The Contraption - a M101A3 Build

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
That's a nice Jeep setup too. Have a friend that has the exact top. There was a big group here locally that went out last weekend and we missed due to a prior commitment. I was upset.... :)

I am picking up a bunch of steel today to start on a temporary rack to get us in the game. Eventually will want to do one that telescopes too.

KellyM

Adventurer
Was the 7 pin wiring harness on the JK a plug and play type? If so, what did you go with?

I used the Mopar 7 way round trailer connector wiring harness that is made specific for the JK. It is plug and play for lights and has heat shielding in all the necessary spots along the run under the Jeep to the battery. The P3 controller did not have a JK plug and play option, so it was plug on the controller end and plain wire on the other end. I needed help on that part.

KellyM

Adventurer
Got my new axle

My wheel spacers showed up, and I finally was able to pick up my new axle from the FedEx freight yard. Unfortunately, the axle came without the parking brake option I ordered unless Dexter no longer puts the brake lever/flange on for a parking brake. I will be talking to Nuera Trailer Parts tomorrow. I am thinking of skipping the parking brake and relying on chocks since I have stabilizer jacks on all four corners. Disappointing nonetheless.

2IMG_1041.jpg

If it doesn't rain all weekend, I should have the new axle with the matching wheels and tires installed this weekend. Anyone need a 74" Dexter 5200lb 4"drop axle with electric brakes and the parking brake option?

I am thinking of scrapping the existing rack all together and building a smaller lighter rack. Since it will be telescoping, I won't need to climb onto the rack to uncover and setup/take down the RTT. Here is another picture of the existing rack. It is a well built rack and very sturdy, but is too high (with the new axle and new tires and wheels, the trailer should be 4-5 inches taller), heavy looking and the uprights are rectangular steel, so I would have to replace them or significantly rework them anyway to get something that telescopes.

2IMG_1011.jpg

Recommendations?

Last edited:

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
If you were a bit closer I'd probably take you up on the axle but will likely go with a Flexiride Torsion axle since I'm going to have to pay shipping anyway. It's the same axle that Turtleback Trailers use and very reasonably priced.

wADVr

Adventurer
Good timing, another M101A3 build being towed with a JKU. Maybe I missed it but what axle/WMS width are you looking for? I assume not matching the JK due to the A3's 55.5" wheel well width. I have been contemplating cutting and pushing the wheel wells in for a 49" width to allow for the JK width.

Nice work so far, will follow along for ideas!

KellyM

Adventurer
Good timing, another M101A3 build being towed with a JKU. Maybe I missed it but what axle/WMS width are you looking for? I assume not matching the JK due to the A3's 55.5" wheel well width. I have been contemplating cutting and pushing the wheel wells in for a 49" width to allow for the JK width.

Nice work so far, will follow along for ideas!

Axle HF to HF is 69" 2" spacers. 315/70/17 tires. The tires should be just inside the fenders. I don't mind the slighter wider stance. Cutting the fenders to 49" apart might be the best of both worlds -- room to lay full sheet material flat and close to JKU track.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
JKU wms to wms is right at 65.5" I am looking at a 61" axle, 2 inch wheel spacers on each side to to clear the trailer hubs get to 65". Close enough for me.

RogueWon

Sub'd! You guys are all giving me too many ideas ... If I can score a rig, I can totally see two or three years of my life evaporating... Outpost/Kelly - Looking for a good, used RTT as well - prolly be be interested in either of yours - Outpost? What did you end up with for the VG?

KellyM

Adventurer
Update

Well, it has been awhile since I did an update, and a lot has happened. Not only did my axle come without the parking brake, but it came with two different hubs - one 5x5 and one 5x4.5. Dexter was great and sent a whole new axle with everything correct. I got it installed with the spacers on with the help of a friend.
IMG_1052.jpg2.jpg
IMG_1053.jpg2.jpg
Unfortunately, one of the spacer wheel studs was stripped, so off came the new axle and spacer. More delay waiting for the replacement stud. By the time I got a replacement, work got in the way and it was a few more weeks until I could get the spacers back on
IMG_1096.jpg2.jpg
IMG_1097.jpg2.jpg
and everything put back together.
IMG_1099.jpg2.jpg

It was finally getting closer to an end product.

IMG_1061.jpg

Next up on the list was cutting off the old rack. It was so heavy that two of us could barely move it once it was cut off. It was nice to have that weight gone, and have the ability for some utility duty.

IMG_1150.jpg3.jpg

Time for the telescoping rack and actuator brackets.

IMG_1152.jpg2.jpg
IMG_1153.jpg3.jpg

I went a little overboard on the 3/4" Heim joints! Oh well, live and learn.

IMG_1155.jpg2.jpg

More to come . . . .

KellyM

Adventurer
My wife was less than enamored with the OD paint and Beverly Hillbillies look, so let's make this look pretty with some new paint

IMG_1163.jpg2.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg2.jpg

and some Raptor liner.

IMG_1166.jpg1.jpg

I got a quote for Line-Xing the bed that was pretty high, and they wanted me to have the bed sandblasted first. The sandblasting place blasted and Raptor lined the bed, fenders and entire underbody of the trailer for the same as the quote to Line-X the bed. Time will tell as to how durable the Raptor liner is, but I am very happy with the results so far. I painted the new rack, reinstalled it and the CVT RTT, and think it is looking pretty good so far.

IMG_1167 (2).jpg3.jpg

I got a tongue box from Better Built, changed out part of the lock 'n' load hitch picked up a solar set up from Brian at Overland Solar and ordered some electrical components. Unfortunately, work got in the way and with a camping trip rapidly approaching, I decided to have pros do the electrical while I was on a nearly three work trip. I should pick it up tomorrow with new LED trailer lights, brake and breakaway wiring, battery, shore power and solar charging, functioning actuators, power to the RTT and LED lights in the RTT.

More pictures to come.

VicMackey

Adventurer
I have to tell you.......If you had said you were painting it white, I would have done my best to talk you out of it. But once the paint was on it, it actually looks pretty darn good.

The whole trailer is looking sweet!

Very cool how it matches the Jeep perfectly as well. White body with a black upper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles