The Dometic CFX3 Mega Thread

svinyard

I'm a fridge newbie but looking at a Camper that comes with a DZ75 + Goal Zero 1400+160w Solar Panel roof. Seems like a killer fridge and we are a family of four so I like the size. Dual zone allows me to use the other side as dry storage for quick trips. How big of a deal is it to not just plug or unplug the AC/DC setup? Is it just the 4 second nuisance required to swap them rather than have them both in or is it something beyond that? Will newer fridges be able to run with both AC/DC plugged in? Is there some other gucci fridge that is better?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I'm a fridge newbie but looking at a Camper that comes with a DZ75 + Goal Zero 1400+160w Solar Panel roof. Seems like a killer fridge and we are a family of four so I like the size. Dual zone allows me to use the other side as dry storage for quick trips. How big of a deal is it to not just plug or unplug the AC/DC setup? Is it just the 4 second nuisance required to swap them rather than have them both in or is it something beyond that? Will newer fridges be able to run with both AC/DC plugged in? Is there some other gucci fridge that is better?
IF it is the CFX 75DZ then it is ok to plug in both power cords, BUT If it is the CFX3 75DZ then it is not good to plug in both power cords, The earlier CFX Models are an awesome fridge,

hope that helps.

svinyard

IF it is the CFX 75DZ then it is ok to plug in both power cords, BUT If it is the CFX3 75DZ then it is not good to plug in both power cords, The earlier CFX Models are an awesome fridge,

hope that helps.
Yeah its the CFX3. So no plugging in both sources at once then...it wasn't an issue that was fixed but is basically "just how it is"? Odd that the feature was removed for a fancy new fridge? Why was that? Did it help make it more efficient or something? That being said, part of me wonders if its a big deal or not just unplugging the one source I guess. A better housing would have just been to have a plastic sliding shield that forced you to remove one port to plugin the other.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yeah its the CFX3. So no plugging in both sources at once then...it wasn't an issue that was fixed but is basically "just how it is"? Odd that the feature was removed for a fancy new fridge? Why was that? Did it help make it more efficient or something? That being said, part of me wonders if its a big deal or not just unplugging the one source I guess. A better housing would have just been to have a plastic sliding shield that forced you to remove one port to plugin the other.
The Previous CFX used the Danfos/Secop compressor, With the CFX3 Dometic have fitted their own Compressor so maybe the trouble is in the new compressor,

If you can get them to remove the fridge from the Deal then buy your self a National Luna 50L or this 60L model in this link, They are the Best Duel Zones Bar None,

But if they won't agree to it then Send the CFX3 back to dometic and buy the National Luna, because some of their range have a 7 year+ warranty Ok,

National Luna is the Rolls Royce of fridges so you will never find a better fridge, My Personal bigger fridges are ARB Blue Classic series which have the same running gear as the national Luna's and the earlier CFX series which is the Danfos/Secop Compressors,

Here is their complete range of Twin control and twin control twin Lid fridges, you just need to do a search for them in the country where you live, National Luna were first made for the WHO and NASA, So these are the real deal Ok.

EDIT, Just don't buy a Snomaster because they REALLY chew up the Batteries. I also have one of them and they are £$*&,

Hope that Helps,

Last edited:

svinyard

The Previous CFX used the Danfos/Secop compressor, With the CFX3 Dometic have fitted their own Compressor so maybe the trouble is in the new compressor,

If you can get them to remove the fridge from the Deal then buy your self a National Luna 50L or this 60L model in this link, They are the Best Duel Zones Bar None,

But if they won't agree to it then Send the CFX3 back to dometic and buy the National Luna, because some of their range have a 7 year+ warranty Ok,

National Luna is the Rolls Royce of fridges so you will never find a better fridge, My Personal bigger fridges are ARB Blue Classic series which have the same running gear as the national Luna's and the earlier CFX series which is the Danfos/Secop Compressors,

Here is their complete range of Twin control and twin control twin Lid fridges, you just need to do a search for them in the country where you live, National Luna were first made for the WHO and NASA, So these are the real deal Ok

Hope that Helps,

Yeah I am able to skip the fridge if need be. Those luna's look really nice. Their new Legacy models have an 8yr warranty on the compressor too. Their dual zone 72 looks sick. Actually finding one could be tricky here in the US but I have some time.

Regarding the CFX3, is it comparable to the Luna aside from their odd charging control that only allows one source at a time?? If that doesn't bother me, I'm wondering what I give up in sticking with that instead of the Luna. Thank you for the education btw.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yeah I am able to skip the fridge if need be. Those luna's look really nice. Their new Legacy models have an 8yr warranty on the compressor too. Their dual zone 72 looks sick. Actually finding one could be tricky here in the US but I have some time.

Regarding the CFX3, is it comparable to the Luna aside from their odd charging control that only allows one source at a time?? If that doesn't bother me, I'm wondering what I give up in sticking with that instead of the Luna. Thank you for the education btw.
National Luna are Awesome,

I went and saw the CFX3 range at back in February at a big Camping EXPO and to be honest they are very uninspiring, If you stick with the CFX3 it will annoy the heck out of you forever knowing that the fridge you are looking at is substandard and has a permanent Fault, Every other Duel Voltage fridge on the Planet can have BOTH power sources plugged in t the same time, For a $1000/$1400 fridge just is so unacceptable , YOU can buy a Cheap Knockoff from China that can do what the CFX3 can and it will run Sweet on Both Power sources at the same time for years,

You work hard for your money and you deserve better, So I would buy the N/L and if you buy another camper years down the Track you can take the National Luna with you in to that Camper,,

If you want something to be proud of buy a National Luna because knowing the faults with the CFX3 will drive you Nuts,

There are 3 Brands that are Tops, and they are National Luna, ARB and Engel, so don't consider any others if you want Quality, OK (y)

EDIT, No the CFX3 is not in the same League as the National Luna,

hope that helps,

Last edited:

j_colter

@escapen - wanted to follow up on the information you requested.

For the CFX3 35-75DZ it is 16AWG
For the CFX3 95 and 100 it is 14AWG

Hope this helps!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

@Dometic It would be really beneficial for you to increase the wire gauge on your included 12v plugs. Between vehicle wiring and the thin 14-16 gauge in the included power cables, many people have issues with voltage drop at the coolers and early shut off of the cooler due to voltage.

j_colter

CFX3 Insulated Covers are currently in stock!

View attachment 597048

View attachment 597049

View attachment 597050

View attachment 597051

If you've been looking for one of the new CFX3 insulated covers, we've got them in stock, for all CFX3 sizes, via our web store.

To place an order click here and be sure to use the coupon code below to save a bit of $$$!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

@Dometic will the CFX3 covers fit the previous cfx95dz2?

j_colter

@Dometic, any chance the control board for the CFX3 could be installed in the CFX95DZ2? Love the unit but the WIFI connectivity is not very useful, having bluetooth for it would top it off.

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
@Dometic It would be really beneficial for you to increase the wire gauge on your included 12v plugs. Between vehicle wiring and the thin 14-16 gauge in the included power cables, many people have issues with voltage drop at the coolers and early shut off of the cooler due to voltage.

Actually, vehicle wiring is the most variable. We've seen power outlets in a particular make/model work just fine and another of the same year/make/model not work at all. To ensure that voltage drop is minimized as much as possible, we recommend one of our hardwire kits, a similar kit by another supplier, or dedicated battery solution to power it.

Even if we ran 8 AWG from our plug to the cooler, the vehicle wiring may not provide provide the power needed to keep from tripping battery protection.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
@Dometic, any chance the control board for the CFX3 could be installed in the CFX95DZ2? Love the unit but the WIFI connectivity is not very useful, having bluetooth for it would top it off.

Sorry, but it's not something we've tried or recommend since it would likely mean a lot of dicey electronics hacking on a unit. :cry:

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Molonlabemike

Wow just getting caught up. So I just ordered a CFX75DZ from blue ridge overland as they were the only ones with this fridge in stock. I am assuming i'll be getting one with a sticker.

I plan to keep this running in my 100 series off a second battery. When the vehicle is parked at home, I planned to connect a shore power outlet that will run to a NOCO charger that will be hard mounted to keep the second battery topped off. Is this going to be an issue?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Wow just getting caught up. So I just ordered a CFX75DZ from blue ridge overland as they were the only ones with this fridge in stock. I am assuming i'll be getting one with a sticker.

I plan to keep this running in my 100 series off a second battery. When the vehicle is parked at home, I planned to connect a shore power outlet that will run to a NOCO charger that will be hard mounted to keep the second battery topped off. Is this going to be an issue?
it will work fine but why would you want to buy something that is defective,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles