The Dometic CFX3 Mega Thread

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I think you are missing part of the problem because you are focused on the +6 Degree temp rise. I am relaying the behavior that I see when I get the error. I subsequently have warm food and temps in the 60's. I also see the same temps on the fridge as I do in the app.
Well in that case you have a blockage in the system either from Dirt/Grit or Solder, That is the most common cause of failures in New Fridges and yours needs to go back and be replaced, It is not a job that can be repaired because it's impossible to know where the blockage is throughout all the little Veins,

Hope that helps.

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Back in town. Capturing errors in the app is a bit challenging because they do not persist. I sat down at camp and just watched the fridge. It seems to go through 2-3 cycles of running for <30 seconds or so and lets the temp climb 6 degrees. It then runs through a long cycle to bring the temp back down. This is when I captured the error "Valve Ice Faulty". If it's easiest, I can call support but would be happy to talk to the PM.

When you are observing the quick cycling, what voltage does the app/fridge show?
Back in town. Capturing errors in the app is a bit challenging because they do not persist. I sat down at camp and just watched the fridge. It seems to go through 2-3 cycles of running for <30 seconds or so and lets the temp climb 6 degrees. It then runs through a long cycle to bring the temp back down. This is when I captured the error "Valve Ice Faulty". If it's easiest, I can call support but would be happy to talk to the PM.

The mobile cooling PM just returned from vacation, and I forwarded the information you've shared. I'll follow up with you as soon as I hear back from him. (y)

Thanks!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

Seth_sd

When you are observing the quick cycling, what voltage does the app/fridge show?

The mobile cooling PM just returned from vacation, and I forwarded the information you've shared. I'll follow up with you as soon as I hear back from him. (y)

Thanks!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

Thanks for the follow-up. Now that I am home, I pulled everything apart and it looks like an issue with the 12V socket wiring on my end.

aearles

Observer
@Dometic - Thought I'd share a little positive feedback... I've had my 55IM for a couple weeks now and it's been running perfectly, as expected. The new protective cover just came in and I've gotta say I am really impressed with the new design, it's a much better and more flexible solution than the original CFX covers and the fit and workmanship is perfect. (y)

I am a little disappointed to see the 35 is back in stock now since that's the model I really wanted. If you guys wanna send me a decent coupon code, I might have to get one of those too! ;)

Nelson_Cine

So, I was having some issues with my Dometic CFX3 35 which I posted about earlier in this thread and just wanted to update things. The fridge would run fine when the temps were cooler in the spring, but as summer heat started I noticed the fridge would not turn on unless the the vehicle, a 2016 Jeep JKU, was running or had been running for sometime topping up the battery. What I would notice is that the compressor would start, but then quickly stop, I had it on Medium battery protection, but I wouldn’t get any notification about low battery. I tried it on the Low setting and that seemed to help but only for short while. Anyway, after talking to Dometic tech support they suggested it was the battery, as it was just the stock battery. So, I put in a Yellow Top Optima and that seemed to help, but on a camping trip over a weekend in scorching heat, the fridge was only lasting a day, ( I’d had success with a few days in the spring with no problems). When I got back home I did some troubleshooting and what I found was the amount of line loss getting to my rear 12v plug in the Jeep was loosing around 1 volt. I’ve now installed a direct line from the battery and everything seems good. I used an ARB fridge plug kit as I couldn’t find any Dometic in stock. But now there is basically zero line loss and the fridge has been running for the past 3 days without issue. The temps here aren’t as hot as they have been, so once we get another heat wave that will be the real test.

Anyway, the short story if anyone is reading this and debating a fridge, power can and probably will be an issue for you. When looking at the costs to get one running, factor in at minimum a battery connection kit (or make your own) then look at the cost of some kind of deep cycle battery if you won’t be running your vehicle everyday on your trips.
Now that I’ve done this, I have faith in my CFX3-35 and love it.

Riptyd64

So I bought a Dometic CFX 55L. Love it! Tried to buy a slider mount for it and it took 6 weeks of phone calls and hours on hold only to finally be told Dometic doesn’t make a slide for that model any more and has no idea when or if they will make one in the future. Had I known that I probably would have bought something else.
Horrible customer service. I don’t recommend purchasing a cooler until you verify accessories are available

u00mem9

Just received my new CFX3 75DZ to replace a CFX40. Love the size but I have a problem. I had my CFX40 plugged into the in-vehicle AC inverter that was powered when the vehicle was running. It was also plugged into my 12v regulated supply from my solar / battery system (isolated from the vehicle). That worked flawlessly. When the vehicle was running, it would draw from the inverter, and when the vehicle was shutoff, it would switch to the solar battery.

I plugged the new CFX3 75DZ in the same way, and when the AC is powered, I am seeing voltage back at the 12 plug even when it's not plugged into anything. ~6.8v. I fear someone screwed up the power schematics and this unit isn't going to be able to be used in that dual supply fashion without some external work on my side :(

Just an FYI since it doesn't seem to be clearly stated here. This issue I was having while attached to AC and DC has now become a recall for the CFX3 units produced between Nov 2019 and Jun 2020. I suspect that is 100% of the initial production batch. Looks like they are all going back...

).

I actually communicated with a Dometic engineer via email back in June before departing on a 3 week trip. They were helpless. It blows my mind to return and find out this has turned into a full blown recall with NHTSA involved and yet no one has ever gotten in touch with me to say, "oh that problem YOU were having is a problem WE are having." Sheesh.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Just an FYI since it doesn't seem to be clearly stated here. This issue I was having while attached to AC and DC has now become a recall for the CFX3 units produced between Nov 2019 and Jun 2020. I suspect that is 100% of the initial production batch. Looks like they are all going back...

).

I actually communicated with a Dometic engineer via email back in June before departing on a 3 week trip. They were helpless. It blows my mind to return and find out this has turned into a full blown recall with NHTSA involved and yet no one has ever gotten in touch with me to say, "oh that problem YOU were having is a problem WE are having." Sheesh.

Thanks for posting.

Not going to start throwing shade, but why no notice here Dometic?

Maybe at least let people know not to simultaneously have plugged in both ways?

archerwolf

The recall notice says Dometic has not finished their customer notification plan. It sucks, but social media managers for companies can’t and won’t share any info like this until the language is all approved by executives.

I’m curious what the use case would be to have a fridge plugged into AC and DC at the same time. It seems like a bad idea.

Also, I thought it was interesting to know there are about 5500 total units of CFX3 fridges sold across all the models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Louder

Explorer
The recall notice says Dometic has not finished their customer notification plan. It sucks, but social media managers for companies can’t and won’t share any info like this until the language is all approved by executives.

I’m curious what the use case would be to have a fridge plugged into AC and DC at the same time. It seems like a bad idea.

Also, I thought it was interesting to know there are about 5500 total units of CFX3 fridges sold across all the models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fridge is supposed to know which power to draw from with both plugs connected. I do it all the time. Fridge is in the truck ready to run on 12 volt but when in the garage it is plugged into 110. Personally I usually turn it off, unplug 110, and then power it back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles