The CrowsWing - Offroad Teardrop Trailer

Papa

Observer
As I have posted before - an impressive build by a couple who obviously have it together. One aspect that really impresses me is how much you have accomplished and the way you collaborate with each other. One of my favorite reads this winter.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
A work of art, a build of love. Simply amazing Jim. You have a keeper in trailer and obviously your better half. Lucky man to have so much in common. I enjoy the build, but it is neat in this day and age to see a couple working so hard on a project for both of them. This is by far my favorite build to follow. Your desgin, attention to detail is simply fantastic. Thank you and Beth for sharing this project with us. We all have learned something from the two of you.

jim65wagon

Thanks again for the compliments guys! The build is fun and with the two of us it's easy to bounce ideas (the design stage) back and forth and come up with solutions to problems we find. It also allows us each to work to our strengths and hopefully it will result in a beautiful and sturdy rolling work of art. That's the goal at least - build the best teardrop we can to suit our needs.

skersfan said:
A work of art, a build of love. Simply amazing Jim. You have a keeper in trailer and obviously your better half. Lucky man to have so much in common. I enjoy the build, but it is neat in this day and age to see a couple working so hard on a project for both of them. This is by far my favorite build to follow. Your desgin, attention to detail is simply fantastic. Thank you and Beth for sharing this project with us. We all have learned something from the two of you​
High praise coming from someone who just built one of the most well built and thought out off road trailers I've seen. Thank you!

jim65wagon

After the awnings were finished, and all the staining and varnishing dried (and sanded and dried and sanded and dried , ugh!) it was time to install some hardware! This should make at least some of the fancy pretty things we paid for (or made) come together as a unit and actually look like something!
We started out by pulling the kitchen framework from the tear and setting on a workbench for accessibilty
Then we carefully measured and installed the drawer slides into and onto their matching cupboard and drawer.
Sugatsune drawer slides...these hold 70 lbs and are full extension. They have others will will hold more weight....a lot more weight.

6790770298_69e48d71f6.jpg

This is me singing the drawer slide song. Lots of slides, small screws, hard to reach places, and the stress of perfection leads me to break out into song.
6790771272_d71417d5c5.jpg

Here you can easily see all the drawers installed. All the slides a full pull slides, so we can reach the backs of the drawers easily. In case you don't remember, the drawer with the cutout is for the Camp Chef Oven/Stove combo
6936891181_e0b42dc5ac.jpg

Drawers pre-door look. I like the look without the doors and we actually talked about leaving them this way.
6790774182_f1eb531fcd.jpg

In the end we decided to put the doors on (the money was already spent and they're a no-return item), so the doors and handles got installed
6790777104_06ac8ecfa6.jpg

Then we set the cabinet back in the teardrop.
6936894087_43d1aca795.jpg

The last thing we did that weekend (2 weeks ago?) was install the doors for the plumbing access (will be partially hidden by the mattress) and the electrical chase.
6936896015_ca406ebfcf.jpg

That's all for this update. I've got one more to cover this past weekend, hopefully I can get it posted before next weekend!

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
6936894087_43d1aca795.jpg

Now this is looking like something finished. Very nice work, loving the dovetail details on all the drawers. This trailer is built to last.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
This is not a trailer, it should be Expedition Portals entry into the next great art festival. Beyond compare.

jim65wagon

See, I told you that you should have had Tango sign the confidentiality clause before we let him into the Crowswing LTD. facilities. Here's hoping he didn't have any concealed cameras about him.
I know, I know, you warned me. I may be able to get TacoDoc to do something with him during the "Basket of Cobras" event.....
Since the cat is unbagged:
6942164351_b52b8661c9.jpg

3M makes some of the finest hardware money can buy. Paint over it in a color of your choice, and if it breaks, it covered by their lifetime "You can replace it yourself" warranty. Thanks 3M!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
See, I told you that you should have had Tango sign the confidentiality clause before we let him into the Crowswing LTD. facilities. Here's hoping he didn't have any concealed cameras about him.

Yeah, you probably thought the 3 strip searches would have been sufficient, but that was where you made your first mistake.

Despite the daunting security of the Crowswing LTD assembly facility and crack security force (I had access to the shop floor and the design facilities), I'm able to provide these spy shots for your review.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use a camera, but they didn't plan on the fact that I have an eidetitic memory. Buwahaha...

Prepare to be amazed by the images Crowswing LTD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SEE!

trailer.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94