The Dana 50 TTB and getting it under my E350 van.

dingus

Observer
My IFS 4x4 E 350 1995 van with Turbo PSD is done with a IFS F 250 around 1990s front end but its a pro job by cylsdale 4x4 van builders in Kamloops B.C.
I been looking at how its done. the IFS is leaf but they converted it to Coils. they do great work the van drives on the HWY like a regular van at 60 MPH corners great and I have extra lift on mine to. No death wobble ever even after hitting ruts at like 80 MPH on the Hwy so im impressed with there builds.
I don't see why a Dana 50 wouldn't work from brake backing plate to backing plate is 60.5 inchs aprox .
ive talked to wreckers and they said theres no difference except the D 50 has bigger axles .

Last edited:

philos

Explorer
My IFS 4x4 E 350 1995 van with Turbo PSD is done with a IFS F 250 around 1990s front end but its a pro job by cylsdale 4x4 van builders in Kamloops B.C.

Assuming you don't have 4 wheel ABS being a 95, but it's possible. Does your van have working antilock brakes at all four wheels? Some pics would be welcomed.

It's already been established that the leaf sprung D50 works great converted to coils. I'm after details :)

Sent via flux capacitor

justcuz

Explorer
Check out the "Clydesdale Ultimate Independent Build" dated 1-21-2010 in this forum. This build was done with F-250 Dana 44 beams, but it gives you some bracket pictures.

I'll see what else I can find, to help out.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Assuming you don't have 4 wheel ABS being a 95, but it's possible. Does your van have working antilock brakes at all four wheels? Some pics would be welcomed.

It's already been established that the leaf sprung D50 works great converted to coils. I'm after details :)

Sent via flux capacitor

'94 E and F series should be rear abs only.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Check out the "Clydesdale Ultimate Independent Build" dated 1-21-2010 in this forum. This build was done with F-250 Dana 44 beams, but it gives you some bracket pictures...
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

dingus

Observer

Sent via flux capacitor

Yes its 4 wheel ABS in that recent pictures posted mine is similar but older I have one of the early conversions . the bracket welded to the cross member at the front looks the same as mine my radius arms are not fancy like them red ones but there lowered.
the Back TTB bracket is bolted to my cross member. we got wet snow here now so im not laying in the wet snow takeing pics but once the snow is gone I will get some pics of my IFS Clydesdale set up.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
This seems appropriate for the current discussion.
I was in Hilo Hawaii last weekend and stayed at http://www.arnottslodge.com/ I also took an "adventure tour" to the top of Mauna Kea.
They had seven vans of different conversion types, couple Quadvans, couple Advanced, couple Clydesdales and a Quigley.
Here are 4 of them, the Quigley and 2 other were in back.
1zbazgm.jpg

The early body style in the middle that looks like a stock height van next to the others is the one that caught my eye.
Its a Clydesdale with I'm assuming is a Dana 50 TTB with OEM radius arms.
I rode in the newer body style on the right which was a Quadvan with the later Ford radius arm/coil conversion. I was impressed with the ride. Very supple at a lower ride height by comparison to my 4" leaf sprung van. I rode (passenger seat) in this van over 100 miles, city, highway, hill climb, up and down steep washboard dirt/gravel, etc.
When I inquired to the driver questions about the vans conversions he told me that their "mechanic converted them all", so I stopped. :)

vwvaq1.jpg

211kins.jpg

1pt6hy.jpg

Last edited:

dingus

Observer
Yes that's the exact same as my Clydesdale TTB E 350 PSD conversion van underneath except mines lifted more than that ^ van there.
but the brackets are the exact same!
Funny my van had Maui 4x4 decals on the original doors (mine now has 2003 power doors) and my van was done by Clydesdale in Kamloops B.C when it was new. then it went to a logging company on Vancouver island. I don't think it ever went to Hawaii

philos

Explorer
Woot!
Brian94ht - Thanks for going through all that effort just to grab a couple pics! That's serious dedication to miss vacation minutes climbing around under a van!

Dingus - your van looks great with that bumper! Nice height as well.

Sent via flux capacitor

philos

Explorer
Also, sent an email to Clydesdale about making the ABS work; they happily replied with instructions for how they do it along with the air gap measurement (1/16"). I'll transcribe it over the next couple days, but I was on the right track with machining a hole in the knuckle for the sensor.
I'll be sending him a little thank you in the mail.

Sent via flux capacitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior