The design as we go M-101A1 Trailer build

protohyp

Adventurer
Thank you much for this. I was hoping to avoid a steel structure as well and use a heavier aluminum angle and MDO as well. The M116A3 weighs ~1000 lbs. I plan to swap the HMMWV wheels for super duty wheels for weight reduction. For now, I am keeping the surge brakes and the military axle due to budget constraints. Eventually, I may go with a Dexter axle and electric brakes. My target is to not exceed 2000lbs when fully loaded, even though my diesel Excursion won't complain about that load :)

Yeah. The first thing I had to do with mine was swap axles to dexter just because of the 101A bolt pattern wouldn’t fit the wheels I had.

I don’t think your excursion will know anything is behind it at any rate.

MDO is a great choice for the long run. I wouldn’t think of using anything else. Excited to see what you come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84-4runner

Protohyp
I like your water heater setup. What make and sizes container did you use. Also how many liter per hour is the
water heater and do you find that it is enough capacity or do you feel it needs to be bigger?

protohyp

Adventurer
Protohyp
I like your water heater setup. What make and sizes container did you use. Also how many liter per hour is the
water heater and do you find that it is enough capacity or do you feel it needs to be bigger?

I have most of the water stored on my truck and I’m using 4 LC2 5 gallon gas containers to store my water. I have considered puting onboard storage but since I camp in the snow a lot I have to manage freezing.

I’ve recently found that using Cambro Hot beverage containers will keep the water from freezing even in sub freezing temps so it makes managing water a lot easier.

For me on a week long ski trip I probably use 3-4 gallons for shower and washing dishes for a week long trip. Between me and my gf and drinking water for the dogs 20 gallons will last almost two weeks. We manage our water very carefully and have an extra 10 gallons in shower bag storage on top of the trailer as backup but almost never touch that.

The water pump is 3.2 GPM but our showers are very low water consumption. We just have the method down and it helps us conserve.

84-4runner

It’s the eccotemp L5. Water is external. Not an all in one unit

thanks for the information. I am in the process of setting up running HOT water and info is hard to locate
hopefully one last question. are you using a low pressure or high pressure regulator to supply the water
heater.
thanks

protohyp

Adventurer
thanks for the information. I am in the process of setting up running HOT water and info is hard to locate
hopefully one last question. are you using a low pressure or high pressure regulator to supply the water
heater.
thanks

Everything is regulated by the water heater. The burners turn on when water pressure is sensed so the higher the better or sometimes the burner won’t ignite. I’ve used one D cell battery for the past 7 years to start the ignition.

They have complete sets available on Amazon that include the water heater and water pump. Just look up portable water heater and 12v pump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz