The Contraption - a M101A3 Build

campnfamily

Not sure what the etiquette is, but since we purchased the "contraption" a bit back, it seemed like it might make sense to continue its history on this thread. If that isn't appropriate, just let me know!

My family drove down to LA to buy the M101A3 "contraption" and bring it up to its new home in the Bay Area last summer. Since then we've been working on it a bit to make it ours and enjoying it on various trips in CA and Oregon! We are a family of 4 (two young kids) and a large lab - so learning we could store the RTT with the Annex installed was key (thanks to the posts here)! We added a pull out kitchen, auto retract straps to hold kayaks under the RTT and adapted the trailer to fit a Bak Revolver tonneau cover so that we can open it from both sides (my favorite) and lock it, as well as an updated mount for the tongue wheel!!

Things we'd still like to do (although as I've read others posts I'm sure this will morph over time and with use : ):
1. plug upgrade - the cigarette lighter plug for the costco fridge just keeps falling out.....need something that screws in place (suggestions welcome)!
2. onboard water tank & filtration system (not looking to pull from streams, but don't trust water in a tank I can't clean : ).....possibly a water heater, but not sure it's worth all the extra overhead
3. maybe a diesel heater setup to extend our camping season
4. solar for the trailer and potentially for the truck if it's easy (already had the coolers die and the trailer is solar ready, but need a controller & panels I believe - definitely something I know nothing about : )
5. for our truck / backpack - some better method of communication when we're remote and cell doesn't work in case of emergency

That's all for now!
(pics to follow)

Last edited:

campnfamily

Didn't realize there was a photo cap.....

Build Pics:

New Tonneau Cover (to be lockable).....wasn't a perfect fit width wise (tapered in at the back, but just made the adapter rails match). Also added brackets / flush mount combo locks on the front.....they are awesome! IMG_9459.jpg

IMG_9698.jpg

Finished welding / cleaning and had the new rails bed liner coated......and the cover still fit!!
IMG_9847.jpgIMG_9877.jpg

Then added Combi Cam locks on the front with some tabs inside so the cover can be lockable! (sorry for the night pics: )
IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg

New mount for front tongue wheel (can see installed in pic below).....in case you're wondering, the vertical hitch receiver was my hubby's idea for possible additions of TBD accessories (no clue : )
64461925249__436DED79-0B01-4EDF-ACBB-AC7343BD9176.jpg

Finished product (for now : )!
IMG_9904.jpg

Last edited:

campnfamily

Kitchen Planning / build with galvanized steel box we got off craigslist - added built in shelves & home built legs from telescoping supports.....also added a latching mechanism that allows it to pull out and not need legs for quick access!IMG_7897.jpg

First round.....(legs weren't long enough : )....and the PVC is a bit hokey, but it works! Also have the same mounts for the other side so the full kitchen can be pulled all the way out and set up separately of the trailer if it doesn't work in this configuration.....so far we haven't needed the option, but good just in case!
IMG_9477.jpg

Updated Kitchen.....added latches....ramp is for the door to open properly with metal guide to keep it aligned....
IMG_0177.jpg

Added pull out locking mechanism so legs aren't required for quick access (will still put legs on for long term camping and with kids / dog around : ).....
IMG_0178.jpg

Horizontal pin engages with block when pulled out, vertical pin was added to prevent rotational motion and disengagement of the horizontal pin / dropping of the kitchen!!
IMG_0182.jpg

Updated shelf arrangement....holds everything we need!
IMG_0180.jpg

Last edited:

KellyM

Adventurer
Kitchen Planning / build with galvanized steel box we got off craigslist - added built in shelves & home built legs from telescoping supports.....also added a latching mechanism that allows it to pull out and not need legs for quick access!View attachment 677243

First round.....(legs weren't long enough : )....and the PVC is a bit hokey, but it works! Also have the same mounts for the other side so the full kitchen can be pulled all the way out and set up separately of the trailer if it doesn't work in this configuration.....so far we haven't needed the option, but good just in case!
View attachment 677244

Updated Kitchen.....added latches....ramp is for the door to open properly with metal guide to keep it aligned....
View attachment 677246

Added pull out locking mechanism so legs aren't required for quick access (will still put legs on for long term camping and with kids / dog around : ).....
View attachment 677247

Horizontal pin engages with block when pulled out, vertical pin was added to prevent rotational motion and disengagement of the horizontal pin / dropping of the kitchen!!
View attachment 677249

Updated shelf arrangement....holds everything we need!
View attachment 677251
Nice work! It looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94