The Cherokee is back?

Allof75

Pathfinder
I've been really impressed with the latest Chrysler Group outputs lately, but if the final production version of the Cherokee looks like that, I'm rather disappointed. Jeep has had an entry in the small SUV market for quite a while, but theirs were always different from the competition, in that you could always take them off road to some degree. That's what made them a Jeep. But with this they've lost it, and I think they should have either made this particular vehicle a Dodge, or made it more capable and therefore regain that Jeep uniqueness in the market.

It's unfortunate that they used the Cherokee name in an attempt to cash in on its cache. Maybe some of you have seen it, but us Nissan owners saw a similar move with the Pathfinder name, one which has almost the same level of respect to us. It's unfortunate really, but the automakers are trying to move where the money is (ever see how many CR-Vs Honda sells?) and are trying to achieve the higher CAFE goals in our US market, which mostly means the slow death of off road vehicles.

resqman911

That thing is crazy ugly. And to the people claiming that a liberty is as good of an offroad platform as an XJ, please be honest with yourself, I think the liberty is a good vehicle but if it was truely an offroad platform you would see it on the trails with all the other Jeeps.

Willy G

Adventurer
My impression of it was that someone took a Suzuki Jimny by the headlights and pulled as hard as the could,

Not a big fan of it, I really like the idea of the 1/2 ton dodge's getting a V6 diesel

GetOutThere

Adventurer
This is a total disgrace to the Cherokee. It's built on a varient of the Dodge Dart chassis. For the love of all that is Jeep, this thing should burn.

Another soft reader built by Jeep. As if the Patriot and Compass weren't already enough.

The vision and direction of this company are becoming increasingly worrisome.

ihatemybike

Explorer
That thing is crazy ugly. And to the people claiming that a liberty is as good of an offroad platform as an XJ, please be honest with yourself, I think the liberty is a good vehicle but if it was truely an offroad platform you would see it on the trails with all the other Jeeps.
You must not get out to the trails much. Lots of built Liberties are out there.

G jeep

Who cares that it is ugly? It is form over function vs function over form. If you want jeep to continue building Wrangler's then they have to build these. Government fuel economy regulations caused this. It needs to be aero to get good mpg. FWD/AWD platforms are comfortable for day to day use and fine for light wheeling. Clearance is everything off road. I cannot drive a Wrangler because my head rests on the roll bar. Patriot I can drive. Wife's Liberty I can drive, but Patriot feels roomier. Nothing wrong with the new Cherokee. It was originally to be replaced by the "Grand" Cherokee but jeep did not kill it due to it (XJ) selling well.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
You must not get out to the trails much. Lots of built Liberties are out there.

I see the KJ Liberty off road every now and then (saw one this weekend), but I've personally only seen a pic of a KK ('08-'13) on the trail. It was lifted, etc. Looked good.

- Andy

ihatemybike

Explorer
I have a few friends running lifted KKs.

Here's a nicely modded KK with custom bumpers.
AO2-3A-CIMG3611.jpg

kingg5

Adventurer
that is hardly a suv...let alone a 4wheel drive. im fairly sure a awd mk2 jetta would go just as far for a 1/3rd of the price

dox have you ever driven and used a Patriot?

Yes, I have, and it feels like I forgot my space suit. Come on... We're not going into outer space here. ALL THAT PLASTIC in the interior is just unbelievable...

One thing I have noticed about this, this new "car" is just how small the space behind the rear seat is. Has anyone noticed how SUVs in this category have their hatch space shrunk over time?

No, Jeep needs to call this one something else. This is not a Cherokee by any stretch of the imagination.

With respect to the new "Cherokee": as far as I'm concerned it's an insult to the heritage of the Cherokee name.

X 2!

I've been really impressed with the latest Chrysler Group outputs lately, but if the final production version of the Cherokee looks like that, I'm rather disappointed. Jeep has had an entry in the small SUV market for quite a while, but theirs were always different from the competition, in that you could always take them off road to some degree. That's what made them a Jeep. But with this they've lost it, and I think they should have either made this particular vehicle a Dodge, or made it more capable and therefore regain that Jeep uniqueness in the market.

It's unfortunate that they used the Cherokee name in an attempt to cash in on its cache. Maybe some of you have seen it, but us Nissan owners saw a similar move with the Pathfinder name, one which has almost the same level of respect to us. It's unfortunate really, but the automakers are trying to move where the money is (ever see how many CR-Vs Honda sells?) and are trying to achieve the higher CAFE goals in our US market, which mostly means the slow death of off road vehicles.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Banana Republic... Tell that to the people who ruined that company. Prior to the Gap's purchase of that company, it had one heck of a retail ride as a safari and travel clothing store. About the most fascinating thing I ever saw in retail clothing space. The people who ruined it also capitalized on the brand name recognition in spite of the fact that Banana Republic very specifically refers to a country with a primitive economy and kleptocratic government, and sometimes, it is a puppet of a major power. Now, apparently, it "outfits" urban professionals primarily in the US, a country that although it is a major power, it is approaching some characteristics of a banana republic (or it already has some). Apparently, the people who ruined this company had seen that this was going to happen, and there was no way that urban professionals in a decaying society were going to go without proper threads!

And so it goes with Jeep. Just imagine a commercial on TV 20 years from now with disruptive technology that does away with asphalt roads and trails (recycling the oil in these roads for other uses and restoring the land in parks to their "natural state"). "Folks, come on in! We have the perfect vehicle for you! Are you worried about the amount of roads that cover the earth's lands today? How about the damage being done to our national treasures by off-roading? Just imagine being on the trail without feeling any bumps or shocks as you float to your campsite. Yes, float to your camp site! We have the first ever functional anti-grav engine capable of carrying 2,000 lbs of people and cargo up to heights of 30 feet above the surface, or, even better! 4,000 lbs to a height of 12 feet!"

I would imagine that Jeep is quietly sharpening its design skills so that it can eventually become a premier space craft designer, if not the space craft manufacturer itself for small space craft capable of a space expedition to the Moon or Mars. That is where you need that space suit that seems missing in the Patriot.

I like it. I mean, I'm not a huge fan, but it'll probably be alright.

That is, considering it is now 2013. Move forward, or get left behind. At $4/gal for fuel, Jeep can't put out another cubed vehicle with two solid axles. The XJ Cherokee was never designed for heavy offroad use anyway. It was sold as a small family sport SUV with a light payload for mild dirt roads. Anyone who has modified an XJ knows that it doesn't tolerate heavy modification without more heavy modification. Surely with a 1.5" suspension boost and a set of decent all-terrain tires, along with modern day traction control systems, this model will probably be more capable than most of us think. I'm sure some people will chop it up and put bumpers and big tires on it eventually. It is Jeep, ya know...

If what you're looking for is a 4x4 beast with two solid axles, go buy a JK. But keep an open mind about the fact that it's not 1995 anymore.

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
I'm sure the 2014 Cherokee will be a very capable rig

...at the grocery store
...going out for a nice dinner
...the shopping mall
...and going to Vegas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles