The "Expedition hat" thread

southpier

Expedition Leader
They told me there's nothing they can do. Natural color change from the sun....
It's a hideous green, btw. Retired-guy that fly fishes badly green.

sigh

I can't see it when it's on my head anyhow and it still works.

so Tilley sells a hat, that can't be worn in the sun without changing color? I'm sure that's clearly noted in their advertisements.

just like the Pella window rep told me the sliding doors leak because they were installed on a beach house. ******?

jerdog53

Explorer
My latest flee market find...

DSC04326_zps67e3b2a5.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
nice. I just picked up an Outdoor goretex sombrero at the retail fleamarket, Winners/tj maxx. 24 bucks instead of 80 here.

labs4me

1-2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tilley Airflo with the (stowable/removable) cloth in the rear to keep biting flies and sun off my neck.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I grab a paper hat when I go to Krispy Cream Doughnuts. Don't laugh because they fold flat and don't take up any room. If you find yourself pushing your bike and want your helmet off or just wind up un expectantly in the sun with your bald head they work. A bandana is better but they get used as a rag or bandage so the back up paper hat can save you in a pinch from a sunburned head.
image.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I grab a paper hat when I go to Krispy Cream Doughnuts. Don't laugh because they fold flat and don't take up any room. If you find yourself pushing your bike and want your helmet off or just wind up un expectantly in the sun with your bald head they work. A bandana is better but they get used as a rag or bandage so the back up paper hat can save you in a pinch from a sunburned head.
View attachment 238778

We have a winner! That is the best expedition hat EVER! And if you get hungry, im sure there is enough donut flavor and smell to make it palletalbe. ha ha!

Blaker55

I am a big fan of the Tilley airflow.
Pros:
Soft, flexible, packable, cool, float, look good.

Cons:
Dont absorb much water to help cool you down.
Soft brim flops up like Gomer Pyle when high speeding in the boat.

I have also purchased a Doorman Pacific airflow style that has a big, stiff brim that stays in the boat.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
P
I bought this Dorfman Pacific in January 2005 in New Mexico, on the way to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. It has been worn quite a bit across the country, in the Jeep, in the boat, tractor, dusty roads, hiking, beaches. It may have changed color slightly. It has gotten dirty. It blew off my head while boating into the Chesapeake Bay. It absorbs a lot of water. It also shrunk so it became a headache tight fit. Went into the marina pool about three weeks later and got submerged many times by Grandkids. It re-stretched, probably lost a litle dirt, has not rotted like Tilley warns. Can't seem to kill it. Netting has lost its form, maybe needs some starch. The hold down strap is still complete, it just will not stay tight around the brim, so it hangs.
image.jpg

Last edited:

JLee

Adventurer
I caved and bought a Tilley TH5 hemp hat - found it on a retailer via eBay for $64.99. I ordered two sizes above my normal hat size (though it's been a long time since I wore a hat with a 'size') - I rounded up to the closest size from what I got measuring my head. It's tighter than I expected it to be, but I can still fit two flat fingers between my forehead and the hat so I think the fit is correct. I'm looking forward to breaking it in!

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Expedition hat??????

I caved and bought a Tilley TH5 hemp hat - found it on a retailer via eBay for $64.99. I ordered two sizes above my normal hat size (though it's been a long time since I wore a hat with a 'size') - I rounded up to the closest size from what I got measuring my head. It's tighter than I expected it to be, but I can still fit two flat fingers between my forehead and the hat so I think the fit is correct. I'm looking forward to breaking it in!
$65 for a hat????? ******???? just get a hat... any hat, all this about an "Expedition hat" wow! I guess I need to address my hats, ball cap, cheap straw gardeners hat, they work and don't break the bank....... I guess not so "kool" tho..... mjmcdowell

perterra

Adventurer
$65 for a hat????? ******???? just get a hat... any hat, all this about an "Expedition hat" wow! I guess I need to address my hats, ball cap, cheap straw gardeners hat, they work and don't break the bank....... I guess not so "kool" tho..... mjmcdowell

Why buy a hat, just set a Frisbee on your head, or half a cantaloupe. You may need to get out more often

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles