The Brute Rebuild / Refurb / Rehab Thread

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Doods

Well, its been off road, (Senator Highway, 4 Peaks, and a few un named trails), played in the snow, got stuck in the sand and learned to use the winch,
been through two tanks of diesel (845 miles from a 25 gal tank) getting an average 33-38 miles a gal depending on how i drive, answered a billion
questions of "Is that a diesel?" and in short having a damn fine time dialing my new toy in.

Will post some pictures of the snow trip later.

Yetters

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Doods

Well, its been off road, (Senator Highway, 4 Peaks, and a few un named trails), played in the snow, got stuck in the sand and learned to use the winch,
been through two tanks of diesel (845 miles from a 25 gal tank) getting an average 33-38 miles a gal depending on how i drive, answered a billion
questions of "Is that a diesel?" and in short having a damn fine time dialing my new toy in.

Will post some pictures of the snow trip later.

Yetters

Wow, that is some exceptional mileage - the stuff of dreams for a Jeep really.
Congratulations on getting it all sorted out and running so well!

-Dan

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Wow, that is some exceptional mileage - the stuff of dreams for a Jeep really.
Congratulations on getting it all sorted out and running so well!

-Dan

Dan

Thanks, its a real pleasure to drive and even more fun to play with off road.

Its on the lift right now getting the rear lockers and a few more things added on for March
and Moab. Add to that paint and a new sound system and we will have a head turner for sure!

Yetters

Riley

Observer
Any updated pics of the project? Engine install would be great!!

As you are probably pretty familiar with it at this point, thoughts as to how to improve/manage the conversion process?

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Riley

The Brute is currently in the paint shop so look for a photo shoot report around mid May.

Thoughts? Well there are a load of them. First and foremost, just send it to Coty Built and have the conversion done. Trying to do it here without the
benefits of their staff is just silly. We are playing with different tire and wheel combos for mileage / performance questions and seeing if we can
answer the question on how to snorkel or fresh air the motor better.

In all a fun project, possibly for sale in the next few months if you don't want to build you own.

Yetters

Riley

Observer
Sounds great! I'll be looking for it to pop up.

Based on your experience do you think they will be able to finesse their install kits for "home" assembly in the future? Or is it really just too much?

I ask because it sounded like during your rather extensive ordeal several issues were resolved in specific design areas rather then install issues. If they apply what they learned through what almost seems like your "beta test", could they get the complexity to a "do it your self" level?

Just wondering because it seems like the conversion really meets many of the desires of the shade tree crowd if it can, in fact, be accomplished at home.

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Riley

I think home or shade tree is a bit too much for this sort of mod. When we tried to do it here in Phoenix the installer had ZERO docs from the
company nas to where things went and why, subsequently we had a variety of problems and issues that could have been sorted by the company
in their own shop, no problem. Also, there was a LOT of custom machining, parts that had to be modded and parts and pieces that they don't
include in the "kit" that we were delivered.

Long story shorter version?

Have Coty Built do it and save the headaches and a dump truck full of money.

Yetters

Riley

Observer
Roger. I guess you said that in the first place but I was looking for some better detail as to the why; which you provided. Thanks!

Really a great project and looking forward to the unveiling!!

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Riley

Will post here when we get further along. Stopped by the shop today and the Brute is in parts and there is much sanding and prepping
going on. It should be a real show stopper when its done.

I will hate to see it go away, but my dream of buying a dive shop in the Caribbean is about to become reality and i can't take it with me.

Yetters

big a

Adventurer
I was wondering after all the trouble and time you've gone through with this project why you'd sell it! Makes sense now! Good for you! Look forward to seeing it done!
-Andy

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Andy

Yep, I had a short bucket list. Year long overlanding trip and retire and owns dive shop in the Caribbean. Well the dive shop i have used and desired for years came up for sale
and the price is too low to pass up. So? we sell what we can't take, say aloha to those we will be sure to meet again (like who does not want to have a friend in paradise to couch
surf?) and depart for the next great adventure of life.

Besides, diving is like overlanding, just more water!:sombrero:

Yetters

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Andy

Yep, I had a short bucket list. Year long overlanding trip and retire and owns dive shop in the Caribbean. Well the dive shop i have used and desired for years came up for sale
and the price is too low to pass up. So? we sell what we can't take, say aloha to those we will be sure to meet again (like who does not want to have a friend in paradise to couch
surf?) and depart for the next great adventure of life.

Besides, diving is like overlanding, just more water!:sombrero:

Yetters

Sounds awesome, I wish you the best of luck!

Do you mind saying where the shop is (town?)

I absolutely love diving, and it would be great to swing through, one day in the distant future!

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94