The Dana 50 TTB and getting it under my E350 van.

bcaine

It's got 3.54 gears according to the axle tag. I'll hunt for a 4.10 center section whilst I continue to save my pennies for the rest of my parts, etc.

My d50 is 4.10, and I was thinking my rear was 3.54. (I have a '96 with the 460). It seems our budgets and timeframes are similar. PM is you want to try to work out a parts swap. I have no idea the condition. My axle was out to a '97 f250.

philos

Explorer
My d50 is 4.10, and I was thinking my rear was 3.54. (I have a '96 with the 460). It seems our budgets and timeframes are similar. PM is you want to try to work out a parts swap. I have no idea the condition. My axle was out to a '97 f250.

PM sent :)

justcuz

Explorer
Other applications for retaining ABS have machined the back of the hub to reuse the factory tone rings. Now that you have an axle setup it would be worth measuring to see how much work it would be. I am going to watch this closely since it will relate to a future project I want to do that is very similar.

I want to do a Dana 50 TTB conversion on a 2wd Excursion!

philos

Explorer
Other applications for retaining ABS have machined the back of the hub to reuse the factory tone rings. Now that you have an axle setup it would be worth measuring to see how much work it would be. I am going to watch this closely since it will relate to a future project I want to do that is very similar.

I want to do a Dana 50 TTB conversion on a 2wd Excursion!

Already on it thanks to Ramsey's earlier suggestion of using the stuff that I already had ;)
This is just dropped on, but a few turns on a lathe should do that part. Now I'll have to grab some abs sensors and see where they might likely reside on the knuckle, then get the spacing correct before it gets machined.
de55a1accf369c23dc011b99dc8230c0.jpg

Sent via flux capacitor

philos

Explorer
Had easy access to an ABS sensor at the junkyard today, $5 for an important part of figuring out my ABS system with this axle.
This sensor is from an earlier year than mine, and I can't recall what mine looked liked on the end. But, for a $5 part I'm going to hack up as a trial it works for now.
I cut the back half of the sensor off, and opened up two of the mounting holes to 1/2". I didn't measure anything. It drops right on the Dana 50 TTB spindle, and clears the rotor, as well as the tone ring I tapped on the TTB rotor.
593c685f73262233c76e56e9ff959288.jpg

5cd5d5650ad733b67dbfc6017e3be575.jpg

d1b78328dbf8f9f6ec9701aeab4ebb5e.jpg

It also fits over the front part of the knuckle/spindle. Same clearance etc. I failed to take a pic of the front...
clearly, I'll need to measure things and do a mockup on an extra van rotor/spindle/knuckle. But I feel it's a step on the right path.
I'm a bit concerned that I'd be removing too much material from the back of the knuckle. The front has more metal/area, but is close to the steering stuff. Dilemmas.

Sent via flux capacitor

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Any idea how far from the side of the spindle that needs to be or where on the hub the tone ring needs to go or what the gap needs to be?

Had easy access to an ABS sensor at the junkyard today, $5 for an important part of figuring out my ABS system with this axle.
I didn't measure anything. It drops right on the Dana 50 TTB spindle, and clears the rotor, as well as the tone ring I tapped on the TTB rotor.
593c685f73262233c76e56e9ff959288.jpg

It also fits over the front part of the knuckle/spindle. Same clearance etc. I failed to take a pic of the front...
clearly, I'll need to measure things and do a mockup on an extra van rotor/spindle/knuckle. But I feel it's a step on the right path.
I'm a bit concerned that I'd be removing too much material from the back of the knuckle. The front has more metal/area, but is close to the steering stuff. Dilemmas.

Sent via flux capacitor

philos

Explorer
Any idea how far from the side of the spindle that needs to be or where on the hub the tone ring needs to go or what the gap needs to be?

I was curious to see where it would fit... looks a bit better towards the front from more looking at it, but what do I know?
I'll still need to mock up one of my extra spindles and rotors to get dimensions/measurements from the stock setup to try and mimic that on the TTB stuff.

So, no I don't have an idea quite yet...

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
I was curious to see where it would fit... looks a bit better towards the front from more looking at it, but what do I know?
I'll still need to mock up one of my extra spindles and rotors to get dimensions/measurements from the stock setup to try and mimic that on the TTB stuff.

So, no I don't have an idea quite yet...

You will have some machine work to do on a mill with that approach. Quigley does it a little different. Either way placement is critical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles