The Critical (constructive) Feedback Wanted on Videos Thread

lgrt

Adventurer
Help wanted!

The genre of overland adventure films (videos) is different then most other genres. Part documentary, part entertainment, part who knows what... and there are not a lot places to get constructive feedback as all of us try to hone our craft (hobby) of sharing with the world what we love about overlanding and the trips we take.

I wanted to start a thread where we could ask for constructive feedback. The idea is to be able to ask real overlanders to give critical (constructive) feedback on a video you are working on or just finished to find out what is working, what is not working, and what you might want to improve for this or your next video. Sometimes you might want general feedback other times you might be experimenting and want feedback on a specific item such as:
  • Story telling
  • Editing
  • Dialog
  • Sound quality
  • Cinematography
  • Drone shot integration
  • Time laps usage
  • Wow factor
  • Any thing and everything...

While everyone here is not a critically acclaimed film maker... Everyone here is most likely our intended audience and can relate to the subject matter better than most... and each person here knows what they like and what doesn't hold their interest. So lets Give It A Shot... so to speak. And I'll go first.

----------------------------------

I have been working to improve on my story telling with videos. I've been trying to stitch together an engaging video that has a beginning, middle and end about the trips we take, without making it a chronological travel log. I'm hoping to make the audience feel apart of the story or as if they are on the trip. I thought the video below was one of my better attempts (so far) but it did not get the response I was hoping for.

Please let me know where you think the story falls short.
  • Did it jump around too much?
  • Was it missing details?
  • Too many details?
  • Were there parts of the story that could have moved along faster or slowed down?
  • Did you feel the story was able to build tension?
  • Was is able to get your attention or you would have stopped watching after the first 30 seconds moving on to cat videos as a more interesting choice?
  • Did you identify with the main character?
  • Did you feel there even was a cohesive story or was it just a series of events?

I know, be careful of what you ask for... but I do want critical input so that I can improve the next video. Feel free to provide input on other aspects of video if you want...

lgrt

Adventurer
Don't take the above too personally.

Not taking it personally at all... that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you for that very thorough, thoughtful, concise and respectful criticism of the video. It helps!

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
eatSleepWoof, terrific response. I agree with it, all of it, except that I love watching these kinds of videos...as a complement to a good trip report thread, not in lieu of it.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
eatSleepWoof, terrific response. I agree with it, all of it, except that I love watching these kinds of videos...as a complement to a good trip report thread, not in lieu of it.

Wholeheartedly agree. That was a great concise review. Remind me not to ask you to look at one of mine :)

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Oh boy I love to nitpick videos. I even like to pick on bigger budget stuff like MSO and XO. I'll try not to be as bad as the CinemaSins dude. Never seen anything from you before, so fresh opinion and I don't know what your other videos hold, just based on the one you posted.

It was pretty good, much better than anything I ever do piddling, but as a viewer here are my thoughts. eatSleepWoof nailed it so I'll try not to rehash anything he commented on too much.

Too much "you." You are cool, you pull off being in the frame so no problem there. Getting in front of the camera is somewhere I just can't seem to go so I respect it. But how about more truck and scenery between shots of "you" though. You can tell the story but don't forget when I click on the video, I'm really there to see the trip.

Do you watch Mark Dorian? Mark mostly narrates and you occasionally see him but not often, he loads the video up with photography. That's his style and I do like it, but it's not as personal. You have the getting in front of the camera thing going for you, I think you can use that a bit more efficiently. Don't avoid shots of you, but when you do use them make the most of it. Mark leans on too much photography and you lean too much to talking shots, there is a happy middle in there somewhere I bet you could find and come out with a unique feel.

I do realize you probably took what you had and pieced it together once you were editing, it's hard to get on the move shots because you are busy moving, and scenery shots eat time.

I'm going to agree on the jokes, you can pull off one every now and then and it's funny but those were way on the cheesy side and too many close together. You get dangerously close to random dude goofing off territory. If you are in the shot be doing something or showing something. Like the tire chain shot, totally cool seeing you bringing out the chains + remarks, also the shot where you explain the snow drift and scouting it on foot.

I don't care for talking head shots (and you had one way too close up, don't worry you're not alone, MSO was real bad about that and got over it.) I also didn't care for the waking up scene and following. Seeing your sleeping setup was fine, commentary on that was fine, but I didn't buy for one second you were waking up and talking to the camera like the viewer was trying to wake you up, or any of the other responding to the imaginary viewer stuff. You can't pull a 4th wall break when you didn't have a 4th wall to begin with. Addressing the viewer is fine to tell us what's going on, but I'm not there and I know I'm not there.

One final note is don't get sucked into the "Overlanding" "Adventuring" cliche junk going on now. You are oozing with it, it's not really something I can explain, more of a vibe. I know you have to at some level so people can find your videos, but just keep it in the back of your mind not to go too far down the rabbit hole and keep it real so more people find the content inviting. And it is hard to attract the right viewer while not being too cliche at the same time.

And I only nitpick because you asked for it (I only volunteer it when I'm feeling kinda ornery) take my 2 cents at face value and do with it as you see fit. I know I don't usually reflect the majority opinion, and the majority drives views. I sub'd and will watch some more of your stuff when I have time.

lgrt

Adventurer
And I only nitpick because you asked for it

I did ask and your insights are what I was hoping I would get. Thank you for taking the time to provide your perspective in a clear and understandable way that I can use in future videos.

Last edited:
Well this is an area I hope to re-explore and rekindle what was lost. I've been out of the media field since high school due to a back injury. But with today's lighter cameras and our new tablet, I'm hoping to rekindle what was lost.. Using new or free programs with an out dated system, I'm hoping to create a few videos myself. I think one thing that helps anyone tell the story, is to don't be afraid to take too many shots while exploring. Often I find myself having to use a couple of stills to fill the gaps during a mounted car camera scene, which doesn't offer much in the way of imaging. But then again, if the camera/mount was tethered or could be moved, the camera's movement would be hindered or look robotic. This is why we're hoping to invest in a GoPro karma system. Defiantly allow for multiple angles, mixed with stills or time laps and music. Let's not forget, friends, family or others that happen to be tagging a lot. Gain their perspective and images for a different approach. Sort of like Globetrekker.. they mix digital images and videos with super8 images for a raw or rustic appearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles