The Dirt Lab

1.jpg

We found our 2005 F550 on eBay. The truck had been a Mobile Lab in the oil fields in its former life. It is a F550 Regular cab 4X4 Diesel, 6.0 liter Powerstroke with a newly rebuilt Jasper engine. There is a custom 8’X15’ Box that was used as the Lab. Our vision is to create an overland Camper for our 2014 trip to South America. Our plan is to be out at least a year, but we will not be leaving until after our son graduates college.

• 12 V Refrigerator – looking for input on size
• Propane stove
• On demand water heater
• Compost Toilet
• 2000w Xantrex Inverter (existing)
• Red Dot –Auxiliary Heater 12V R255-0P (existing) The heater connects to the truck cooling system and uses two fans with both a high and low speed setting. I haven’t found a thermostat yet, but logic tells me there must be one. I’m not sure how much this helps us, but we will have the option of using it.
• Tires—still to be decided. The total weight after the build could easily be 16,000 lbs., with 10,000 lbs. plus on the rear axle. I would like to change from DRW to SRW and might be able to run 285/70/19.5. To run this size or larger I will have to modify the rear wheel well openings and perhaps a small lift.
• Suspension-This may be a budget decision. Air Bags might help. Better shocks will be a must especially if a lift is involved.
• Solar-Two 135 w Keyocera panels.
• Batteries-Two Lifeline AGM 210 hr. units.

HTML:

We will be at the Overland Expo this weekend. Please stop by and help us plan our build. When we return we will begin demolition and fabrication of a bump-out over the cab for a cab over sleeping area. We will be in the RV area.

Interior Pictures

HTML:
Code:

View on Google Maps
drivers front.jpg
Here are the interior pictures
We are taking off this morning for the EXPO. We plan to utilize the upper cabinets. The unit also came with a 2000W Xantrex inverter , a Red dot 12v auxiliary heater, water pump, fresh and grey water tanks. We will post more details once we return.

Attachments

• passengers front.jpg
    passengers front.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 235
  • passenger rear.jpg
    passenger rear.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 243
  • drivers rear.jpg
    drivers rear.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 238

tibfibber

Observer
Love it. Like an Ambo build, only better! From the pictures it looks like you don't have to deal with much of the more specialized cabinetry and build that you get with your typical ambo. Planning on doing a passthrough?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
On the fridge I would really recommend a dual door top loading fridge freezer on a slide out drawer.
That would give you max utlity and use of space and also the best cooling option.
Of course National Luna is the cream of the crop and I am sure you will see plenty of options at OX13 this weekend....looking forward to meeting in person.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Did Jasper do some improvements on the engine when they rebuilt it? Like head studs, upgraded egr cooler, and upgraded oil cooler? If not do it before you leave the states.

DzlToy

Explorer
Did Jasper do some improvements on the engine when they rebuilt it? Like head studs, upgraded egr cooler, and upgraded oil cooler? If not do it before you leave the states.

I would be concerned about this... that motor is a raging POS, but the issues are known and "fixable". Whether you leave the states or not, they need to be addressed.... like before you leave your driveway or you may find yourself stranded.

Cool base, looking forward to progress.

I am well aware of the problems with the 6.0 having been bitten by them on my 03 350 at 88K. I would not have chosen this motor but that is what I have and I will make it do. The folks at Jasper were most helpful. The rebuild was done Jan. 2011. They did a standard rebuild--no studs. They gave me the name of the shop that did the R and R. The shop installed a new oil cooler and EGR cooler, both Ford. Ok, it could have been better, but it could have been worse. I plan to upgrade to the Bullet Proof oil and EGR coolers. Since I don't plan to chip it I hope this will be enough to make it live. There were a few minor mechanical problems that I have been sorting out, the largest being the thermostatically controlled cooling fan for the radiator. It was bad. Almost $500 from Ford---ouch! Still trying to figure out how the box is wired. They powered everything from a massive diesel generator which produced 220V power. They then brought the 220 to a circuit breaker box where each 110V leg fed it's own bank of breakers. I fed the box 12VDC to try to determine what went where. I am now past my pay grade and need to get it to the shop that will be helping us with this project. Tomorrow I will have the pleasure of registering this with great state of California. I guess they need the $1,350 more than I do. Well, that's all for now. The cocktail bell has just sounded and I must not be late.
Ed

hansrober

Adventurer
Sorry to hear this. I hope and pray all will be well with you and your family.I too was looking to this build.

bdog1

Adventurer
I realize this isn't a van, but there's a lot of "Ambo" building going on in the van section. You might drop a thread there for prospects.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne