The Dana 50 TTB and getting it under my E350 van.

Grngiant

Adventurer
Ramsey is telling you to look at a quigley setup and copy what they did for the sensors and tone ring. At least that is what I get from his "clues ".

justcuz

Explorer
It appears that mounting it toward the front the sensors wiring would clear the knuckle without machine work. You would just have to make sure it does not get caught up in the spring.
The tone ring has a proper "air gap" from the sensor that can easily be measured from the junkyard parts I presume.
There are pictures online of machined Ford knuckles and spindles using Dana 44 style ABS sensors.
I found them fairly easily. I like your setup better for simplicity's sake.

Anyone who designs and builds suspensions and conversions for his livelihood can not be reasonably expected to give that information away. He has given some clues and you have pictures of the front axle from videos and other sources.
Given that he has posted positive reinforcement for correct approaches and questions and suggestions for possible pitfalls, you are being guided.

I have read some where that the beams inner pivot should line up with the center of the axle in the static position. Wheels and tires mounted, on the ground, at ride height. Is that true? If so then taller suspension would require lowering the beam pivots or moving the lower ball joint outward on the beam to maintain proper camber.

To all of you I say thanks, it is an interesting learning experience!

Last edited:

TBS

Observer
As to swapping crossmembers, that's a negative. Too much work, and I know brackets can be welded to the van's crossmember, in addition to trimming it for clearance.

Sent via flux capacitor

What if there were a pre-fabricated crossmember available with proper clearance and mounting?

Last edited:

philos

Explorer
What if there were a pre-fabricated crossmember available with proper clearance and mounting?

Maybe. I'm not too worried about trimming and fabricating some brackets. Might be more work to remove all those rivets while supporting the motor, etc.

Sent via flux capacitor

martell06

Observer
Ramsey is telling you to look at a quigley setup and copy what they did for the sensors and tone ring. At least that is what I get from his "clues ".

A few clues and pointers are better than nothing. I'd say the old saying "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" applies. He did the hard work of figuring it out, he's under no requirement to give it out. If you want to Cut & Turn a set of Dana 44 beams for a Bronco, nobody that sells them already done is gonna tell you how to do it, let alone help out with clues.

If you've come this far I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Another concern not touched on is that if he tells how to do it, some other idiot follows 'his' directions, they flip their truck because they screwed something up, and he looses his buisness in the legal battle that ensues... Even though he was only trying to help

philos

Explorer
Thanks everyone for keeping the discussion civil. I'm really stoked that everyone is acting so grown-up and actually having debates instead of hurling insults as is too often the case on the interwebs.

...back to measuring...

philos

Explorer
Another concern not touched on is that if he tells how to do it, some other idiot follows 'his' directions, they flip their truck because they screwed something up, and he looses his buisness in the legal battle that ensues... Even though he was only trying to help

good thing I married my attorney... hehe

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
As a novice documenting your build, you've got less to worry about than an 'expert' sharing his expertise.

If someone copies what you did, it's on them, you're not saying it's safe, tried and true or even tested.

I admire your creativity. Perhaps one day, I may even follow... If I ever reach the limits of 2wd and want to go further.

TBS

Observer
Got a line on a 300$ TTB axle, and posted my Dana 60 for sale. Will likely be ordering some fenders from glassworks unlimited as well. Picking up a low mileage 7.3 extended body tomorrow, gonna try and keep the momentum rolling.

philos

Explorer
Got a line on a 300$ TTB axle, and posted my Dana 60 for sale. Will likely be ordering some fenders from glassworks unlimited as well. Picking up a low mileage 7.3 extended body tomorrow, gonna try and keep the momentum rolling.

woot!

philos

Explorer
No real progress at the mo'
I did pick up some Spicer 1350 universal joints.
I also might have a location to do the work at finally; my garage is too short (and full of crap), and my driveway has many angles (foothill livin'!!!). Anyways, a friend of a friend has a machine shop in Ventura I might be able to sublet a corner in. We'll see soon enough.

Sent via flux capacitor

QCAuto

Observer
i like the ttb 50 but they always seem to wear tires and need for frequent rotation of tires. has anyone spliced the frames mid span lol,could work on half and 3/4 ton frames depending if you wanted coils or leafs? i know the vans wider but im sure one could be pulled out and the other in? im watching this build

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles