The Dana 50 TTB and getting it under my E350 van.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Is that a coded way of saying that the tone ring on my van's rotors will work on the Dana 50 TTB rotor? I'm a little slow on the uptake some days... And I still don't have an axle in my grubby paws. Sent via flux capacitor

Most of the 4x4 converters using traditional spindle and wheel bearing hub front axles reuse the tone rings and sensors. They don't just bolt right on though.

philos

Explorer
No, I am not retiring - I did that a few years ago. Agile has been a labor of love and a hobby that grew way beyond what I wanted to do and the reality is I am just holding it back. We have a huge backlog of 4x4 conversions and RIP Kits. We will be making some major changes and announcements in the next month, to include new blood and new products. I'm excited to expand platforms and products... In the mean time, today was an awesome day at the beach and the sunset right this moment is amazing!

New products sound nice and so does new blood... but I'm confused since you told me that you were retiring when I was at your shop. Not trying to bust your balls or be a jerkface, I'm honestly confused on the retirement thing.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
New products sound nice and so does new blood... but I'm confused since you told me that you were retiring when I was at your shop. Not trying to bust your balls or be a jerkface, I'm honestly confused on the retirement thing.

It was either shut it down or find someone else to run it. Not an easy task to find the right person. When you were at the shop, the right person was not available - he is now. We have a lot of details to work out that will take several weeks...

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
And still quite disrespectful to not return phone calls. Enjoy that beach though.

I apologize. We get dozens of phone calls a week and as many or more emails and PM's. It is just me and Glen and he is in the shop full time and can't answer the phone.

My inability to address all requests had me to the point of closing this Hobby Business - I don't like to let people down.

The problem is we have created something special with so many satisfied customers and wonderful possibilities for growth and new ideas - I thrive on that.

I thought I had a great solution that was to be implemented on August 1st, but that didn't work out. Now it looks like the same plan will come to fruition several months later. It won't turn us around on a dime but the future looks great.

In the mean time we are backlogged with 4x4 conversions and RIP Kits. Short of closing, expanding is the only way to go, with more help we will be able to help more people.

Again, I apologize for lack of response.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Pretty sure Ramsey is the furthest thing from disrespectful. No one knows what is going on behind the scenes!! A little compassion and patience goes a long way and I am sure the beach is just the remedy that is called for :)
And still quite disrespectful to not return phone calls. Enjoy that beach though.

philos

Explorer
It was either shut it down or find someone else to run it. Not an easy task to find the right person. When you were at the shop, the right person was not available - he is now. We have a lot of details to work out that will take several weeks...

Well you have my sincere best wishes on the transition and new direction. And I also thank you for taking the time to clarify your situation for a bunch of folks on the internets...

Sent via flux capacitor

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
One of the hardest things in buisness is to 'clone' yourself to expand/manage demand. I hope everything works out with the new arrangement and it's as good a fit as you're hoping.

bcaine

Axle Measures

I know that on other forums, I've run across people looking for measures on the axle in order to do some brainstorming or consider feasibility. Here are some numbers, some just for reference, others for actually planning. If anyone wants any other measurements, I'll do my best. Hopefully this helps in some way.

dana_LR_measures.jpg
open

A - Ball Joint - Ball Joint (center to center): 54 3/8"
B - Pivot Overlap (center of mounting bolt to center of mounting bolt): ~5 1/4"
C - Leaf Spring Centering Holes (center to center): ~38"
D - WMS to WMS: (measured when wheels were welded in place): 69 1/4"

dana_FB_measures.jpg
open

E - Distance between pivots (center to center): ~7"
I took this measure after lining up the axles better than in this image. My line was to run a string lining up near ball joint, then near leaf centering hole, then far leaf centering hole, then far ball joint.

The major change in mounting these brackets is switching the front to back relationships vs 2wd. In other words, 2wd has the passenger arm towards the front with the drivers side arm behind. This must be switched so that the driver's side with the differential is mounted towards the front of the van.

jydog

Thanks for sharing all your hard work on this bcaine. If and when I get mine done I'll be sure to give you credit as the pioneer who shared the process of putting TTB in a van.

cjken

Explorer
I apologize. We get dozens of phone calls a week and as many or more emails and PM's. It is just me and Glen and he is in the shop full time and can't answer the phone.

My inability to address all requests had me to the point of closing this Hobby Business - I don't like to let people down.

The problem is we have created something special with so many satisfied customers and wonderful possibilities for growth and new ideas - I thrive on that.

I thought I had a great solution that was to be implemented on August 1st, but that didn't work out. Now it looks like the same plan will come to fruition several months later. It won't turn us around on a dime but the future looks great.

In the mean time we are backlogged with 4x4 conversions and RIP Kits. Short of closing, expanding is the only way to go, with more help we will be able to help more people.

Again, I apologize for lack of response.

Glad to hear that you have a solution and can keep Agile going and growing!!!
You definitely have something special there! I hope you get the systems in place where the day to day takes care of itself freeing you up to work when you want, dream up new ideas, prototype without stress. I'm excited to see what great things come out of your shop moving forward. I could not have asked for you to be more accommodating when I dropped my van off with you.

philos

Explorer
Thanks for sharing all your hard work on this bcaine. If and when I get mine done I'll be sure to give you credit as the pioneer who shared the process of putting TTB in a van.

+1

Those are great to have! Thanks for taking the time to not only measure, but to make up some graphics to illustrate!!!
It looks like an axle from an 80s donor may be falling into my lap with a little luck. Should know within a few days or so. Wrong ratio, but I can deal with that.

Sent via flux capacitor

philos

Explorer
Friend of a friend of a friend had this in their yard. Came off a couple weeks ago from an 84 or 85 F350. Had leafs attached and was complete down to the lug nuts when I picked it up. Had to break it down to load up.
Cost me way under a Benjamin. Way under. Also came with a driveshaft and some random NOS brake bits that may or may not belong to this axle. Time will tell.

It's got 3.54 gears according to the axle tag. I'll hunt for a 4.10 center section whilst I continue to save my pennies for the rest of my parts, etc.

Sent via flux capacitor
6a5531aff79233ade6e7db2a968c5a6e.jpg

5b09356d62fc22f85317e4b6c8adeca1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste