The Downside of Titan Swaps

Sangster

Adventurer
Are there any locker options for the M205 yet? I'm loving the Lokka in my R180 stock diff. But, while the Lokka definitively makes the stock diff stronger, it doesn't do anything for the half shafts. I've blown 6 of them (35's plus the lokka). Every single one has broken approx 1" from the end...inside the diff. So I can't even do a trail swap with a spare, cause the diff has to be pulled so I can poke the broken off piece out. The Titan shafts have a bolt-on flange, which is stronger.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Are there any locker options for the M205 yet? I'm loving the Lokka in my R180 stock diff. But, while the Lokka definitively makes the stock diff stronger, it doesn't do anything for the half shafts. I've blown 6 of them (35's plus the lokka). Every single one has broken approx 1" from the end...inside the diff. So I can't even do a trail swap with a spare, cause the diff has to be pulled so I can poke the broken off piece out. The Titan shafts have a bolt-on flange, which is stronger.

Yes, I have an ARB (and 4.56 gears) in the M205 diff in my Xterra.

JOSX2

Observer
put in 600/650lb coils & no problem then! Then, add an aftermarket bumper & you'll be good ;-)

glamisdude72000

Desert Camper
Or run a rear swaybar like me:) Also most would agree that after swapping the truck has more body roll but feels more stable. Hard to explain...

bigskypylot

Explorer
I'm not running front or rear sway bar. Drives fine. If I want to take Corners, I'll drive a touring sedan or a sport coupes lol

RonapRhys

Adventurer
The extra width does make things squirrely on certain trails. I run with several guys that have done it and, when we were doing Black Bear, Imogene, and other trails in that area they had a much higher pucker factor than I did. That being said, the extra width was really helpful on other obstacles, so it's a mixed bag.

Figure out what kind of wheeling you want to do and modify your rig accordingly. For me, running an ARB up front was perfect.

For those of you breaking half shafts, look into the RCV ones. Expensive as hell up front, but guaranteed for life no matter how you break them.

MNCarl

The Moose

Check out https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com

CV Axles: https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/2005...8_1387.html?osCsid=vej83sfvcvme9sd830pss1kj50

M205 locker: https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/2004-20015-nissan-titan-a60-air-locker-c-284_1477_1213.html

They even have a move out of your apartment / sell your house and live in your truck solid axle swap:
https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-frontier-solid-axle-swap-kit-by-rugged-rocks-2005-p-60709.html

davidshourd

Adventurer
I have been running TS for a couple years now, maybe about 4 years. thousands of miles on and off road, but admittedly more miles on highways then anywhere else. I have not been running any sway bar either and with the right tuned shocks it is really not an issue. does it handle like stock, nope. but if that is all a person wants then just look at some small spacer lifts and call it a day.
Additional width is really not an issue at all, it takes about a week worth of driving to get use to. the added travel makes up for any disadvantage that the width may cause. but if you roll on some trails where 3" on each side is a deal breaker it might be time to get an ATV or side by side. :) been on those all over NW and got the pin stripping to prove it!
I have run everything from heavy duty springs with after marker shocks, to radflo with total chaos arms, then titan swap with full remote res sway away coil overs and now titan swap arms running Toyota tundra coils over some bilstein 5100's. latter being the best set up of everything I have tried. solid.

\

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Thanks for the discussion. If I was to do the swap, I would have to get flares to cover the tires where I live, so the mud would not be an issue. As for on road, I would also try to make the sway bar work from a titan, as I am doing the Alcan 5000 in truck, so handling around corners is a concern. The 1/2 foot increase in width is the unknown factor for me. I have been in many spots where I think it might be an issue, at the same time if I was wider I might not have ended up in those spots to begin with. Might just have to try it out, to find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke