The Dometic CFX3 Mega Thread

itllgrowback

Thinking about this some more, even an AGM 12v battery will be at its discharge floor (50%) at 12.2v. So the Dometic battery protection modes all fail to stop the battery from dropping past the specified discharge floor for that type as well. It's not just an issue with LiFePO4 batteries.

So what am I missing? I don't know why anyone would want their battery (whether a lead-acid starting battery or a LiFePO4 house battery) to drop below the specified maximum discharge floor, but none of the Dometic Battery Protection settings prevent that from happening. Honestly wondering what I'm missing here. I could be mistaken somewhere in my logic but I haven't found it yet.

I know that in my old setup, there was a lot of voltage drop by the time the current reached the fridge; and so some buffer there was nice; when the Dometic saw 11.6v for example, the actual battery might still be at 12.1v; but in cases where there is more efficiency like a house battery directly feeding the fridge, I want the battery protection levels to allow me to actually protect my battery from hitting the minimum discharge floor (which, again, on a LiFePO4 battery is like 12.9v).

I would like to be able to specify a higher limit in the Battery Protection settings to actually match the specifications of my battery and protect against falling below the specified discharge floor.

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Given the wide range of batteries and battery formulations available, we don't currently have the means to customize the settings that govern battery protection so the settings offered are generally workable. Unfortunately, in your case, it's not the level of control you need.

** disclaimer - no idea if this is something the product team is working on or not

That said, for those that want finer-grained control, we've seen builds that incorporate the following:

51LHeN9VO7L._AC_SX679_.jpg

These are inline low-voltage disconnects. We found these on Amazon, and they also have a Bluetooth version which might be really useful for your application and needs.

I hope this helps a bit (y)

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

19mystic96

Just picked up a CFX375DZ and insulated cover for a steal on local CL..

Any suggestions on storage when I'm not using? Should I leave it unplugged on the shelf or have it plugged in and running via AC to keep things moving inside?

Attachments

• AB6F22C0-0C64-4898-BB92-A3BC92B63085.jpeg
    AB6F22C0-0C64-4898-BB92-A3BC92B63085.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8

Dometic

Just picked up a CFX375DZ and insulated cover for a steal on local CL..

Any suggestions on storage when I'm not using? Should I leave it unplugged on the shelf or have it plugged in and running via AC to keep things moving inside?

Great you found a good deal locally!

As for storage, when not used, there isn't a need to keep it plugged in. I would recommend just propping the top open so that it gets airflow through it and allows any moisture that might be present to evaporate. Of course, keep it somewhere out of the elements and an area with it's dry (y)

Enjoy your new (to you) cooler!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

19mystic96

Quick question to add onto my previous post--

Can these fridges operate off a modified sine wave inverter? My truck has a 400w aC plug I was hoping to use to power the fridge while I use the 12v to charge my power station for now.

This idea/plan is temporary until I can replace the factory inverter with a larger pure sine wave unit.

Hegear

Quick question to add onto my previous post--

Can these fridges operate off a modified sine wave inverter? My truck has a 400w aC plug I was hoping to use to power the fridge while I use the 12v to charge my power station for now.

This idea/plan is temporary until I can replace the factory inverter with a larger pure sine wave unit.
It would run on that but you would be probably be better to charge the power station of the inverter and plug your fridge into either the 12v outlet in the car or into your 12v on power station. That way your power station would charge faster.

GXSEE22

Hello Dometic (if they are still monitoring this thread).

I've have a CFX3 35 for about a year now - and no issues with it.

I just purchased a CFX3 25 (brand new) and I must say the compressor seems really loud.

Comparing the CFX3 35 and 25 compressors, when running:

The 35 has quiet(er) hum / gurgle sound. The 25 has a loud rumble sound until it drops the temp to target. While I don't mind the 35 running nearby when I'm sleeping, I can't have the 25 in the same room / area during sleep time.

Is the CFX3 25, when the compressor is running, supposed to be so loud? or do I have a defective unit?

Attachments

• IMG_2084.jpeg
    IMG_2084.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 8

Dometic

I just purchased a CFX3 25 (brand new) and I must say the compressor seems really loud.

The 35 has quiet(er) hum / gurgle sound. The 25 has a loud rumble sound until it drops the temp to target. While I don't mind the 35 running nearby when I'm sleeping, I can't have the 25 in the same room / area during sleep time.

Is the CFX3 25, when the compressor is running, supposed to be so loud? or do I have a defective unit?

Hi - I dropped you a private message with some info on getting in touch with someone on our team that might be able to assist (y)

Thanks!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
dometic.com

jeegro

Adventurer

Please let us know what happens with this! I'd like to get the 25.

ardpub

I have a CFX3 55IM purchased new on Amazon in December. I've used it on several trips without issue but now twice I've gotten Error 33, both when my flooded lead acid batteries were only around 30% discharged, reading 12.45v. The first time it went away after reset. The second time it happened repeatedly, including after I connected to shore power (over 13v) and only stopped when I connected directly to an AC outlet.

I have the CFX3 battery protection set to low and have confirmed via my Smartshunt readings that the lowest voltage registered is above 12v.

I did the wiring for the cooler myself following the recommended 10awg wire and its run less than 8 feet.

I'm guessing I need to contact Dometic for a warranty replacement? I wish there was a way to just disable the battery protection.
IMG_6086.PNG

RacerAV

Woohoo... Just ordered my CFX3 55IM today! Can't wait to put it to work. I guess I'm an overlander now... No more wheeling and camping for me! It's overlanding all the way! ?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Woohoo... Just ordered my CFX3 55IM today! Can't wait to put it to work. I guess I'm an overlander now... No more wheeling and camping for me! It's overlanding all the way! ?
After reading this thread and many others I don't understand why people keep buying the CFX3 Series fridges from Dometic, There have been Hundreds Upon Hundred of CFX3 Owners who have had seious issues with them,

The Original CFX was a Good Fridge but the CFX3 Series are Rubbish, Because Dometic refused to Re-Call the early ones sold and Correct the Problems that happen when you Connect Both Leads, which every other Fridge on the market can do, Yet the CFX3 Series go in to Self Distruct Mode. And the only thing Dometic has done about the problem is to tell people not to plug in both leads at the same time instead of fixing the problem.

You would be best to order another brand and ignore what the SalesMan Says.

RacerAV

After reading this thread and many others I don't understand why people keep buying the CFX3 Series fridges from Dometic, There have been Hundreds Upon Hundred of CFX3 Owners who have had seious issues with them,

The Original CFX was a Good Fridge but the CFX3 Series are Rubbish, Because Dometic refused to Re-Call the early ones sold and Correct the Problems that happen when you Connect Both Leads, which every other Fridge on the market can do, Yet the CFX3 Series go in to Self Distruct Mode. And the only thing Dometic has done about the problem is to tell people not to plug in both leads at the same time instead of fixing the problem.

You would be best to order another brand and ignore what the SalesMan Says.
I've never hated a brand just because of negative reviews. From what I've seen across many forums and the web, Dometic is investing a lot into the whole "overland" life... I appreciate that. There are other brands doing similar work, and I appreciate that as well.

I've seen budget brand products have issues, yet I've had great experiences, and I've had problems with premium brand products. I go with what I'm comfortable with, what I respect. It seems like Dometic customer service/sales/etc. are available, communicative, the products are innovative, well made, etc. It was between this fridge or an equivalent ARB fridge. I went with the Dometic. Price was good (20% off), looks great, meets my specs/needs, etc. Resale value is better than say, a Rough Country (I thought about getting that one too. Nothing wrong with that option! Love the internal battery!)
I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes! I think this is my first Dometic product IIRC, so I'm not just a Dometic Fanboy or anything.

Plugging in two different power sources simultaneously isn't something I'd normally do, with anything. Not really worried I'll ruin it by doing that. I'm more concerned with dust intrusion, moisture, etc. I don't pretend to know everything. I'm always willing to do my research but at the end of the day, you've got to give it a shot!

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I've never hated a brand just because of negative reviews. From what I've seen across many forums and the web, Dometic is investing a lot into the whole "overland" life... I appreciate that. There are other brands doing similar work, and I appreciate that as well.

I've seen budget brand products have issues, yet I've had great experiences, and I've had problems with premium brand products. I go with what I'm comfortable with, what I respect. It seems like Dometic customer service/sales/etc. are available, communicative, the products are innovative, well made, etc. It was between this fridge or an equivalent ARB fridge. I went with the Dometic. Price was good (20% off), looks great, meets my specs/needs, etc. Resale value is better than say, a Rough Country (I thought about getting that one too. Nothing wrong with that option! Love the internal battery!)
I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes! I think this is my first Dometic product IIRC, so I'm not just a Dometic Fanboy or anything.

Plugging in two different power sources simultaneously isn't something I'd normally do, with anything. Not really worried I'll ruin it by doing that. I'm more concerned with dust intrusion, moisture, etc. I don't pretend to know everything. I'm always willing to do my research but at the end of the day, you've got to give it a shot!
Yep for sure,

It really annoyed me because I have a lot of Dometic products, In the past 3 - 4 years alont I have bought 3 of their fridges and 2 of their Dometic PLB 40 SoGens which all have been fantastic products, I went to a big camping Expo and saw the newer CFX3 range and due to all the issues I bought 2 other brand fridges,

I wish Dometic would fix the problem but I won't buy one until they do, There are many other Top Brands out there, My little Dometic works like a charm and it's coming up to 4 years old soon and it is so easy on the power so I bought a second one so I would always have one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles