The "Expedition hat" thread

WVI

Adventurer
I have a mesh hat like the last to but they ride on the top of my head to heavy.
I like the hats by Sunday Afternoon.

Kevin108

Explorer
For 2+ years, I have lived in this hat. I've used it in sun, rain, snow, etc. I have no idea whether it's still available or not. It's from Red Head, and I got it from Bass Pro for about $50. Seemed like a lot for a hat, but it's held together great and always goes back into shape.

Last edited:

Teachyboy

Best I have found is tilley hat. Double strap keeps it in place. Lifetime warranty. I wore one for years sailing around the world.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Living in the mountains and about 20 feet from the sun I have a number of wide brimmed hats. A couple of Tilleys, Stetsons, several of those austrailian/Indiana Jones waxed cotton hats, a couple of felt Stratton’s, all have been ok and performed ok in vary weather conditions, but nothing that made them special. But, I think I’ve found the best place to get some of the coolest, custom fit, USA made hats! Of course you’ll have to drive to Cheyenne, Wy to the Wrangler store downtown but it’s worth it (and there is a brewery close by). Anyway, they have about 100 different straw and felt hats by dozens of different hat makers. These aren’t your typically beachside t-shirt shop cowboy hats but real working hats of all shapes, materials and sizes. I learned a great deal from the young man in the hat stop about the difference between the hats, materials, how to fit the hat, how to wear the hat, care, maintenance and the best part was having it fitted, steamed, shaped, stiffened to fit my melon of a head. All for $60. I think I’ve found my new addiction!

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

snowfiend

Picked up another Tilley hat, TWS-1 Paddlers hat in Grey. This will be my water/lake/ocean hat and the LTM-6 in OD is my hiking/hunting/adventure hat.

WVI

Adventurer
I worked on assorted clean-up projects around the Mainland US/HI and Wake Island.
I wore out a couple Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hats.
They worked really well in keeping the sun off my face and even could block the wind if needed.
Easy to wash as well.
I could even wear ears defenders over them if needed.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have been looking for a felt type hat (for years) with a wide brim. I'm talking at least 5 inches. Not a straw surfer hat but like the ones worn by the cattle men in OZ that I have seen in movies.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I have been looking for a felt type hat (for years) with a wide brim. I'm talking at least 5 inches. Not a straw surfer hat but like the ones worn by the cattle men in OZ that I have seen in movies.

If you happen to live close to any real ranching/farm areas that have some shops sell ranching/farm clothing they should have a good selection of felt hats. I think I know the type of hat your describing and has a different type of crown then a typical cowboy hat and they do have such hats. Typically, (as I’ve just recently learned) you can find the style of felt hat you like and then they can steam it to the shape (lower the brim flatter for more sun coverage, dip the front and back of the brim for wind and rain run off and so the back of doesn’t keep hitting the head rest, etc...) or order the exact hat you like. Put a pan of water in the stove and bring to a steam and steam and shape the hat to your design. Oh, and purchase some felt hat stiffener to spray on to stiffen and hold the new shape. Good luck!

MatttheHatt

Like an Aussy Sombrero?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Raul

Adventurer
I got this at Costco a few years ago. I love it, but I only use it when hiking, for vehicle trips with short hops out I find the baseball cap more practical.
1595353526985.png

Reactions: WVI

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
'Strayan cattleman hats are different than 'Merican. We over-fus the crown.

Try this site:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles