper old school Lebanese country department store in regional NSW, one of the ones featured in this piece so they've been around a few years) to get one the size up from what I needed and then pack inside the brow band with some fabric off-cuts. It really makes a difference, as by mistake I took the smaller size home and whilst it fitted perfectly, it was actually a smidge tight over a long (warm) period of time. Luckily, I was able to swap it for the size up the next day, and I've packed that with some 1" strips of material offcuts. This means I can pad the hat to fit my head properly (for example the sides need a bit more packing than the front and back) and there's a bit of give (that the felt doesn't have otherwise).

I have two favorites, the Sunday Afternoon for sweaty activities like chasing early season chukar when it’s hotter than hell, and the Akubra Riverina for cooler weather. The Aukubra has a tall crown and a 4” brim. Get a stampede string for windy weather.

Nice to see a 13 year old thread still active.

The_Squid

I have a goreTex wide brimmed hat and a lighter wide brimmed. I think they’re both OR brand.

I hate how they look. I wear them anyway because they’re comfortable and useful at keeping off rain and sun. I wish I looked cooler when I’m wearing them though.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
The best hats are those from Tilley. My two favorites are the Wanderer and LTM6. Well made, timeless style and a lifetime guarantee. What more could you want?

ITTOG

Wow, I feel like a simpleton. I wear the same hat for all occasions: in the sun, shade, snow, water, rain, on the moon...

I do round the bill though. I am not dumb.
1663874835344.png

I found this online.
Curved Bill Hats
Curved bill hats are a timeless fashion. Although they're not as trendy as flat bill hats, they're still an extremely popular choice. A curved bill cap is a perfect way to display your masculinity, especially if you're male. Here are some ways to wear them. Continue reading to learn more. Below are a few of the most well-known styles. They're perfect for any event! https://ballcap.com/pages/flat-bill-hats

I guess flat bills display femininity?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke