The Cool Bus....

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Actually 20 of them. I'm in the process of converting 20 new IH custom built buses to 4WD. They are to be transporting work crews all over North America. The conversion kits are from Marmon Herrington, all transfer case functions are electric over air and work very smoothly. I wish my kids rode in these buses, they are equipped with seat belts.

Attachments

• IMAGE001.JPG
    IMAGE001.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMAGE002.JPG
    IMAGE002.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMAGE003.JPG
    IMAGE003.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 127

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Actually, while staying at the Outer Banks NC last month, we were up in the 4WD Only portion of the beaches - there are no paved public roads for the communities of North Swan Beach and Carova Beach. School was in session and we observed a school bus with just about the identical suspension setup on it as the ones posted by Jeep, except that theirs was running on what looked like 35" tires. Talk about a cool ride to school! Wish I had gotten a pic....

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
These are for seismic crews, not really off roading but using them on primitive and unmaintained roads. Several companies are going this route for safety and productivity reasons, much safer to have a reasonably fresh bus driver doing the driving than tired workers driving much faster Excursions/Suburbans full of tired people.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's not unusual to see converted 4wd school buses in rural parts of CO.

The "short bus" version would make a great off road camper although of course it's not like you could take it on a really gnarly trail. But you could take it to Yellowstone in October and not have to worry too much about a sudden snowstorm either which would be kind of nice.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I've seen a couple of the short 4x4 school buses come up on eBay.

If you're looking for something in that class, 4x4 ambulances seem to be a little more common on daBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles