The DeTour Trip Report - As Told by Blackdawg

ITTOG

Great write up and pictures. I am looking at your other trip reports now. Looks like a lot of fun.

Quick question. Would a stock 2018 F150 have been able to make it on this trip. If no, what if it was lifted a few inches.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Great report! I need to find some time to post my 1400 mile trip through nevada, oregon and ID

Thanks for reading!

Yes you do!

Great write up and pictures. I am looking at your other trip reports now. Looks like a lot of fun.

Quick question. Would a stock 2018 F150 have been able to make it on this trip. If no, what if it was lifted a few inches.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for reading! There are a few now so plenty of good reading and photos to gaze at.

Hmm. Well..maybe. Most of it possibly. If your on stock suspension, not offroad aftermarket suspension(not necessarily a lift kit mind you) you're pace in a truck like that will be a LOT slower. There are also a few sections that are very narrow that you wouldn't want to do in a full size like Sunlight. Boulder Basin would be a hell no in a stock any truck. parts of the Kokopelli wouldn't be great, Cisco Wash for instance would be not good in a longer wheel base truck. Everything else though you could do. But Im not sure how long it would take you on stock ford suspension. Im also not super familiar with the truck in terms of ground clearance so you could have some body damage to the rocker panels or other areas too on just about any of the trails with a bigger ledge or something.

I haven't driving a fullsize since my dad got rid of the GMC 3500 long bed 4 door we used to bang around in on lots of these roads but not on the harder ones. And it was not a comfortable ride and took a long time to get places vs what we do now in Tacos.

ITTOG

Hmm. Well..maybe. Most of it possibly. If your on stock suspension, not offroad aftermarket suspension(not necessarily a lift kit mind you) you're pace in a truck like that will be a LOT slower. There are also a few sections that are very narrow that you wouldn't want to do in a full size like Sunlight. Boulder Basin would be a hell no in a stock any truck. parts of the Kokopelli wouldn't be great, Cisco Wash for instance would be not good in a longer wheel base truck. Everything else though you could do. But Im not sure how long it would take you on stock ford suspension. Im also not super familiar with the truck in terms of ground clearance so you could have some body damage to the rocker panels or other areas too on just about any of the trails with a bigger ledge or something.

I haven't driving a fullsize since my dad got rid of the GMC 3500 long bed 4 door we used to bang around in on lots of these roads but not on the harder ones. And it was not a comfortable ride and took a long time to get places vs what we do now in Tacos.

Thanks for the detailed response. I think these have 9 or 10" of clearance so not much. I know some of your pictures had ledges that I think I would drag bottom on. I would love to do a trip like yours but given I am in the Houston area it is a bit far. One of these days (retirement probably) I will get up there though. By then I may have it lifted a little. Thanks again.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Thanks for the detailed response. I think these have 9 or 10" of clearance so not much. I know some of your pictures had ledges that I think I would drag bottom on. I would love to do a trip like yours but given I am in the Houston area it is a bit far. One of these days (retirement probably) I will get up there though. By then I may have it lifted a little. Thanks again.

Ah yeah you will drag on a few spots for sure!

1st gen tacomas are getting cheap! Hell..second gen ones are too now. better aftermarket support for them too. Snag a used one!

ITTOG

Ah yeah you will drag on a few spots for sure!

1st gen tacomas are getting cheap! Hell..second gen ones are too now. better aftermarket support for them too. Snag a used one!

Two vehicles may be the solution. There were a few times you mentioned Mike (I think, red Tacoma) went first because he had diff locks in back and front. Did anyone have a diff lock in the back only and couldn't make it?

I just finished reviewing turbodb's review of the trip. Holy cow you guys had a lot of fun. I hope to do a trip like this so bad and am a bit jealous turbodb got to do it with seasoned pro's. I am sure that was a huge benefit in learning. Not to mention being able to take risks you just can't take alone. Great write up and pictures by both of you. I am looking forward to your next adventures.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Two vehicles may be the solution. There were a few times you mentioned Mike (I think, red Tacoma) went first because he had diff locks in back and front. Did anyone have a diff lock in the back only and couldn't make it?

I just finished reviewing turbodb's review of the trip. Holy cow you guys had a lot of fun. I hope to do a trip like this so bad and am a bit jealous turbodb got to do it with seasoned pro's. I am sure that was a huge benefit in learning. Not to mention being able to take risks you just can't take alone. Great write up and pictures by both of you. I am looking forward to your next adventures.

Dan(turbodb) had a rear locker. I was unlocked. Have been for years. Frankenstein has only had lockers for about 2 years but has only been operational for like 1.5 trips haha

The timing worked out great for Dan and he opening admitted that he would have turned around many times had he done his usual solo style. But he followed and had a blast! His truck then went home..promptly got some 33s, regeared and dual lockers hahahahaha we are a bad influence..

The only spot that was like that though was the Cisco wash. Which if you go back and read my other reports, I've done it the same truck dubbed Igor. The only reason why it was not good this time was it was wet and muddy in the bottom. So conditions play a role. We avoided the more difficult sections in part that Dan was there. But still had a good time and pushed Dan into new comfort zones. Was fun!

It is always great to do it with people you are comfortable with. Dan lucky fit in great with our group. Still does. We've since done 3 other trips with him this year alone.

Thanks for reading! Glad you've enjoyed them. There are links in the last post of the write up to my other adventures if you so desire. The SOS is a classic one and the others are still pretty sweet! Plenty to read and kill hours at work :D

ITTOG

I just finished SOS. All I have left is Alberta Bound and Beyond and M~U~D. Great job with all the write ups.

ITTOG

I forgot to ask if you have a trip report or pictures of when you rolled Frankenstein. I am sure that was a crazy story and trip.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I just finished SOS. All I have left is Alberta Bound and Beyond and M~U~D. Great job with all the write ups.

Thanks!

Impromptu-ah is good too!

I forgot to ask if you have a trip report or pictures of when you rolled Frankenstein. I am sure that was a crazy story and trip.

I don't have a full trip report of that. Was before I was doing that. In my build thread though, which is far to big, its documented. Nothing crazy happened really, wasn't on a hard obstacle or anything.

owyheerat

Adventurer
Finally done!

Way over due and way late!

Have two more to write about now. More to come!

Monte,
Sorry I'm so late to the show. Wow! I just read the whole thing. Great write up as always. I always love reading your trip reports and seeing the AWESOME photos you take. I liked your comment about all (you, Dan and Mike) being 6 year old boys when you were driving thru the mud puddles...haha.
I also appreciate your sense of adventure and willingness to adapt and change plans. I would love to meet you on the trail some day.

Sorry to hear Frankenstein got 'injured'. The LBJ bolts that broke, were they OEM or aftermarket. I'm asking cause I do a fair amount of remote solo trips and I don't carry back up LBJ. Makes me wonder if I need to?

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Durwin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles