"The Blue" - 06 Tundra DC Limited - Backcountry Camping Build/Adventure Thread

ns7i

I'd like to introduce you all to "The Blue," my 2006 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab. It's name comes from diving (and the color of the truck). Normally you've got a reef or some ground as a point of reference when you're diving but sometimes you go out into The Blue to look for a big water creatures like a school of hammerhead sharks. It can be an uncomfortable disorienting place but it's unlike anything on land.

Here's how she looked the day after I bought her:

5N4B6hC.jpg

Here she is as of June 2022:

bwBLJ3eh.jpg

The Background and Search
In February, I sold my 2016 Toyota 4Runner that I'd built out. Unfortunately I never did a build thread. I bought a rusty old 1993 Land Cruiser for next to nothing to get around but it turned into more trouble than I think it's worth (thanks Iowa salty roads). For about 2 months I searched almost nationwide for an 05-06 Tundra DC. I wanted to ensure this was a rig that would last a long time and that would be ready to build out for exploring the mountains and deserts of the west. It was a frustrating search. These trucks are hard to find. I remember seeing a rust free well cared for specimen pop up in Amarillo, called first thing the next day, got the pics and info I wanted and was giving a deposit by 10am but was interrupted by someone else making a deposit. These trucks are hard to find and I can see why. I was very happy to find this truck within about an hours drive. I bought her with 152k miles. Minimal surface rust on the under carriage, paint is in great shape, interior is in great shape and she runs awesome.

The Purpose
We all know the importance of deciding a purpose for a truck before you start planning a build. I live in Wyoming so I can enjoy the outdoors. The 4Runner loaded with gear, two dogs, a wife, and 1 year old was getting crowded. Also, having a 1 year old changes camping (and everything else)a. Before having a kid we camped about 10-15 nights a year. I want to streamline our camping experience so it's easier to get out (esp with the little guy). I want to be able to get a bit further back into the mountains than most and drive the trails in Colorado and Utah (Wyoming oddly enough has few 4x4 trails). I chose the 06 Tundra because I know it'll be reliable, fit my family comfortably, and I have plenty of payload to create a more streamlined camping experience.

The Plan
I'm looking to find that happy medium between adding off road capability and maintaining the factory reliability of a Toyota. I'm not looking to do any high speed desert prerunning, nor am I looking to build a rock crawler trailer queen with a SAS on 40s. I'm looking to make my rig a bit bigger, add some armor but for now I want to maintain the factory look. I'll be adding an OVRLND camper so I'm saving most of the rear suspension upgrades for later.

Upcoming Mods
Diff Breather Extension
Camper buildout
Upgrading to 700lbs coil springs in the front

Mods/Maintenance
2022-05-05 - OVRLND Camper!
Several other Oil changes lol
2020-10-03 - 155765 - Oil change - Mobil1 Full Syn High Mileage Ext Performance
2020-08-01 - Removed running boards and installed Front and Oilpan skid plates from Skid Row
2020-07-30 - Timing belt, plugs, coolant, transmission, transfer/diff, brake, and power steering flush
2020-07-15 - Toyota's 150 point inspection, passenger airbag recall
2020-07-13 - Bought, courtesy oil change
SCS Stealth 6 17" 4.3" BS
Skid Row Transmission/Transfer Case skids
BFG KO2 285/70/17 Load E
White Knuckle Sliders
Icon Stage 2 suspension incl AAL, SPC UCA, OEM LBJ and CV half shafts

This is my first build thread. I've always soaked up the information from online forums like this one, T4R, IH8MUD and now Tundras.com and Tundra Solutions. I'm excited to document my journey both in terms of the builds and the places this truck goes. I'm also excited to hear feedback as I contemplate directions I go. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

ns7i

This weekend, I got a new toy:

9QVWYij.jpg

Seemed like removing the Limited running boards would be a great way to test this bad boy out. Where have you been all my life?

Looks so much better without the running boards (and I'm going to need to make room for the sliders when they get here in Sept)

zSLco2X.jpg

With that quick win, I figured I'd go for another quick win and started installing the Skid Row skid plates I received earlier this week. I made it through the front and oil plan skids before needed a better drill bit for drilling through the transmission cross member. I'll do this probably next weekend (Transfer case skid doesn't get here till Weds anyways)

cgk7h2M.jpg

Beautiful truck. If I could make a suggestion, skip the Icon AAL. Or at least consider another manufacturer. I put an ICON AAL on my 02 and it was a complete waste of money. I should have just bought new leaf packs. If you are dead set on an AAL, consider Wheeler's. People seem to have better luck with those. I got zero lift out of ICON AAL and I don't think it helped much with ass sag either(when loaded). I'll be buying new leaf packs soon.

ns7i

Beautiful truck. If I could make a suggestion, skip the Icon AAL. Or at least consider another manufacturer. I put an ICON AAL on my 02 and it was a complete waste of money. I should have just bought new leaf packs. If you are dead set on an AAL, consider Wheeler's. People seem to have better luck with those. I got zero lift out of ICON AAL and I don't think it helped much with ass sag either(when loaded). I'll be buying new leaf packs soon.
I'm probably going to order a Vagabond Drifter or Nomad here shortly and I'm planning to add a custom Deaver leaf pack when I do that. We'll see how the Icon AAL works for me. I haven't heard the best things.

ns7i

Installed the Panavise mount. It required drilling 4 non visible holes into the dash but gave a sturdy place for a RAM mount ball. Added X-Grip + Wireless charger to that. May eventually use this spot to mount my Kenwood D710G VHF/UHF radio.

gOFDdde.jpg

ns7i

Also, added transmission and transfer case skids. All the Skid Row skids have been trouble free until the transfer case. It said to drill into the chassis for this one but there was already a hole in one side and a bolt in the other. The fit was.... very tight but was able to reuse the bolt on the drivers side and the hole on the passenger side. I also had to use some washers that weren't prescribed for some of the other holes to prevent the nuts from falling through the hole. Nice to have some peace of mind with skids from front to transfer case.

knlJIWy.jpg

ns7i

I just noticed the power inverter switch in the background of this. Was that a factory option on the Limiteds? I didn't realize the first gens ever got such a thing.
It seems factory, I've only had this truck for about a month. I haven't tried it out but sure enough there's an AC plug in the rear of the center console.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Beautiful truck there!

I built up a 2006 DoubleCab. I have a thread on here but many of the pics no longer show up. Here's a video:

^ Since the video was made, I have replaced the Dometic fridge. Going with twin Engels instead.

That skid plate is great. You may need some spacers eventually if you lift the front and use a diff drop.

I used the Toytec BOSS kit including AAL and extended shocks in rear. Has worked out very well.

I basically had the same goals as you and mine has worked out fabulously. Blue is the best color. Having a LImited is always great. I have to say though, cloth seats work out better for an overland utility truck in some ways.

ns7i

Beautiful truck there!

I built up a 2006 DoubleCab. I have a thread on here but many of the pics no longer show up. Here's a video:

^ Since the video was made, I have replaced the Dometic fridge. Going with twin Engels instead.

That skid plate is great. You may need some spacers eventually if you lift the front and use a diff drop.

I used the Toytec BOSS kit including AAL and extended shocks in rear. Has worked out very well.

I basically had the same goals as you and mine has worked out fabulously. Blue is the best color. Having a LImited is always great. I have to say though, cloth seats work out better for an overland utility truck in some ways.
I really enjoyed your video. Awesome truck. How do you like the twin Engels? I'm thinking about a National Luna dual zone fridge. That'll be a little ways down the line though. Maybe spring 2021 at the earliest. Thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94