The Brute Rebuild / Refurb / Rehab Thread

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
OK

The new turbo is here and getting installed, wiring problem was cured with new plug ins and a bit of rewiring.

If it cures the overheating issue, we might be driving this weekend!

Yetters

overheating troubleshooting

On your overheating problem, it is easy to isolate the cause of overheating by looking at the temperature differential across the radiator. By design, a normal cooling system will have about an 8 to 15 deg F (5 to 8 deg C) temperature drop across the radiator with the thermostat fully open.

If the temp drop during the overheat situation is less than this, it indicates an airflow problem - fan / shroud / plugged fins on radiator / insufficient surface area of radiator (too small) / etc.
If the temp drop during the overheat situation is more than this, it indicates a waterflow problem - thermostat not opening / low flow from water pump / radiator core too restrictive / collapsed hoses / etc.

Since your overheating only occurs at high speed when there is high airflow present, it would seem to indicate a probable waterflow problem - testing the temperature differential can confirm this.

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Update

Guys

First, thanks for all the comments and support. Good people here, good community.

The Brute is going to Cotybuilt in the second week of Sept for what will hopefully be
its one and only trip to the motherland to get it running right. All attempts here have
failed so the folks there asked for me to ship it to them and they will have their
entire team to work on it, as well as the resources of their shops.

I know i am into this thing too deep to give up now, so lets see if this works!

Yetters

screwball48

Explorer
Bummer on the jeep. Hope that it all gets sorted out and that you can get years of enjoyment out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Well,

The car carrier just pulled away with the Brute perched on top, next stop Canada and Coty Built / HPA Motorsports. They have promised a quick and painless
fix to the many issues plaguing the build, as well as a good deal on whatever the labor charges might be.

Fingers crossed, and we might just get this Jeep where it belongs, exploring the back country of AZ!

Yetters

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Well,

The car carrier just pulled away with the Brute perched on top, next stop Canada and Coty Built / HPA Motorsports. They have promised a quick and painless
fix to the many issues plaguing the build, as well as a good deal on whatever the labor charges might be.

Fingers crossed, and we might just get this Jeep where it belongs, exploring the back country of AZ!

Yetters

Good luck, I hope it comes together for you.
I'm learning first hand how much more involved a diesel conversion is that I had ever dreamed.

Hopefully I'll be in AZ in the 1st or 2nd week of October.

-Dan

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Any word from Coty Built?

Nan

Plenty.

The two biggest issues, overheating and vibration have been addressed and identified. The overheating issue is a combo of the pump for the
intercooler is mounted too high, so it cavatates (sp) under load and causes some of the overheating, also, the engine and tranny is mounted
4 inches too far forward which is causing airflow issues, as well as the vibration from the tranny mount point. They are currently taking the
motor and tranny out and fabing new mount points, as well as addressing the pump and a few other issues. It should be home to me in the first
part of Nov, as i leave for a dive trip to Palau in a few days and won't be home till then. Will keep everyone here up to date on the goings on and
hopefully get out in the dirt soon.

Yetters

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Do you think your brute will be reliable as an overland rig? Say as reliable as a stock wrangler?
I do not know much about diesel engines and nothing about diesel conversions but it seems like it has been a pain in the butt so far.

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Do you think your brute will be reliable as an overland rig? Say as reliable as a stock wrangler?
I do not know much about diesel engines and nothing about diesel conversions but it seems like it has been a pain in the butt so far.

Jake

Not only will it be as reliable, it will be more. This is a purpose built rig with the diesel providing more power for less weight and more range
due to the diesel. I am going to use it for a Tierra del Fuego to USA trip so having the both factors had to be considered.

Has it been a PITA?, yes it has, but anything good and amazing does not happen overnight and not without some pain and suffering of all
people involved.

Yetters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles