-The Bucksmobile- 1987 E350 Falcon Project

turboxr

Well here we go. I've introduced myself but never had a proper thread on the Portal. I'm Joe. I own a small dealership in Northwest Arkansas. I specialize in 80s and 90s sports cars. Other than that I do a lot of OBS and down Fords. I have very ecclectic tastes. I'm a huge Merkur guy and own one of only a few shops in the country that specializes in them. However, I love all things vehicular. I've owned several Heeps, Rovers (including RRC Great Divide Edition #247) and a few Troopers. Fun stuff. One thing I've always wanted to build is an Expo rig. I've gotten close to starting a few times on a few of my Rovers and a Suburban or two I've owned, but I never got around to starting. About 5 years back, my grandfather who's nickname was 'Bucks' (I've never known why exactly. I suppose it has something sarcastic to do with money -haha) died. He was followed a couple of years later by my grandmother. They were a big part of my life. They owned an 87 E350 Falcon RV. They drove it all over the country to visit their grandchildren and see their important events and be a part of their lives. They didn't leave this worl with much of worth, but they left the RV. My uncle tried selling it in Idaho a while to recoup some of their final expenses, but I couldn't let it go to someone outside the family, so here it is: The Bucksmobile.

Its a 460 gasser. I've never owned an RV. Don't kniw much about them. This will be a slow build. And a steep learning curve. The plan:

-Tune up, check all the systems, fix whatever isn't working.
-New generator (this one is toast according to my cousin.)
-Replace the rusty doors, do some rust repair here and there.
-4x4 conversion (05 and up control arm/coil spring I hope.)
-Maybe matching dually rear end for stability, or maybe just some good spacers.
-305's?
-Rip out and replace carpet, seats. Reupholster and repanel the entire interior. It's gross.
-Bumpers, winch, rack, spare tire carrier.
-Cheap paint job and some kind of world map vinyl.

Im sure I'll be asking for lots of advice. Thanks!

turboxr

In the most boring build thread of all time, I present to you, some progress:

A year later, I began gutting the thing. I pulled up most of the carpet, some of the subfloor, and the kitchenette.

I decided the best course of action is to gut pretty much everything because everywhere I look in the van, I see a sea of mauve, burgundy, shagpile, fake wood, and claustrophobia. The plan is to minimalize and downsize everything so there is more room. I'll be looking into:

-Smaller kitchenette (possibly custom) with an electric cooktop for simplicity.
-Full remodel of the bathroom. Not sure if I want to keep the toilet system. Possibly a porta toilette or cassette toilet? Feel free to chime in.
-More intelligent storage solutions. I feel like there is a lot of wasted space in there.
-What materials are good for wall coverings? I want some sort of white paneling that is flexible but relatively cheap.

After I get it liveable, then the 4x4 conversion will happen. I feel like that will be the easy part. I also started some rust repair. The doors had some major surface stuff that would have become holes so I took care of them. There was an existing rust hole which I've cut out and will make a patch panel as soon as I can get to it.

Some of the before:

After:

Onwards!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Weld tech has been developing some 2wd kits for those rigs... Unless you need 4 driven wheels they have good options.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Having been in the situation of removing a black water plumbed toilet and then reinstalling I would say keep it. When I bought my B190 I thought that there was no way in heck I would use a shower or toilet, was right about the shower and dead wrong about the toilet, turns out that the humans of female persuasion reeeeaaallly like having a built in business settler. (and to be perfectly honest after a couple or late night uses I was a believer too) I agree about the 4x4 offerings, if you really need it then go for it but if you can get buy with 2wd a lift and possibly a locker if you really are going to push it, you will have a lot more funny money for traveling and using that fine beast!!!

turboxr

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. I will eventually do the 4x4 conversion. That's always been a must. Can't say I'll use it a whole lot, but would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I have a Class B van with head in the rear. Typical 24 x 30 rv shower on one side, toilet in center. It works and I hate it. There is barely enough room in the shower for my feet, and half that for my head and shoulders because the space narrows at the top.

If I was going to start from scratch, I'd use a cassette toilet mounted to the side (don't need much headroom when sitting down) with a shower pan in the center.

And forget about dualies. If you need it for weight or heavy towing, then fine, but for off road duals have several disadvantages.

bronconite

Observer
I decided the best course of action is to gut pretty much everything because everywhere I look in the van, I see a sea of mauve, burgundy, shagpile, fake wood, and claustrophobia. The plan is to minimalize and downsize everything so there is more room. I'll be looking into:

-Smaller kitchenette (possibly custom) with an electric cooktop for simplicity.
-Full remodel of the bathroom. Not sure if I want to keep the toilet system. Possibly a porta toilette or cassette toilet? Feel free to chime in.
-More intelligent storage solutions. I feel like there is a lot of wasted space in there.
-What materials are good for wall coverings? I want some sort of white paneling that is flexible but relatively cheap.

I'm really looking forward to see how you proceed with this. I have basically the same van, a '90 coachman, and many of the same ideas of changes that need to be made, right down to the Mauve and shag :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier