The "Expedition hat" thread

aknightinak

Wow, I feel like a simpleton. I wear the same hat for all occasions: in the sun, shade, snow, water, rain, on the moon...

I do round the bill though. I am not dumb.

Same, essentially. I go back and forth between a boonie hat in Multi-cam and a ballcap in Mossy Oak with a "No Pebble" emblem and a well-worked bill.

One thing that's become necessary for all of my warm season hats, whatever I choose, is an ample application of permethrin. These days it's the yellow spray bottle from REI (and other places). The Coleman spray works when the spray works, but I gave up on this product because of that. I do my go-to camp clothes as well, and it really upsets some of my friends how unbothered by bugs I am the whole time they're getting devoured.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Expedition hat, I got a chuckle out of this.
Just in regards to what I use. And when I started thinking about it. What I use, when.
When working, and on contract. It’s a Condor mesh ballcap, I wear them until they are shredded. They are cheap, and easily replaced. This is probably the umpteenth or so (From my amazon history the average is every 2 years) , replaced a few months ago.

Generally, when not working, I have the tan wide brim for summer use, and the dark one for winter/rainy season. If I’m outside, hiking, exploring, etc
All of them work well for the respective uses.

The dark one, is Outback Trading “River Guide hat”
And the light vented one, also from the same company is the “Mariner hat”
Both allow either side to be snapped up.

IMG_20231008_164846_584.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles