The Coveted '85 Toyota

4hilux

Observer
Hmmm, theres a tricky question.........

IMHO, ya can't really compare the 2 - they are differant classes of vehicle. A Cruiser is only really restricted by its physical size & weight, yet its those 2 very things that help give it its strenghts in other areas. Cruiser is definitely more comfortable than a early 4Runner, part of which comes from the extra weight making the suspension work better.

Compare Hilux / 4Runner to rest in ITS class - they eat anything else, no worries.

Same with Cruiser against most other full-size S.U.Vs.......

Yet, in some situations, the Lux / runner will 'outdo' a Cruiser, & vice-versa, depending on exactly what you are asking / expecting from each at the time.

Worst problem here, is people buy Hiluxs to do the job / heavy duty work that a Landcruiser should be used for. they will do it for a fair while, but sooner or later, ya pay for it in maintance costs. A new Hilux worked really hard most of the time, is starting to feel it after 5 yrs - Cruisers will thrive on the same stuff longer than 10 yrs with few hassles..........

Scott Brady

Founder
Do it for the LOVE!

Sometimes, you just need to buy and drive the rig you like.

That is probably why I have never owned an FZJ80. It is really the perfect wagon, if you look at the reliability, performance, specs, etc., but it just doesn't do it for me. I have thought of a way to build one that would turn me on, but it is for another time.

The vehicles I really love are:

1. 78 series crew cab
2. 130 Defender Crew Cab
3. Disco I, 300TDI, 5-Speed with no ABS or Air Bags
4. Nissan Patrol (mid 2000 models)
5. 1985 PU and 4Runner
6. 1976-1983 FJ40
7. LR 109 Series PU
8. G Wagon w/ 280 diesel
9. AEV Brute
10. ER XV-LT with the Continentals. I could live in it and pull one of the above behind it :)

And while I am at it:

1. KTM 950 Adventure
2. BMW GSA
3. KLR650

I would love to build an old BMW and put on some leather panniers and wear a ************ Barbour motorcycle jacket.
14YLF8PB.jpg

Of the modern vehicles, the US models I like are the 4Runner and Unlimited Rubicons. No real love there, but I really appreciate them.

tacollie

Glamper
expeditionswest said:
Sometimes, you just need to buy and drive the rig you like.

That is probably why I have never owned an FZJ80. It is really the perfect wagon, if you look at the reliability, performance, specs, etc., but it just doesn't do it for me. I have thought of a way to build one that would turn me on, but it is for another time.

I here that, thats why I ended up with a 55. Also why I can't decide if I should keep my taco or not. It does everything it needs to but just doesn't do anything for me.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I love the character of the older cruisers and Toyota pickups.... But... for having to use a vehicle day in and day out or having to live out of one on an extended trip, the comforts of a coil sprung 80 series, or the even smoother 100 series wins hands down. Character goes a long ways but when it comes down to it the thing I care about most is functionality and part of that functionality is a liveable level of comfort for long hours behind the wheel. Not bagging on any vehicle and I loved my FJ60 to death, but I'm finding myself not as concerned about what is the coolest thing anymore, just the one that works best for me.

Now with that said, there is a pretty nice '85 4runner on ebay right now that is major eye candy. Its screaming for an ExPo'er to give it a good home!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Oh, and Scott's list is begging for a thread of its own. I don't think we've had a "list the vehicles you love" type thread in some time. :D

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Uh, 85 Toyota 4x4 pickup in ExPo white?

You mean, like this one:

85TOY.jpg

Yeah, it's me. Photo taken in November of 85 near Green Mountain Reservoir in Colorado.

Less than a year later I rolled the truck and it was totalled.

Underpowered, rode like a buckboard and could only go 10-15 mph on washboard roads thanks to the SAS.

Have to be honest - the only thing I miss about my 85 was the MPG. And considering that the best MPG I ever got was maybe 26 or 27, I think I'd be willing to trade 5 or 6 mpg for: 6 cylinders, air conditioning, IFS, an extended cab, a bed that doesn't turn to swiss cheese from rust, cloth seats, a decent stereo, more leg, head and hip room...

22yearslater.jpg

22 years later (Dec '07.)

IMO the "good old days" weren't all that good. :sombrero:

Last edited:

4hilux

Observer
Gee Scott, that list of yours makes it look like (deep down....) ya have a real Landrover fetish going on..........(as you said, each to their own...).

Re crew cab 78 - you realise thats a aftermarket conversion - Toyota have always resisted making what the market wants when it comes to that model.......

AEV Brute - thats got potential - (whens Jeep going to make a diesel ute version of a Wrangler??) Although personally, I've always found Jeep & Landrover product to be a bit 'fragile' in the past.....especially if worked hard. (Exception to that would be the Jeep J20 I had.)

highlux

Observer
Check out this 1984 XtraCab Turbo Diesel. Just a little too far away, and needs a paint job badly.
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=33235364&pgno=1&srt=1

4hilux said:
1985 model might be the 'one' for you guys, but for myself, I'm keen on the 1990-97 LN 106 model Hilux we got - 2.8 diesel, with solid front end. Not powerfull, but go ok, & are very very capable off-road with even only a few small amount of mods. Simple to work on, & also reliable - (I sold one @ 420kms, which was still going well..........)

I second the LN106 vote.....kinda biased I know. They are small trucks, but that's kinda why I like 'em so much. Very easy to work on like 4hilux says. Really needs a turbo though, and alot better seats. (coming soon) :)

Last edited:

4hilux

Observer
Cool unit - could be a cousin to mine, bar your tyres being a bit bigger - ripped the bench seat outa mine, & put in top spec Surf seats (ex LN 130). Changed all the instrument cluster too, so now has factory gauge for oil pressure, instead of a stupid red light.........:)

Might have to figure out how to load some photos of mine.........

I'm away now for a week - catch ya when I get back......

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
highlux said:
Check out this 1984 XtraCab Turbo Diesel. Just a little too far away, and needs a paint job badly.
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=33235364&pgno=1&srt=1

I second the LN106 vote.....kinda biased I know. They are small trucks, but that's kinda why I like 'em so much. Very easy to work on like 4hilux says. Really needs a turbo though, and alot better seats. (coming soon) :)

Wow, that is one awsome looking Lux you've got there, we need more pics and a detailed build thread stat... ;)

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier