The camp cot thread; what's good, what's bad ...

Honu

lost on the mainland
Used to own a bike shop the end caps they use to keep axles from going through the boxes would be cool to :)

PVC end caps ?

Carpet idea sounds good to :)

grogie

Like to Camp
I wasn't enjoying sleeping on the ground anymore. I picked this cot up 2 years ago after a long search for something that packed small, reasonably priced, and lightweight. I found this from Alps Mountaineering and have been very pleased.

lightweight-cot.png

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/furniture/cots/lightweight-cot

I also have a set of cots similar to these. Good to get off the ground and comfortable (but I still use a sleeping pad on top of them). They do take some muscle to setup, as my wife would not be able to. Plus, due to the size, they made a three-man size tent into a two-man. They also lead me into buying an RTT!

But still, I'll keep them as they'll be nice for guests.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
What are you guys using to prevent the feet of your cot from punching down through the bottom of the tent?

Here's what I did. Get a large-diameter pool noodle from the dollar store. Cut four pieces about 4" long. Then get a piece of carpet and cut four discs about 5" in diameter. Glue the discs to the bottoms of the noodle sections. Slip tem over the cot feet.

Honu

lost on the mainland
if they are the copy of those mine are the alps we are going to keep the bars in the cot part and roll them up long put them in a ski bag then when setting up just put in the bendy ground bars :)
those are kinda easy cause you can set it on its side its the main bars that are a real pain to get in !!!!
that way our cot setup is like under a minute each vs about 3 or more minutes each and we have 4 of them :)

I also have a set of cots similar to these. Good to get off the ground and comfortable (but I still use a sleeping pad on top of them). They do take some muscle to setup, as my wife would not be able to. Plus, due to the size, they made a three-man size tent into a two-man. They also lead me into buying an RTT!

But still, I'll keep them as they'll be nice for guests.

Bluesquids

I use some 6"x6" squares of old bassboat carpet.
Home depot has free 4" x 4" carpet samples. I'm thinking of shaving/ recessing a small area in the center with a utility knife to keep the legs from sliding off. Also, I noticed some of the samples have a much thicker plastic type backing.....more durable.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
My vote is Army cot. (have to... it's all I've ever used) Low tech, sturdy, comfy enough. Only downside is sometimes that second spreader bar is hell to get on.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I've been thinking about the cot idea for a while and finally went to Cabela's this morning to check some out.
Unfortunately being Feb. their display/selection was somewhat limited, but they had about 5 different ones setup inside a couple different tents.

I liked the Alaskan guide model for sturdiness and how comfortable it was, and it was the lowest priced one as well:
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/22464/cabelas-alaskan-guide-model-cot

The Outfitter XL cot looked good as well, but it was HUGE and you'd need a 10-12 person tent just to fit two of them, and have space to walk around:
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/62013/cabelas-outfitter-xl-cot
The other good thing that one of the staff pointed out was that it was reasonably easy to assemble, and had an adjustment for the tension of the material, making it easier to get together. The Alaskan took a bit of muscle with the end bar(s) apparently.

I'm pretty sure I've settled on the Disc-O-Bed at this point:
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/6816/disc-o-bed-cam-o-cot-bunk-bed
It is more straight forward to put together, takes up less of a footprint when it's in bunk-bed configuration, and I'll be able to have my family of 4 up and off the ground and still fit in the tent that I already own.
I think assembling this bed system may take a bit longer, but as I only have use of one arm, everything already takes me longer as is. :D
And having to "muscle" something together is never that easy for me as you could imagine.

The staff said they usually have a spring sale so I'll keep checking their site and see if I can grab the bunks for a discount and try them out at home.
I have a camping trip scheduled with a buddy for July, and hopefully I can push my wife into actually taking the boys camping this year. (She's been more than a little reluctant up to this point...)

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
TAB, I have the discobed and am very happy with the cots. That said, they're a little heavy and take a little time to set up. There are a couple steps during the assembly that may be difficult with only one one arm. I chose the discobed because of the room that it saves in the tent...and because I knew my kids would think that it was totally awesome to have bunk beds in the tent.

Check out the Easy Cot from Byer. I was close to getting these because of the sheer simplicity, quick setup and small pack down size. You also get to stow items under them.

Hope this helps..

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
It took me about 45 minutes to get to Cabela's yesterday, so any location closer to the north side of the city, or Sherwood Park would be awesome.

EDIT: Sorry this was in reply to Jason's (digitaldelay's) post a couple above.

bad dog

Observer
I have 2 Cabellas cots. They are the Outfitter XLs. I use them in my tent or with the cot tent in everything from winter camping to extended summer trips. They are Huge! But very well made and easy to set up. I use the cot pad as well. Super comfortable. We even use them as guest beds when we have lots of visitors at the house.

9enape4y.jpg

8a9e8ehe.jpg

Now you're running with the dog!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles